Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu It's Really OK If Japan Dumps Radioactive Fukushima Water Into The Ocean honeypot

Author Topic: It's Really OK If Japan Dumps Radioactive Fukushima Water Into The Ocean  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
No, God.....not TRITIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 100,000,000,000,000,000 most deadliest thing on EARTH!!!

Ohhh the Humanity!!!
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
The article does a decent job trying to explain the innocence of the actual hazard.  Just saying 250,000 gallons doesn't mean much. Hopefully the Japanese follow protocol and sample it for content and spread out the release to meet limits.
It's not even remotely close to pure tritiated water of course.  Greenpeace is apparently clueless on the whole topic.  Besides what the article mentions as sources, it's also dumped straight into any US city's sanitary sewer waste at 5 curies/year by facilities.

Offline RadTek

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I thought the article written by James Conca did an excellent job of laying out the science.  In principle, I am not happy about anyone dumping into the ocean simply because of the huge dilution ratio it presents.  It almost assumes that the ocean's properties are pure when in fact they have been used as a free dumping place for all manner of waste.  The article never explained the alternate true cost of storing the waste until its tritium decayed to a lower level.  While the article nicely pointed to the fact that the storage tank levels were below typical ocean concentrations, it never disclosed whether all tanks were at this level or simply averaged across all 250 million gallons.  It left me skeptical that some tanks might actually be much higher concentrations.   In conclusion, I am grateful to Mr. Conca for his excellent article, but I would want more information before agreeing with his conclusion, however, correct his conclusions might be.  Hopefully, when the expert panel reviews all the details, they will make the best decision and not skip to the cheap dumping option that mankind all too often gravitates to.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
I thought the article written by James Conca...

perspective,....

There are over 400 billion curies of potassium-40 in ocean water,' 40 billion curies of rubidium-87, and 100 million curies of radium. There is over a billion curies of uranium-238, all natural, and the top inch of the ocean floor contains several millions more. The Mississippi, just one large river of dozens adds 363 curies each year: 190 in the water, and 173 in the sediments focused and concentrated in the delta and northern Gulf of Mexico, the source of 20 million pounds per year on average of palatable and radiologically benign shrimp catches for three generations back and more,....

Fish are very accustomed to radiation, it is rampant in the water they breath, the plants and other creatures they consume,....

don't worry, be happy, Godzilla is just a fantasy monster comic book/movie franchise,...

so is the the Thing, Spider Man, The Hulk, et al,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?