Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RIP: Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant Shuts Down Last Reactor honeypot

Author Topic: RIP: Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant Shuts Down Last Reactor  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
The last reactor at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania is officially closed as of Friday.
About 300 of the plant’s employees will stay to aid in the first phase of this process. Others are taking different roles with Exelon while some chose to retire or look elsewhere for employment, per Exelon. The impacts of its closure are very real for the people who depended on it for their income.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/rip-to-a-real-one-three-mile-island-nuclear-power-plan-1838292648

mjd

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
"The last reactor at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania—the site of the worst nuclear plant meltdowns in the U.S"

Which killed ZERO and had ZERO health effects besides "anxiety" thanks to our wonderful regulator, the NRC. Well done, boys......the hydrogen bubble inside the primary system is about to explode!!! (although simple physics shows it cannot)

When it comes to supporting "clean energy", I loathe this country so very much.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

TechSuper

I had a long past with the folks at TMI, started there in 1972 and left there the anniversary of the incident 2 years later. Will never forget the great people that I worked with, both Union and non-Union. I am sorry for the impact that some of my decision making had on some people back in those times, only wanted what, I thought at that time, was in the best interest of the RP/Chem folks. As I see it now, the changes that were made to improve training and skills sets of those folks were the best thing that could have happened. I only wanted what was what I thought was the best for everyone.  Bad decision.  Good luck to all of you, those that I knew and those that I did not. It is a shame that such a situation could affect so many.

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
I worked one outage there in the 90"s and all I'll say is they had a unique way of getting through an outage that I had not seen anywhere else.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
I wonder how many solar or wind plants are out there that pump out 800 mw with a 95% capacity factor night or day no matter what the weather?  And if there were any, what would the uproar be if they were shutdown?  There would be people chaining themselves to the towers/panels.  It would be nice if this country would screw it's head on straight.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
I worked one outage there in the 90"s and all I'll say is they had a unique way of getting through an outage that I had not seen anywhere else.

I worked outages there in the '90s,....

I liked it, but that late summer-early fall weather was less than amenable to my cold-blooded nature,....

My favorite house folks were P.V. and V.T., straight up decent guys,...
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2019, 07:43 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
On the subject of green. Approx. a 15mi. mean free path to the south of the now defunct Kewaunee Power Station is the location of a solar facility underway as of this writing. A whopping 150mw will be available from the 1300 farmland acres where the facility will reside. The host group is Two Creeks Solar LLC, a subsidiary of Nextera Energy Resources. Yes, that Nextera that currently operates the Point Beach nuclear facility and a few others. It will take a person with good search skills(wink,nod) to find the dollar estimate on the project as the hosts have managed to embed that data behind a cloak of regulatory gobble dee gook. Land alone in that area is 6K/acre. As a proud former employee of one of the finest nuclear plants in the world - the rivet point is that the minuscule flow of electrons put out by this facility will eventually flow through the same lines that provided an annual average output of 3752 GW-h to surrounding communities. The sonz a beaches. PS - Yes Giga really is one billion aka 1E9. We could crunch numbers to ascertain the equivalent in solar numbers - but why. Its being built - much to the chagrin of the Point Beach Dodo, an indigenous species native to the area.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2019, 11:41 by fiveeleven »

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
this is TMIs first reactor.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Three Mile Island’s recent closure shows what people don’t realize about nuclear power

https://nypost.com/2019/09/22/three-mile-islands-recent-closure-shows-what-people-dont-realize-about-nuclear-power/

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
They realize it, they just refuse to admit it. It's not that they are in denial, they are just in negligence.

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
I have to say, this is a depressing outage. It's tough realizing what we're tearing apart won't be put together again. It's a shame seeing a good reactor go to waste...
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
I wonder how many solar or wind plants are out there that pump out 800 mw with a 95% capacity factor night or day no matter what the weather?  And if there were any, what would the uproar be if they were shutdown?  There would be people chaining themselves to the towers/panels.  It would be nice if this country would screw it's head on straight.

There are ZERO.....in the world.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline ComfortInn_AberdeenMD

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
How does this effect peachbottom outtages. ??? ?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

the same number of outage personnel available to work fewer outages,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
it means you will sell less rooms as moor workers fore peachbottom outages will commute from home.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?