Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sleep Apnea then Discharge  

Author Topic: Sleep Apnea then Discharge  (Read 4522 times)

Offline What can I do

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Sleep Apnea then Discharge
« on: Nov 25, 2019, 01:55 »
---------------/Redacted/---------------
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2019, 11:14 by What can I do »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: Sleep Apnea then Discharge
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2019, 02:34 »
Falling asleep or drifting off has always been a big deal in the Nuclear Power Industry whether its medical related or not. Example...

NRC - "Why were you inattentive while guarding the LHRA boundary into containment?"

You - "I have sleep apnea and it sometimes makes me very tired"

NRC - "LHRA violation"

If you do get "welcomed" back into the Nuclear Power Industry, may I suggest getting a prescription for Provigil. Not only was it designed for people with sleep apnea, it can also be prescribed to individuals who work shift (which I assume you will being doing as an EO). I've been taking it for 11 years while working shift.

"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline What can I do

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 03:18 »
I know people at the plant that I was going to with Sleep Apnea(2 of them are SROs and one is an RO). The whole problem I had with the way it was handled, is that I didn't return to work after starting treatment. I have a Bi-PAP machine and provigil. They can't say with certainty that I'm more than capable of doing the training. My case is very odd. I only ever have that issue in a classroom type setting. The entire two years at my automotive job (both computer work and hands on) I had no issues. However when I was in college I experienced it a lot. I just didn't have familiarity with sleep apnea. I just thought I was naturally tired and studied a lot more to compensate for anything I missed during class.

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 06:05 »
1: You obviously cannot do the job. You should be terminated

2: Not an NRC concern.

3: I think you are shading the truth

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2019, 06:50 »
I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea almost 20 years ago. I was a site manager at the time and Mondays doing payroll was a struggle not because I felt tired but because it was a struggle to stay awake it was like something was trying to turn me off like a switch. My wife heard about sleep apnea from someone and talked me into doing the sleep tests. Glad she did, after a month of using it I finally felt tired not the tension to stay awake not sure how to explain it any other way. I started to dream again something I had not realized I had not done for a while. This can be a very serious condition don't take it lightly. My blood oxygen fell to %75 percent at one point during the test normal is %95 and you are put on O2 if you fall below %85 at many hospitals. Many deaths that had been diagnosed as heart failure were in fact due to complications from sleet apnea.

On the employment side you must be able to perform the required job especially when public safety is part of your responsibility, there is no set aside for handicaps. It is the licensee'responsibility to ensure compliance with regulations it is yours to demonstrate compliance with the companies expectations. If you are using your CPAP religiously there is no reason you cannot do that provided that is the only reason you cannot stay alert at work.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:19 »
I use a CPAP. Have never had an issue since using it.

This whole episode sounds as if facts are being shaded.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:58 »
I use a CPAP. Have never had an issue since using it.

This whole episode sounds as if facts are being shaded.

I took it as a venting session while he waits on a determination on his recourse letter and concerns about options if the answer is no. He could be throwing shade but it could be that management got lazy and took the easy way out using a normally no never mind issue and used it to get rid of a perceived problem.

My  [2cents]

TVA

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:14 »
I doubt it. They arent going to stress over a CPAP and the non sleep issues he brings up are wah wah wah

Offline What can I do

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:07 »
I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea almost 20 years ago. I was a site manager at the time and Mondays doing payroll was a struggle not because I felt tired but because it was a struggle to stay awake it was like something was trying to turn me off like a switch. My wife heard about sleep apnea from someone and talked me into doing the sleep tests. Glad she did, after a month of using it I finally felt tired not the tension to stay awake not sure how to explain it any other way. I started to dream again something I had not realized I had not done for a while.

This sounds exactly like I was going through. In fact, I’ve described it as flipping a switch to my doctor when I was asking her about sleep apnea. I don’t think there’s a better way to describe how sudden and unexpected it is. Also I have started dreaming since I started therapy. I don’t remember dreaming at all since I was a child.

I have something I want to ask you that I’ve talked to the sleep doctor about. They’re not sure what to do about it. Maybe two nights a week at random, I swallow air while using my BiPAP. It causes you to get bloated and distended I don’t think the pressure is too high, because it would be more frequent if it was. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2019, 08:17 by What can I do »

Offline What can I do

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:15 »
1: You obviously cannot do the job. You should be terminated

2: Not an NRC concern.

3: I think you are shading the truth

As far as number one goes, I completely agree. If I am not able to do the job, then I should be terminated. However, they don’t know that to be a fact. I was unable to return to work after getting treatment. No one that has sleep apnea can work very well without treatment. I had a testing average of 96 while going through training untreated as well.

Number 2: Thank you. I wasn’t really sure. I thought that discrimination being a federal crime might be an issue for the NRC. I appreciate your clarification.

Number 3: I don’t know what more you expect me to say, but you have the right to your own opinion.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2019, 10:10 »
I have something I want to ask you that I’ve talked to the sleep doctor about. They’re not sure what to do about it. Maybe two nights a week at random, I swallow air while using my BiPAP. It causes you to get bloated and distended I don’t think the pressure is too high, because it would be more frequent if it was. Any ideas?

If you are using a BiPAP instead of a CPAP you have medical issues on top of sleep apnea. Talk to your doctor.

https://www.sleepassociation.org/sleep-treatments/cpap-machines-masks/cpap-vs-bipap/
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2019, 10:11 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?