Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Am I heading in the right direction? honeypot

Author Topic: Am I heading in the right direction?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline MEB1997

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Am I heading in the right direction?
« on: Nov 21, 2019, 02:54 »
I was recently accepted into the Nuclear Technology program (AAS) at Lake shore Technical college in Cleveland, Wisconsin.  This program seems legitimate, and the NRC offers a generous scholarship to those who study there full time.

My interest in physics paired with my dislike of American universities (as well as several other reasons) has led me to consider starting off with a two year Nuc Tech program. However I am concerned that this path  may not be fulfilling or even be able to set me up to follow a more fulfilling path later on if I do well (Nuclear engineering, for example)

What I'm trying to say is, could an AAS like this open the door to higher education down the road? In other words, would universities respect this degree? Would most of you who already work in the industry respect (read: hire) someone trying to get in with this kind of education?

I know very little about this field and would greatly appreciate some advice!

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Am I heading in the right direction?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2019, 02:24 »
I know nothing about the school, but where there's a nuclear plant like Point Beach nearby, there's going to be a feeder school popping up to support their HP/nuclear skill-set needs.

Offline Nuke1315

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 02:54 »
I received an AAS Nuclear Technology from Lakeshore Tech.  I’m currently a non-licensed operator at a nuclear power plant. 

The degree is certainly enough to get you employed, but with how few jobs are available at any given time, it isn’t easy.  It took me two years after I graduated until I was finally hired.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, and good luck! 

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 06:12 »
Interviewed two. Didnt hire two.
That had more to do with them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?