Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Diablo Canyon NLO- Good Place to start?? honeypot

Author Topic: Diablo Canyon NLO- Good Place to start??  (Read 5333 times)

Offline pickle1991

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Diablo Canyon NLO- Good Place to start??
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:59 »
hello,

First thank you for the wealth of information found on these boards.

I recently applied and tested for PG&E. I have passed the testing portion and am now waiting to hear if I will get an interview. My question is would this be a good place to start a career as an NLO with hopes of becoming an SRO? My plan was to work until the plant closes and apply elsewhere to join an SRO license class. Given the PG&E bankruptcy and the plant closing in 2024, will I be setting myself up for future failure? Is it best to try to get on somewhere else that won't be closing in 4 years?

Also does anyone currently working there have any insight to the general morale at the plant and contract negotiations?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Diablo Canyon NLO- Good Place to start??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2019, 05:30 »
I don't work there, but with the plant closing in 4 years, you're probably not going to be there long enough to get to license class. After you leave, you'll be starting at a new plant in a different area, most likely as an NLO again. Unless you have an overwhelming desire to live in CA, you're probably better off looking somewhere else. That being said, if you live in the area, just want to get the experience, and don't mind qualifying as an NLO a second time, having experience qualifying as an NLO will probably make the move to a new plant easier, and the time might qualify you for Direct SRO elsewhere (emphasis on might).

Offline pickle1991

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:16 »
Hi MMM, thank you for your reply. I agree with what you said, but being as I'm not in the industry why would it be more likely to be an NLO a second time instead of going direct SRO or RO? I may be naive but is that not very plausible? I know there will be tough competition in the applicant pool. Assuming I meet the qualifications to apply for a direct SRO or RO slot, what additional barriers will I face, or what is your thinking on that?

Note: I realize it may seem like I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I what to find out the holes in my thinking since this plant will be closing in the near future and I need to plan accordingly. 

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:02 »
There are specific requirements to become an RO and SRO. With no experience you start at NLO. To become an SRO you need to have nuclear plant supervisory experience, specifically you have to have been responsible for directly controlling reactor power, at a commercial plant, that means RO. To become an RO, you have to have a few years of plant operations, I think two, but don't quote me on that. Once the requirements are met, you go through the two year license class. The specifics are in ACAD 10-001, although that might be a little out of date.
Basically, even if you fully qualify as an NLO at Diablo Canyon, they probably won't have a license class for you to go to. When you go to the next plant, you probably won't meet the requirements for direct RO (if they even allow them), so you'd start over as an NLO, although you might be fast tracked through quals due to previous experience.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:02 »
Candidates must meet both of the following qualifications for Reactor Operator Eligibility, as outlined in INPO ACAD 10-001, Figure 2-1.

Qualification 1 - At least 36 months of power plant experience. This qualification can be met through a combination of commercial and navy power plant experience as well as education.
Commercial power plant experience at either a fossil or nuclear plant
Up to 9 months (of the 36 months) may be met with an Associate of Science Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or related science
Up to 18 months (of the 36 months) may be met with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or related science, or a professional engineering license
Navy nuclear experience (Experience will be credited in accordance to ACAD10-001)

AND

Qualification 2 - Candidate must meet ONE of the following:

At least 12 months performing plant operational duties as a nonlicensed operator at a comparable (BWR/PWR) facility (qualified for all power block and safety systems operational duties)

-OR-

At least 6 months performing plant operational duties as an ACTIVE licensed reactor operator (per 10 CFR 55.53(e)) at a comparable (BWR/PWR) facility

-OR-

At least 24 months in position equivalent to the reactor operator position at a military reactor (qualified to manipulate or direct the manipulation of control rods)
Reactor Operator
Engineering Officer of the Watch / Propulsion Plant Watch Officer
Engineering Watch Supervisor / Propulsion Plant Watch Supervisor

-OR-

At least 6 months performing plant operational duties as a nonlicensed operator on site (qualified for all power block and safety systems operational duties)

Offline pickle1991

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:29 »
Hi MMM,

Thank you again for your reply. I'm a bit confused though, assuming I work 4 years at the plant I would be qualified TO APPLY for an RO class at another plant.

Working 4 years (48 months) would satisfy qualification 1 (I have a BS, so At least 18 months of power plant experience.).
And qualification 2 (At least 12 months performing plant operational duties as a nonlicensed operator at a comparable (BWR/PWR) facility) would be satisfied as well.

Unless the caveat is for qualification 2, you have to have 12 months working while qualified for all power block and safety systems operational duties. I guess that means say I am fully qualified for all systems in 3.5 years, but the plant closes in 6 months, therefore I would not meet that requirement. Is this correct with your assessment? Also my current understanding is it takes about 2 years to become a fully qualified NLO, is this correct?

Also a lot of SRO license class job postings I see, typically just say with a B.S. and 18 months of NLO experience you can APPLY for an SRO slot.

This was taken from a recent posting: 0 - 2 Years with engineering degrees or the equivalent and who have held responsible positions as line managers or supervisors or as non-licensed operators at commercial nuclear plants.

And from another company: Positive POSS and FLS assessments AND BS or equivalent in engineering, engineering technology or physical sciences, or professional engineer license, and more than 18 months qualified non-licensed operator or a supervisor or manager in work control, operations, engineering, outage management, maintenance, radiation protection, chemistry or training at current or comparable (PWR) facility. Managerial, staff engineer, or supervisor experience at non-comparable plant may be credited on a 1.5:1.0 basis (i.e. over 27 months required for non-comparable facility) retirement benefits.

I understand these are the bare minimums just to APPLY and may not suffice for the job or is not even a reality in this industry but rather just a minimum. For example you can qualify for a presidential debate, doesn't mean you have a shot at becoming president. I am not being argumentative but this was my current thinking and want to ensure I am accurate as there is a bit of confusion.

With all that being said, yes I would be content with starting out at the NLO level again at a different plant, if anything I'd benefit from 2 qualifications and more experience, correct?

Thank you again for your assistance. The nuclear industry seems to be a bit cloak and dagger with their information.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2019, 05:19 »
For most of your questions, you'll need to look at ACAD 10-001. It has a few charts outlining the selection process for RO and SRO with explanations. I haven't looked at it in a while, so I'm not going to try to quote it, but the requirements for direct SRO are a little more lax than for direct RO.

Yes, the ACAD lists the bare minimum requirements for acceptance into license class (i.e. interview for the position). Most companies have additional requirements, such as POSS, BMST, SRO for Success, etc., that you need to take and pass to be selected.

You're the only one who can decide if you're willing to work somewhere for 3-4 years then move half way across the country (likely at your expense as an NLO) to start over. Your second time going through NLO quals will probably take less time, as you already have the foundation, but it's still going to be a couple more years. Then, once you start, your management probably won't look at you for license class until you've completed your quals.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:32 »
A plethora of information is available to you now. Without further ado, ya buts, no comprendes, yada, yada, make a flippin decision and move on dude.(assumption) Even within a cloak and dagger community there is ample space for pickles.

TVA

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:07 »
Every bit of that info is here had you just taken the time to research vice being lazy and expecting everything to be handed to you.

For the record I wouldnt hire you. Too lazy.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:50 »
Every bit of that info is here had you just taken the time to research vice being lazy and expecting everything to be handed to you.

For the record I wouldnt hire you. Too lazy.

Gee, that was helpful.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2019, 10:58 »
I wasn't an operator, but I worked at three nukes that shutdown. The job is posted as NLO because that is a position that already exists. The plants will not be shutdown until 2024 and 2025. That is 5 years or so, so you will probably be given all the initial training, classroom and OJT. That may take up to 2 years or so. Then you will be an NLO for 2 or 3 years and learn the plant, surveillances, tagging, procedures, etc. If there is an RO class, it will be filled by those who are already NLOs. After S/D, Most of the nuclear safety requirements go away, and layoffs begin. It may be based on seniority, job performance, or favoritism depending on the plant organization. NLOs become equipment operators and SROs become Control Room monitors. If you go to another nuke, it won't be in CA. You will have to go through their training program and then learn the new plant. My guess is that if you start at Diablo, you may eventually get to RO class in 10 years at the earliest, providing you transition directly from Diablo to a new plant and start their training program at hire. If you start at a plant that has a future, it could be 5-6 years if you are a top performer, get high grades, show excellent judgement, and don't cause any career ending events. If you look at the minimum time requirements, it looks a lot shorter than this, but it would be very difficult to get on the requirements done because you would be on shift and the activities may not be scheduled on your watch. Getting fast tracked may be your goal, but the more time working in the plant working with others, learning the equipment, work arounds, etc. will make you a better SRO in the long run. Your most valuable asset is your relationship with others.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2019, 04:26 »
Oh good post Scotoma...you know...most of that information was already out there...I can't believe you would put info out that was already out there!  I'm sure you will get jumped on by the local troll....for the record.

TVA

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:40 »
Gee, that was helpful.

Most helpful thing he will ever get

TVA

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:42 »
I wasn't an operator, but I worked at three nukes that shutdown. The job is posted as NLO because that is a position that already exists. The plants will not be shutdown until 2024 and 2025. That is 5 years or so, so you will probably be given all the initial training, classroom and OJT. That may take up to 2 years or so. Then you will be an NLO for 2 or 3 years and learn the plant, surveillances, tagging, procedures, etc. If there is an RO class, it will be filled by those who are already NLOs. After S/D, Most of the nuclear safety requirements go away, and layoffs begin. It may be based on seniority, job performance, or favoritism depending on the plant organization. NLOs become equipment operators and SROs become Control Room monitors. If you go to another nuke, it won't be in CA. You will have to go through their training program and then learn the new plant. My guess is that if you start at Diablo, you may eventually get to RO class in 10 years at the earliest, providing you transition directly from Diablo to a new plant and start their training program at hire. If you start at a plant that has a future, it could be 5-6 years if you are a top performer, get high grades, show excellent judgement, and don't cause any career ending events. If you look at the minimum time requirements, it looks a lot shorter than this, but it would be very difficult to get on the requirements done because you would be on shift and the activities may not be scheduled on your watch. Getting fast tracked may be your goal, but the more time working in the plant working with others, learning the equipment, work arounds, etc. will make you a better SRO in the long run. Your most valuable asset is your relationship with others.

Huh?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:29 »
"Most helpful thing he will ever get"  reminds me of somebody from a very funny movie

Offline pickle1991

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2019, 10:49 »
Scotoma, thank you for the reply, it was useful.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?