Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Veteran MMN2 applying for NUPOC through ODU  

Author Topic: Veteran MMN2 applying for NUPOC through ODU  (Read 7819 times)

Offline Devon32

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Veteran MMN2 applying for NUPOC through ODU
« on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:20 »
Hello all,
I'm an MMN2 separating from Active duty march 2020 and am interested in the NUPOC program. Mainly interested in the Powerschool instructor position. Old Dominion University will accept roughly 50 or so credits from the pipeline for the Mechanical engineering technology degree so if i went there, i would be almost halfway done and could apply quicker to the NUPOC program after i've met the prereqs. Will this degree be competitive for this program? will having prior experience in the nuclear navy field help in the selection process? Thank you for any advice!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Veteran MMN2 applying for NUPOC through ODU
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:27 »
For instructor you'll need an actual engineering, physics, math, or chemistry degree... no 'tech' degrees.

My advice to you is use the GI bill and go to an ABET accredited school and get a BS in Mechanical Engineering if that's your cup of tea. Just make sure you can keep that GPA at the B+ level or better or it'll be difficult to find a job on the back end.

TVA

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:38 »
You cannot have a tech degree

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2019, 12:46 »
Yeah if you can help it...get a regular engineering degree.  Tech degrees are 2nd choice when it comes to interviewing for nuclear jobs.  If you go into most job interviews for nuclear jobs and you are against anybody with the degrees spekkio mentioned...you will be placed near the bottom unless you interview extremely well.

TVA

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2019, 03:26 »
Yeah if you can help it...get a regular engineering degree.  Tech degrees are 2nd choice when it comes to interviewing for nuclear jobs.  If you go into most job interviews for nuclear jobs and you are against anybody with the degrees spekkio mentioned...you will be placed near the bottom unless you interview extremely well.

It’s not if you can help it. NUPOC specifically does not allow it.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:28 »
I mean for ALL jobs in nuclear plants.  Try reading my post. There will be life later on after NUPOC.

Offline Devon32

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:41 »
Thank you guys for the replies. Looking into applying for mechanical or nuclear engineering programs when I get out in march. And then applying for the nupoc program. Are any of the pipeline credits good towards those degrees? I plan on sending them the transcripts to get an actual review. Just curious in the meantime. Looking at going to NC State or USC Columbia.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2020, 09:43 by Devon32 »

TVA

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:53 »
I doubt it

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?