Career Path > Navy:Getting In

Veteran MMN2 applying for NUPOC through ODU

(1/2) > >>

Devon32:
Hello all,
I'm an MMN2 separating from Active duty march 2020 and am interested in the NUPOC program. Mainly interested in the Powerschool instructor position. Old Dominion University will accept roughly 50 or so credits from the pipeline for the Mechanical engineering technology degree so if i went there, i would be almost halfway done and could apply quicker to the NUPOC program after i've met the prereqs. Will this degree be competitive for this program? will having prior experience in the nuclear navy field help in the selection process? Thank you for any advice!

spekkio:
For instructor you'll need an actual engineering, physics, math, or chemistry degree... no 'tech' degrees.

My advice to you is use the GI bill and go to an ABET accredited school and get a BS in Mechanical Engineering if that's your cup of tea. Just make sure you can keep that GPA at the B+ level or better or it'll be difficult to find a job on the back end.

TVA:
You cannot have a tech degree

hamsamich:
Yeah if you can help it...get a regular engineering degree.  Tech degrees are 2nd choice when it comes to interviewing for nuclear jobs.  If you go into most job interviews for nuclear jobs and you are against anybody with the degrees spekkio mentioned...you will be placed near the bottom unless you interview extremely well.

TVA:

--- Quote from: hamsamich on Dec 21, 2019, 12:46 ---Yeah if you can help it...get a regular engineering degree.  Tech degrees are 2nd choice when it comes to interviewing for nuclear jobs.  If you go into most job interviews for nuclear jobs and you are against anybody with the degrees spekkio mentioned...you will be placed near the bottom unless you interview extremely well.

--- End quote ---

It’s not if you can help it. NUPOC specifically does not allow it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version