Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Graphing Calculator

Author Topic: Graphing Calculator  (Read 9840 times)

ProudNavyMom

Graphing Calculator
« on: Feb 24, 2005, 10:04 »
My daughter will be headed to boot camp on August 3.  Will she need her graphing calculator in nuke school?

shayne

Re: Graphing Calculator
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2005, 10:19 »
I remember just using a cheap calculator.  Any fancy one that was programmable or that could store any information wasn't allowed.  She certainly could use it, however any tests that she would take, will require just a basic one that will perform simple calculations.  The rules could have changed, I went through nuke school in 1992-1993.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2005, 11:26 »
What happened to slide rules? I used slide rules. Calculator? Those were too big to carry back then. NNPS Bainbridge 7203
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Xhelix

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2005, 05:38 »
I know that I use my graphing calculator every (*every*) day in highscool, I'm not doubting here but we really wont do anything complex enough to require a sophisticated calculator in training?   ::)

ODiesel

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2005, 06:14 »
A standard scientific calculator will be fine. A graphing calculator will not be necessary on any of the homework or exams in the pipeline. The math used in the program is taught assuming you are using a standard scientific calculator and is equivalent to advanced high school algebra, trigonometry and basic calculus. Graphing equations is of no interest to us.

As stated in a previous post, you may use a programmable calculator on homework if you prefer, but the use of a programmable calculator on exams is strictly prohibited due to the possibility of cheating. In my opinion it would be pointless to even have. Slide rules are still authorized, but are complicated and a little outdated.

On another note. Your daughter is entering a program that is very stressful. 12 hour days will begin to seem endless. Be sure to let her know that you support her and are proud of what she is doing. I know the support my family provided me while I was in the pipeline was very helpful in keeping me motivated and not discouraged.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you both!!
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2005, 06:18 by ODiesel »

s_Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2005, 12:59 »
Sorry but if a calculator that has any like of memory that last after you turn it off is a no no there.  Sorry but they dont want students to be able to take any confidential home with them.   Long gone are the day that you can study out side of the class room. 

Just tell her that she can look forward to study in rooms that are an ungly off white. of 12 hrs a day.

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2005, 07:47 »
I remember just using a cheap calculator.  Any fancy one that was programmable or that could store any information wasn't allowed.  She certainly could use it, however any tests that she would take, will require just a basic one that will perform simple calculations.  The rules could have changed, I went through nuke school in 1992-1993.

Wow 1992 - 1993.. you make me feel so old... I was in nuke school class 8707. Now I know I am an old fart...LOL

ProudNavyMom

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2005, 12:55 »
Thank you for the response.  I was glad to hear that she won't need the graphing calculator - Since they are so expensive, now I don't have to buy another one for my daughter who is a freshman.
 :)

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2005, 02:05 »
What happened to slide rules? I used slide rules. Calculator? Those were too big to carry back then. NNPS Bainbridge 7203
Ditto!...and we use to shovel the uranium into the reactor by hand too. (S1W 7102)

donthaveacurefor

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2005, 02:47 »
she can just get a standard scientific calculater at the mini mex when she gets here. they are usually 15-15 bucks.
and she can't even have a graphing calculator in the school building, i believe.
and she definitely can't use it on exams. if she does bring the graphing one.

hope that helps

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2005, 03:05 »
Why can't kids today use a dollar store variety of calculators and a paper brain?  We used to chisel calculations on rock faces and roll dinosaur turds to keep track of unit changes.

nukenub

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:24 »
She can get a TI-36 when she gets there.  They're about 10 bucks now, used to be ~$25.  Good luck to her.  She won't need a graphing calc.  Just a scientific one.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?