Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Good career path for a Reactor Operator outside of nuclear honeypot

Author Topic: Good career path for a Reactor Operator outside of nuclear  (Read 5897 times)

Offline NukePadawan

• Lurker
With more and more plants closing, and hearing nothing but bad news about my plants fiscal solvency from upper management I have serious doubts that my plant will be open another decade. With overtime as an RO I make around $200K a year. Does anyone know of any career paths that my experience as an RO can be transferred to that has a similar pay rate? Any advice on how to prepare, (online courses, going sro, etc.) also would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2020, 02:06 by NukePadawan »

TVA

No. The skillset is not transferable.
You can get jobs at various types of power plants but they will not hire you due to your RO license

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
1. Physician; Median base salary: $180,000 Not only is this the top-paying job in the U.S., but employment for medical doctors is projected to grow 14 percent from 2014 to 2024, twice as fast as the average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
2. Lawyer; Median base salary: $144,500 While pay can vary depending on what type of law you practice, the median salary is high enough to make lawyer the second best-paying job in America.
3. R&D manager; Median base salary: $142,120
4. Software development manager; Median base salary: $132,000 The outlook for this job is bright; it’s expected to grow 17 percent from 2014 to 2024.
5. Pharmacy manager; Median base salary: $130,000 This managerial position usually requires years of experience in addition to a doctoral degree, which all pharmacists are required to have.

TVA

None of those are transferable RO skills

TVA

Become an SRO in the South

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Save yore money. Consult financial planner. Cut awl none kneaded expenses. Ride out you're gig n retire.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2020, 06:47 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
Many moons ago, it became inherently obvious to those of us with only a basic education be it high school, a tech school, da navy, etc., that there was not a job in existence that could come close to our financial compensation while laboring inside the Owner Controlled Area. RP staffing requirements for EPlan compliance - way easier than a Pharmacist or R&D manager.Oh yeah - also way easier than an SRO. Ensuring the creation of ion pears was as low as reasonably achievable - great work if you can get it.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2020, 10:40 by fiveeleven »

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
Plumbers can make good money

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
None of those are transferable RO skills

Correct.  My point is that the highest paid profession on that list, a Physician, whose Median base salary is $180,000.  $20k less than he makes.  He should not be looking to exit nuclear.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
SloGlo has the answer I would pursue.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Good career path for a Reactor Operator outside of nuclear
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:38 »
Like TVA said, there really aren't any jobs that your RO license will translate to outside of nuclear at that pay. There are, as pointed out, numerous jobs that will pay comparably, but they are in different fields and would require several years of college to get there. Your best bet is probably to get your SRO license, then translate that to a management position.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2020, 11:15 »
NukePadawan, you don't say your age or any other demographics. You don't have to exit the Nuclear field. Some ROs that I know that have lost there jobs have taken consulting, procedure writing, and teaching positions that pay very well. Most are temporary or short term, but pay per diem. Some are overseas. Others ROs have left the nuclear industry, taken the payout, and absorbed the culture shock of being less regulated. The special high intensity training that you have received will help you make intelligent decisions whatever you chose. Money isn't everything, and it is not the root of all evil. But the love of money is, so chose what will love you back, it is not the money.

Offline gerald.rood

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:58 »
Abu Dubai is actually not too bad, especially if your employer is compensating you for any inconvenience.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:55 »
Abu Dubai? Is that like Michiconsin?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:54 »
Abu Dubai? Is that like Michiconsin?

more like minnecosin, only warmer and less friendly,....

plus no beer, no brats, no spam, no booyah, no lutefisk,...

but lots of money,....

and camels, which you can both ride around on and then eat for dinner,....

win-win!!!!   :-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NukePadawan

• Lurker
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:09 »
NukePadawan, you don't say your age or any other demographics. You don't have to exit the Nuclear field. Some ROs that I know that have lost there jobs have taken consulting, procedure writing, and teaching positions that pay very well. Most are temporary or short term, but pay per diem. Some are overseas. Others ROs have left the nuclear industry, taken the payout, and absorbed the culture shock of being less regulated. The special high intensity training that you have received will help you make intelligent decisions whatever you chose. Money isn't everything, and it is not the root of all evil. But the love of money is, so chose what will love you back, it is not the money.

Demographics wise I'm in my early 30s with a very young family so, retirement or moving overseas isn't really an option. Thank you for taking the time to give me your input though. 

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:17 »
I don't know what the license bonus is these days, but it has to be significant. If you are willing to stay in nuclear, consider applying to the utilities with newer plants, like WattsBar or Vogtle.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:43 »
I don't know what the license bonus is these days, but it has to be significant. If you are willing to stay in nuclear, consider applying to the utilities with newer plants, like WattsBar or Vogtle.

That's not really necessary, a lot of plants, especially those in regulated market areas, are working on license extensions to go out another 30-40 years.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:16 »
The old plants have old and sometimes obsolete equipment. You have to deal with all the work arounds and sub performing equipment especiallly the non safety systems.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?