2 (14.3%)
Below Average
12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: ACTS  (Read 16605 times)

ACTS

ACTS
« on: Feb 24, 2005, 03:43 »
hey all, new guy to the forum (btw, enjoy the posts--very informative).  am getting back into rct contract work after several years (worked for bartlett on a few jobs).  have been contacted by the above companies for work and would like opinions on which is better.  heard of eg&g, never heard of acts.  thanks much.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 11:47 by Rennhack »

alphadude

Re: eg&g or acts?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2005, 04:11 »
Eg&G is now canadian owned. ACTs been around for a while, never heard anything bad about ACTS. 

tonynuke

Re: eg&g or acts?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2005, 04:32 »
I worked for ACTS at the Savanah River Site in SC.  Didn't have any problems with them. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: ACTS
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:22 »
do they ever hire anyone when they flood the job board about once a week?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:23 »
I worked for ACTS a couple of times at SRS. The entire time I worked for them they never sent anyone to the site to talk with techs. They never called to see how things were going at work. They roll holidays in to your rate of pay to make it look like they are paying you a higher wage. I know all this sounds kind of picky but I really became irate when my time sheet got missing between the supervisors office and getting faxed to the ACTS office. They never bothered to pick up phone and call me to see why I didn't have timesheet nor did they as the site. They just presumed I didn't work. Finally near the end of my one year contract... about 3 weeks from the end... they tried to block me from going to another site with Bartlett since they had backup. They were going to cause me to miss 2 months of work they could get 3 weeks out of me. I won't say never but they are low on my list of companies I would go to work for again.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:35 »
To Carolina Jethro,

You could change the name from ACTS to ANY OTHER COMPANY!!!

What you are saying isn't news.

The same could be said for company A to Z, and I'll bet there could be lots of examples.

You always have the option of not working for them again.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2006, 05:55 »
You could change the name from ACTS to ANY OTHER COMPANY!!!

What you are saying isn't news.

The same could be said for company A to Z, and I'll bet there could be lots of examples.

You always have the option of not working for them again.
I have to disagree... I have worked for other companies that treated techs a whole lot better. I have been at Parr for 1 1/2 years now for Bartlett and we have only 4 techs there but Bartlett's regional manager has been there on at least 4 different occassions usually buying us a meal and talking to everyone to see how things were going. Aerotek in Oak Ridge was another... great benefit package and super nice people to work for.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2006, 09:20 »
... we have only 4 techs there but Bartlett's regional manager has been there on at least 4 different occassions usually buying us a meal and talking to everyone ....

dat's one a da bennies of being on a small contract or working with a small company, they pay alot more attention to ya.  buying lunch fer a crew of 4 is a whole lot more doable than for a 300 person crew spread over 3 shifts.  'n eye throw in with let-it-ride, ya kin say dis about any company.  sumbuddy alwaze feel they're getting the shaft.
bttt (back to the thread), i haven't worked for acts, but i have heard little that was bad about them.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

shovelheadred

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:55 »
...Hey jethro...I worked for ACTS at SRS, the job was good, but like you said, with ACTS(like all the rest) you are just a number, brother, I have heard of Bruce helping out his regular techs in a time of need though..I can truthfully say, that I have never worked for Bruce as a tech....I also worked at PARR from 2000-2003, got hurt on that job, and got released while I was drawing disability,,legal, yes...did it P#@* me off, OH YES!!!!!!!!!.2 back surgerys, replaced 2 discs in my back and the same person that you are working for was the Safety Manager ,..so dont pat him on the back , and call him hero,,,because he looks out for NUMERO UNO......the prior management(Master-Lee) treated us very good at PARR...I think it was mostly Baehr and company, but they let him go also...so like a previous post said...you always have the option of drawing Mass unemployment.....or going to NUCOR ......red

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:26 »
ACTS is simply a staffing company.  As you can see from the postings, they will advertise and fill any position.  They pay an established wage and established benefits under the services contract agreement....period!  Nothing more and nothing less!  If you send them a resume, don't be offended if don't get a reply, they simply pass the resumes off to the requesting prime contractor manager who makes the decisions.  As far as technicians go, a three year technician is the same as a thirty three year tech, still a 3.1!  The office staff has little knowledge of what, or who they are selling.  If you call for further details on a job posting, you're wasting your time!  If you send a resume, I suggest you incorporate the specifics of the job posting, same verbiage, for clarification to the office staff. 

Overall I would give ACTS about a 6 on an overall scale of 1 - 10, (10 is Excellent).  They pay as they say and will supply the basic benefits if you wish.  The lack of a representative on site and their failure to recognize there bread and butter, (employees), when they walk in the door is rather distasteful and rude!

SRP....You can't ask for a better area!  Augusta & Aiken have everything and anything you could want.  The cost of living is cheap and the people are friendly.  If you can't operate under standard South Carolina Rules, (it will get done, but probably not today), prepare yourself for some frustration!

Just the basics....RG

alphadude

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:56 »
yea they are pretty unresponsive and lost in the clouds. they are wired to a big brother company so they dont really have to do much of anything but charge thru.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:22 »
do they ever hire anyone when they flood the job board about once a week?
The same 16 jobs flood the employment board again. My question still, do they ever hire anyone?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2006, 10:57 »
On the boards again. Must be collecting and selling resumes'.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:25 »
The same 16 jobs flood the employment board again. My question still, do they ever hire anyone?
Now there is 21 "openings". Hire somebody!

shovelheadred

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:54 »
.Spanky..you hard on this ACTS bunch...you gittin cabin fever over there in Denver?....ACTS may be hirin at SRS,,,you should give them a call.............red

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:00 »
Facts is facts. The same jobs appear every week and they haven't called me. Have they put you on payroll? Show me the $$$.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2007, 01:01 by Mike McFarlin »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:32 »
Listed again, still haven't gotten a call. Hey Red, put  in a good word for me.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:12 »
Listed again, still haven't gotten a call. Hey Red, put  in a good word for me.

Have you called them?

shovelheadred

« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:49 »
.Hey,,Spankee..I worked for ACTS in 2005, at SRS..really I used them to get my CORE cert..then gave them 6 weeks @ 4-10s at the country club...400 area....it was a good job, and ACTS did OK by me...I went to N'orleans during Katrina and they released me, no questions asked.....I will give them a call......red

BetaAnt

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04 »
WATCH YOUR BACK!  >:(

ACTS, Inc. low-balls the pay and screws you on holiday and vacation pay any chance they get. If you do not play by Astrid's rules, your paycheck can be messed up and taked a few weeks to straighten out. Medical/dental insurance is out-the-roof ($1200-$1500 for family coverage up to $1Mil lifetime - e.g. bad car wreck or 2 mos. stay in hospital... BTW while in the hospital you need to maintain your coverage payments with NO paycheck or you loose all coverage). As ACTS makes more money on the contract you income flatlines and stagnates (same rates since 2003). :'(

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?