Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu America’s Radioactive Secret
honeypot

Author Topic: America’s Radioactive Secret  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
America’s Radioactive Secret
« on: Jan 23, 2020, 03:25 »
OK before I get beat up for this, it is news even if it is Rolling Stone.

America’s Radioactive Secret

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: America’s Radioactive Secret
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:33 »
But but but… it's natural radioactivity and we all know that's different.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:03 »
I was looking for some info on whole body counts for the exposed people, but did not see anything. The article was quite lengthly, so I may have missed it. Was there any data on internal deposition of radioactive material or other toxic chemicals?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:39 »
I was looking for some info on whole body counts for the exposed people, but did not see anything. The article was quite lengthly, so I may have missed it. Was there any data on internal deposition of radioactive material or other toxic chemicals?

I did not see any mention of a body count but then I did not take the article too seriously any way. In the articles statements of risk seem absurd on their face.

"A lot of guys are coming up with cancer, or sores and skin lesions that take months to heal,” he says. Peter experiences regular headaches and nausea, numbness in his fingertips and face, and “joint pain like fire.”

“Every exposure results in an increased risk,” says Ian Fairlie, a British radiation biologist. “Think of it like these guys have been given negative lottery tickets, and somewhere down the line their number will come up and they will die.”

Kind of hard to reconcile these statements with when the public health risk in the following article is stated as negligible.

Environmentalists question use of radioactive brine waste to treat roads

“Recent models from both the Ohio Department of Health and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection show that controlled application of brine containing naturally occurring radioactive material offers a negligible risk to human health,”

https://www.timesreporter.com/news/20191023/environmentalists-question-use-of-radioactive-brine-waste-to-treat-roads/1
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2020, 12:40 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:43 »
Another look at the relative risk would be radium (mineral) spas.

Milk River Bath

Radioactivity:16 nCuries per litre (43 Mache Units)  16,000 picoCuries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_River_Bath

Significantly higher than the brine and people are soaking in it.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2020, 05:37 »
scotoma
I read most of this article and didn't see anything on WBC or any ascertainments of internal depositions. Which is what I expect from sources like this.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?