Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu coronavirus  

Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 50290 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #175 on: Apr 15, 2020, 09:31 »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-30/pandemic-doesn-t-stop-nuclear-reactor-refueling

“Outages have to happen when they have to happen,” said Michael Rennhack, the founder of NukeWorker.com, a jobs board for the industry.

That is so profound.... hehe

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #176 on: Apr 15, 2020, 11:28 »
Right up there with "I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #178 on: Apr 16, 2020, 07:30 »
Whew! Thankfully the guidelines made it clear that masks arent required while eating and drinking. Otherwise famine and dehydration abound in the great comeonwellth of Pencilveinya!!
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020, 07:48 by fiveeleven »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #179 on: Apr 16, 2020, 09:45 »
Senate sergeant at arms warns lawmakers against using Zoom: report

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/491983-senate-sergeant-at-arms-warns-lawmakers-against-using-zoom-report

life imitates art

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #180 on: Apr 16, 2020, 10:56 »
Senate sergeant at arms warns lawmakers against using Zoom: report

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/491983-senate-sergeant-at-arms-warns-lawmakers-against-using-zoom-report

life imitates art

I have been researching Zoom for use with family and other meetings. If you do not use a lot of the bells and whistles nor record the session (to the cloud) the privacy is not that much of an issue. One of the big problems is "Zoom-Bombing" where your meeting/session is invaded by trolls. Don't broadcast the meeting link to anyone except the participants if you are scheduling in advance. "Zoom-bombing" is mostly a problem with public meetings. Simply starting one and inviting after the start is the best if for family not easy to do if it is an organizational meeting. I have participated in one meeting for SubVets and a few with family it gets harder to manage as the number of people increases.

Enhance your calm. Be Well.  8)

[coffee] 

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #181 on: Apr 16, 2020, 11:48 »
   I have been researching Zoom for use with family and other meetings...............

Zoom banned by Taiwan's government over China security fears

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52200507

obtw - not faux news

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #182 on: Apr 16, 2020, 12:28 »

Zoom banned by Taiwan's government over China security fears

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52200507

obtw - not faux news

These are all over the place and though not faux news they are not the full story. That is why I said don't use the bells and whistles and do not record as you may put it in the cloud where the security issues occur. Many public and Federal agencies have banned the use of Zoom for individuals but it is available through the agency itself so it can control the settings in particular the file, recording and sharing functions. You may even see that Zoom is a Chinese government owned company but that is Faux News it's majority owner is US citizen and it is traded on NASDAQ.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #183 on: Apr 17, 2020, 11:30 »
These are all over the place and though not faux news they are not the full story. That is why I said don't use the bells and whistles and do not record as you may put it in the cloud where the security issues occur. Many public and Federal agencies have banned the use of Zoom for individuals but it is available through the agency itself so it can control the settings in particular the file, recording and sharing functions. You may even see that Zoom is a Chinese government owned company but that is Faux News it's majority owner is US citizen and it is traded on NASDAQ.

"faux news" homynym 4 "fox news",....
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2020, 11:31 by GLW »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #184 on: Apr 17, 2020, 11:50 »
"faux news" homynym 4 "fox news",....

???

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #185 on: Apr 17, 2020, 12:33 »
???

once upon a time if someone referenced a link from fox news the first retort would be "I see you referenced "faux news", yeah right!",...or something like that,....

I made it a habit to not post anything from fox news because other people were, well, they just were,....

so, it's a holdover, from ten plus years ago on these old school forums,....

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #186 on: Apr 17, 2020, 01:24 »
yeah I remember someone on this site a year or 2 ago disagreed with my story just because it came from yahoo...and I agree yahoo has a very liberal slant, but the article actually agreed with most of the things this person was saying they just say "yahoo" and saw red.

I think fox news is biased, but not as bad as many other sources.  It's funny when people call it faux news and you ask them what their sources are..they usually realize what you are saying right away and tone it down.  Nowadays news stations love to get political since it garners them viewers and clicks. choosing what to report on and what facts to add or leave out seems commonplace lately without a care to how biased that can leave a story (framing).  alot of places people consider news are mostly opinion piece generators.  it is funny and sad when they don't realize this and never will.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/  pretty good website that tells you most sites are at least slightly biased, which way they are biased and WHY they are biased.  word choice is a common reason.  for instance if I was for a cause I would call the fighters rebels, if I was in the middle maybe insurgents, on the other side how about renegade or terrorist?  just an example.  word choice can be very important to how a story is perceived. 

before I believe ANY news story that is even slightly out of the realm of possibility on any website I will google it and 90% of the time the story left something very important out depending on how they want the story to be perceived. 

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #187 on: Apr 17, 2020, 02:03 »
   Who fact checks the fact checkers and where is the median for right- left. I personally see Fox News (not commentary) as much more reliable than other networks. But then the commentary although ridiculed about current views seems to be frequently vindicated by time. Russia MSM coverage a case in point. Kavanaugh hearings are another example especially when you look at the current coverage of Biden's sexual assault charge. Truth and facts are stubborn things and it is easy to be truthful and factual in a narrow view without regard to the larger more rational view.

To bring this back to OP on Corona virus it looks like we may be on the mend but not out of the woods. Back to work plans on a Federal and State level (maybe not Michigan) look like they will be starting soon. Here in Tennessee Governor Lee and Knox county Mayor Glenn Jacobs (Kane in WWE) have announced back to work plans.

Knox County Mayor: Recent suicide rate ‘shocking’

“That number is completely shocking and makes me wonder if what we are doing now is really the best approach,” Jacobs said. “We have to determine how we can respond to COVID-19 in a way that keeps our economy intact, keeps people employed and empowers them with a feeling of hope and optimism – not desperation and despair.”

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/knox-county-mayor-recent-suicide-rate-shocking/

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #188 on: Apr 17, 2020, 02:08 »
OK this is cheer leading by the IAEA but still pertinent I think.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #189 on: Apr 17, 2020, 02:37 »
I believe Fox News is pretty reliable.  And this may not be specifically related to the virus, but this is a hot button issue right now so media bias is very much in play right now with the virus.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #190 on: Apr 18, 2020, 01:55 »
What are your favorite COVID-19 Maps/links?  Here are some of mine:

This one tracks the RNA of the virus as it mutates, over time and location, showing its migration and family origins.
https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global?animate=2019-11-28,2020-04-12,0,0,30000&l=clock&m=div

Standard map, but if oyu click on US, then zoom in to your state/county, it has a cool info-graphic.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

This one is a 'weather map' of internet connected thermometers, use for taking peoples temperatures.
https://healthweather.us/?mode=Atypical

My local hospital's data:
https://www.spectrumhealthlakeland.org/covid19

My County:
http://www.bchdmi.org/1689/COVID-19-Cases-and-Data

My State:
https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #191 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:39 »
OK I got this on Facebook and this may not be in the right place or appropriate for this thread but:

"I don't care who you are that right there is funny"  LCB

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #192 on: Apr 19, 2020, 11:54 »
OK I got this on Facebook and this may not be in the right place or appropriate for this thread but:

"I don't care who you are that right there is funny"  LCB

Certainly beats crawling into bed and crying like a certain CNN personality! 😂
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #193 on: Apr 23, 2020, 10:50 »
well,...
there may be a new elitism:
there are essential workers/people,...
and there non-essential workers/people,...
good thing is that actors, comedians, talk show hosts, pundits are not essential workers or essential people,... :P ;) :) 8)

(PS - feel free to use this one GG)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2020, 10:50 by GLW »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #194 on: Apr 23, 2020, 10:54 »
good thing is that actors, comedians, talk show hosts, pundits are not essential workers or essential people,...

And yet, they are still getting paid.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #195 on: Apr 24, 2020, 06:27 »
And yet, they are still getting paid.

you mean royalties?!?!?!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #197 on: Apr 27, 2020, 07:24 »
So now the Corona Virus is a Job Creator?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #198 on: Apr 27, 2020, 08:29 »
Not only temperature takers but post common usage cleaners. At the BV2 outage, there are at least 3 workers cleaning EAD terminals, EADs, and portal monitors after every touch usage, 24/7 at the RCA. Inside the BRB, the phone and page handsets are cleansed at least hourly.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 08:40 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #199 on: Apr 28, 2020, 07:34 »

yep, this is the alternate reality we find ourselves in,....

I can foresee a day when certain Americans will be registered as "essential workers/people" with the prerequisite ID (aka traveling papers),...

it'll take a few small changes at the top and maybe another pandemic (which seems to have a changing definition year to year),...

it'll be a good time to be a nukeworker,....

as for the the rest?!?!?

it's gonna be tough to be a second class citizen,...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?