Career Path > Radiation Safety

RP and Chemistry Question Re Fuel Leaks

(1/5) > >>

Blacksnake66:
I'm a former operator and I&C Tech.When I was in-house at VY in 2003 we had a run with bad fuel.For a while we would have a heck of a time getting out of the Aux Bldg.We always heard it was Nobel gases and Radon clinging to use that needed to decay or bug off so we could clear the portal.I'm interested in knowing what exactly those gasses were and what if anything else was flying around the place.VY was a BWR.Does anyone know the full spectrum of what's floating around the Aux Bldg with leaking fuel?
Thanks-S

fiveeleven:
Radon is a noble gas and it aint french. If proper FEF mitigation actions were in place then the nuclide concentrations in the aux. bldg. were Alara. The fact that you were able to clear the exit portal in a reasonable time means you were exposed to mostly short lived isotopes. The value of a complete FEF nuclide profile 17 yrs. later is minimal. The “ bug off” method of decontamination must have been a VY thing.

nowhereman:
Fission product gases of I-131 and Xenon and krypton...decaying to Cesium 135 ?  and rubidium.
At VY you must of had a X-K building, right?
At C/Y in 89 they had some really bad fuel. Bad, bad...i think I remember an 80 mrem charcoal air sample from the steam gene's. I remember reading in 2010 about that outage, something like between 1 and 10 microcuries of fp gas. Which is an absurdly number for someone ex navy. The CY management was not very forthcoming on info.
Not really funny at 4000 mpc. That's dialing the way back machine way back. Probably nothing to a DOE site.
Par for the course at CY.

SloGlo:

--- Quote from: Blacksnake66 on Apr 22, 2020, 01:50 ---I'm a former operator and I&C Tech.When I was in-house at VY in 2003 we had a run with bad fuel.For a while we would have a heck of a time getting out of the Aux Bldg.We always heard it was Nobel gases and Radon clinging to use that needed to decay or bug off so we could clear the portal.I'm interested in knowing what exactly those gasses were and what if anything else was flying around the place.VY was a BWR.Does anyone know the full spectrum of what's floating around the Aux Bldg with leaking fuel?
Thanks-S

--- End quote ---
knot shore watt the bug off protocols where. iffen yins decayed away in 30 minutes oar sew, their was probably a radon mix in there, wit yore n16. fission products ain't  going aweigh very quickly. yins gotta call up an auld bud from rad con too find out moor.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: SloGlo on Apr 22, 2020, 08:43 --- their was probably a radon mix in there, wit yore n16.

--- End quote ---

N16 ??? Not so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version