Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Transitioning Careers
honeypot

Author Topic: Transitioning Careers  (Read 2620 times)

Offline alimbo62587@gmail.com

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Transitioning Careers
« on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:30 »
Hello,

Can anyone provide some tips or helpful hints on what possible jobs I may be qualified for as a career transition. I've always had a fascination with the Nuclear Industry and now that my current position as an Airline Pilot is likely coming to an end I'd like to pursue a new career in the Nuclear field. I'd love to one day work in the control room of a plant, but I'm not quite sure what types of school or per-requisite experience is required. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Aviation and quite a few FAA ratings on various jets, I understand that there's really no correlation to the energy field but I'd like to think I'm intelligent enough to at least hold some form of entry level position at a power plant. Any help to steer this lost bird would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Transitioning Careers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2020, 06:14 »
One of the big things to remember about nuclear power is that the plants are only in a handful of locations around the US, most of them are rural areas (although major cities are typically an hour or two away), and on the east coast. Also, the entry level positions often don't pay for relocation, so you'd be on your own to get from where ever you live now to the area you want to work.

For education/experience, most plants want some combination of power plant operating experience and an engineering related degree (although any STEM degree might work) to get into operations. Neither are necessarily required, but that's what your competition will likely have. There are positions outside of operations that might be easier to get into, and once you get your foot in the door at a plant, it's a lot easier to get into operations.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2020, 06:44 »
Or you could join the Navy as a nuke.  Commercial power plants LOVE Navy Nukes.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2020, 07:59 »
Pick an area where you want to live, go to the utilities website, and select the careers link. If you have no geographical preference, you can select any utility and find out who is hiring. Call the phone number and get more info if necessary. There is a screening test which is more based more on your ability to think and reason. If you are a commercial pilot, you should be able to pass the test. If you pass the test and interview, it is usually a slow process until they hire. there is a lengthly review process, and then they need to get enough hirees to form a training class. They will teach you everything you need to know in training, then a few years as an AO/NPO. Then licensed operator class. I hope you like shift work.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:04 »
Hello,

Can anyone provide some tips or helpful hints on what possible jobs I may be qualified for as a career transition. I've always had a fascination with the Nuclear Industry and now that my current position as an Airline Pilot is likely coming to an end I'd like to pursue a new career in the Nuclear field. I'd love to one day work in the control room of a plant, but I'm not quite sure what types of school or per-requisite experience is required. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Aviation and quite a few FAA ratings on various jets, I understand that there's really no correlation to the energy field but I'd like to think I'm intelligent enough to at least hold some form of entry level position at a power plant. Any help to steer this lost bird would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony

Or you could join the Navy as a nuke.  Commercial power plants LOVE Navy Nukes.

The captain of an air craft carrier must have completed the Navy Nuclear propulsion program. While at Nuclear Prototype Training Unit i saw several pilots in the carrier career pipeline there. Normally somewhere in the middle of their career around the O-4 or 5 mark with an eye on command. So if the military is in consideration there is a clear connection between aviation and nuclear.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?