Career Path > Getting in

Looking for experiences as a firefighter/fire tech at plants

(1/2) > >>

Tony Pittiscatta:
I may make the switch over to this role from a structural firefighting career. There's clearly a major difference between what I'm doing now as an Firefighter/EMT working for a city compared to a nuclear power plant.

I'd appreciate it if people who know about it or have experiences about it can share. Besides the interview process I still feel like I only know the general idea of what the job is, but not anything in great detail. This would be a considerable job change for me so I'd like to make sure I'm well informed.

Thank you!

Tony Pittiscatta:
I'm also curious if it's normal to have a ~1 hour phone interview prior to the POSS? Struck me as odd that several (3-4) people spent that much time talking to me prior to me even taking said test. For all they'd know I'd fail it and they wasted their morning.

(I attempted to edit my original post but the captcha was bugged.)

TVA:
Which plant has fire fighters. Most of them had it as a collateral duty for Ops..

TVA had a firefighting department.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: Tony Pittiscatta on May 06, 2020, 05:16 ---I may make the switch over to this role from a structural firefighting career. There's clearly a major difference between what I'm doing now as an Firefighter/EMT working for a city compared to a nuclear power plant.

I'd appreciate it if people who know about it or have experiences about it can share. Besides the interview process I still feel like I only know the general idea of what the job is, but not anything in great detail. This would be a considerable job change for me so I'd like to make sure I'm well informed.

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

TVA is correct most power plants do not have firefighters and the engineering positions may also be a collateral duty for engineers of other disciplines. Most larger DOE sites do have firefighters and engineers specific to fire mitigation and emergency response. On the EMT side that varies but that too probably is a collateral duty relegated to first responders with possibly day time coverage with a nurse especially during outages. My experience is dated but working as a radiation protection supervisor in the 80s I had firefighting training and certified as an EMT to be a first responder.

What is the job title you are applying for?

TVA:
At Fermi we were trained in basic CPR and acted as a Fire Brigade. A different group did fire protection systems testing.

At Sequoyah we had a fire group that did that. They did fire protection systems testing.

At GGNS Ops does it all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version