Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking for experiences as a firefighter/fire tech at plants
honeypot

Author Topic: Looking for experiences as a firefighter/fire tech at plants  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Tony Pittiscatta

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I may make the switch over to this role from a structural firefighting career. There's clearly a major difference between what I'm doing now as an Firefighter/EMT working for a city compared to a nuclear power plant.

I'd appreciate it if people who know about it or have experiences about it can share. Besides the interview process I still feel like I only know the general idea of what the job is, but not anything in great detail. This would be a considerable job change for me so I'd like to make sure I'm well informed.

Thank you!

Offline Tony Pittiscatta

• Very Lite User
I'm also curious if it's normal to have a ~1 hour phone interview prior to the POSS? Struck me as odd that several (3-4) people spent that much time talking to me prior to me even taking said test. For all they'd know I'd fail it and they wasted their morning.

(I attempted to edit my original post but the captcha was bugged.)

TVA

Which plant has fire fighters. Most of them had it as a collateral duty for Ops..

TVA had a firefighting department.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I may make the switch over to this role from a structural firefighting career. There's clearly a major difference between what I'm doing now as an Firefighter/EMT working for a city compared to a nuclear power plant.

I'd appreciate it if people who know about it or have experiences about it can share. Besides the interview process I still feel like I only know the general idea of what the job is, but not anything in great detail. This would be a considerable job change for me so I'd like to make sure I'm well informed.

Thank you!

TVA is correct most power plants do not have firefighters and the engineering positions may also be a collateral duty for engineers of other disciplines. Most larger DOE sites do have firefighters and engineers specific to fire mitigation and emergency response. On the EMT side that varies but that too probably is a collateral duty relegated to first responders with possibly day time coverage with a nurse especially during outages. My experience is dated but working as a radiation protection supervisor in the 80s I had firefighting training and certified as an EMT to be a first responder.

What is the job title you are applying for?

TVA

At Fermi we were trained in basic CPR and acted as a Fire Brigade. A different group did fire protection systems testing.

At Sequoyah we had a fire group that did that. They did fire protection systems testing.

At GGNS Ops does it all

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
I'm also curious if it's normal to have a ~1 hour phone interview prior to the POSS? Struck me as odd that several (3-4) people spent that much time talking to me prior to me even taking said test. For all they'd know I'd fail it and they wasted their morning.

(I attempted to edit my original post but the captcha was bugged.)

A phone interview is an hour or so out of someone's day. The POSS exam is half day day event that they have to bring you out for. So it makes more sense to do a basic interview first, especially given travel restrictions right now. After the interview, they can decide if they want to bring you out for the test.

When I tested with Exelon, they brought me out for three days, POSS/BMSC exam, the "supervisor" test (all day role-playing exam), and the interview, but that was six years ago.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
as has bin espoused hear, n.p.p. fire fighting is sum thing most can't hold a candle two.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Tony Pittiscatta

• Very Lite User

TVA is correct most power plants do not have firefighters and the engineering positions may also be a collateral duty for engineers of other disciplines. Most larger DOE sites do have firefighters and engineers specific to fire mitigation and emergency response. On the EMT side that varies but that too probably is a collateral duty relegated to first responders with possibly day time coverage with a nurse especially during outages. My experience is dated but working as a radiation protection supervisor in the 80s I had firefighting training and certified as an EMT to be a first responder.

What is the job title you are applying for?

https://jobs.nexteraenergy.com/job/Seabrook-Firefighter-Technician-II-NH-03874/657149500/

This is the position.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?