Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BHI & 'The Nuclear Promise'...as it applies to contractor training
honeypot

Poll

I recently had a supervisor in BHI OPS try to tell me that it was my responsibility to complete a bunch of training on my own time. He said this is because the plants want save money to fulfill 'The Nuclear Promise'.

He is wrong - Training still takes place on the clock once you report.
0 (0%)
He is wrong - Telling employees to train unpaid is a violation of labor laws.
0 (0%)
Both options above
3 (75%)
He is right.
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: BHI & 'The Nuclear Promise'...as it applies to contractor training  (Read 2956 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
So...I showed up at an outage this spring and ran afoul of the plant's new COVID protocol - sent off-site for about a week. One of the BHI supervisors told me that the only way I could still have a job is if I completed all the training on my own time while at the hotel. He said that doing training unpaid is common practice since 'The Nuclear Promise'?

Is anyone else being forced to complete training on their own time? How would this not be a violation of basic labor laws?

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
d n z does the same thing, four the basic training aka the c.i.r.p.stuff.   this is akin two going to school awn yore own dime. site specifics, like procedures, are dun bye computer lab and are payed fore.
nuclear promise and c.i.r.p. are a deal ware yew pass n never haftar take the test again.
until sum body knead two make a buck offe teaching stuff again.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
it would of been nice if they told you all that before you showed up........that's the problem.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Each state has their own labor laws. I have noticed that there are several job postings that have training as a requiement for employment. Ask the questions up front, so you don't get a surprise.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
it would of been nice if they told you all that before you showed up........that's the problem.
Gotta learn two ask the rite questions too get the answers yew knead.

Coda payed attention to da postings a few years back awn this stuff.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Each state has their own labor laws. I have noticed that there are several job postings that have training as a requiement for employment. Ask the questions up front, so you don't get a surprise.

I must not have given enough information.

The recruiter and I both understood what was expected of me when I hired on. However, after I reported, the utility changed their COVID protocol. At that point, since I ran afoul of the new protocol, I was not allowed to be on-site for about a week.

The utility then pressured the site coordinator to have me complete a bunch of training at the hotel. A higher level Bartlett supervisor ended up quoting 'The Nuclear Promise' as justification for them expecting me to accept that this training, which everyone originally agreed I would be paid to do, should now be completed unpaid.

I am just trying to get a feel for whether Bartlett as a whole has started catering to the utilities' desire to cut the budget (AKA 'The Nuclear Promise') to the point that the rent-a-techs are bearing a unfair burden?
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2020, 01:23 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Aaaand, this is why I am happier making $20/hr driving an oil delivery truck than working in nuclear.
Sorry y.ou guys still have to go thru this - but it's supply and demand - more workers than work, fewer plants every year. Get the heck off this gerbil wheel and do something else. Money does not equal happy
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
I must not have given enough information.

The recruiter and I both understood what was expected of me when I hired on. However, after I reported, the utility changed their COVID protocol. At that point, since I ran afoul of the new protocol, I was not allowed to be on-site for about a week.

The utility then pressured the site coordinator to have me complete a bunch of training at the hotel. A higher level Bartlett supervisor ended up quoting 'The Nuclear Promise' as justification for them expecting me to accept that this training, which everyone originally agreed I would be paid to do, should now be completed unpaid.

I am just trying to get a feel for whether Bartlett as a whole has started catering to the utilities' desire to cut the budget (AKA 'The Nuclear Promise') to the point that the rent-a-techs are bearing a unfair burden?
Why weren't you being paid to be at the motel for the Coronavirus?
If you were paid there, why is the training pay a problem?
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Why weren't you being paid to be at the motel for the Coronavirus?
If you were paid there, why is the training pay a problem?

The in-depth story behind all that is over here: https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,46899.msg211009.html#msg211009

The short story is...I was not being paid.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2020, 06:41 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
Not knowing why you "ran afoul of the plant's new COVID protocol" and were at the motel. Everything I've read on the NPPs approach to people who tested positive was that they were being paid 8hrs/day.

Regardless, welcome to the New Normal at the NPP and the Nuclear Promise.😏
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Not knowing why you "ran afoul of the plant's new COVID protocol" and were at the motel. Everything I've read on the NPPs approach to people who tested positive was that they were being paid 8hrs/day.

Regardless, welcome to the New Normal at the NPP and the Nuclear Promise.😏

Yeah, your 'New Normal' is the reason I hadn't swung a meter in a commercial plant in almost 10 years. There are definitely better long-term options out there.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
Yeah, your 'New Normal' is the reason I hadn't swung a meter in a commercial plant in almost 10 years. There are definitely better long-term options out there.
Not MY New Normal, sir.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Just got an email from BHI/NANTel that they will be making some continuing training mandatory (and unpaid, if you aren't already onsite) starting in 2021?

"Beginning in January 2021, your position qualification will be suspended until this course is completed, even if you are assigned to a site at that time.  . The course should only take three to four hours to complete.  You can complete this course at home or during a work assignment."

Sorry about the weird formatting...was having a hard time with the legibility of my cut-and-paste from the email.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2020, 02:48 by Marlin »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
Did they say what the training was?
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Yeah. It was the 2020 Continuing Training Course for RP  Supplemental Technicians.

Hmmm...now that I read it from that standpoint, maybe it is saying that THIS course needs to be completed by 2021...and they already had other courses they were hoping you would complete on your own time? I had originally read it as meaning 'mandatory' training-on-your-own-time wouldn't be official BHI policy until next January, but...?

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
I'm thinking that's the 2020 curriculum to be completed by the end of the year. There'll be another next year.
Not very challenging. I usually have an issue with one question, not always getting it wrong, but it seems there's always that one which is stupid.
A REM is a REM is a REM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?