Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Work life balance

Author Topic: Work life balance  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Tabby

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Work life balance
« on: Aug 11, 2020, 12:23 »
Please tell me how you manage work life balance- particularly with kids. Do you feel like you are missing out on spending time with them? Would a 9-5 be better vs shift work or is the time off sufficient to make it work ?

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Re: Work life balance
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2020, 06:49 »
Work in the winter.
Take off In the summer.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:23 »
Work in the winter.
Take off In the summer.
I used to have that same balance. My new balance is when the income exceeds the committed outflow, life can proceed.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:50 »
What particular job do you have? Does your wife work? Does her job have benefits? Where do you live? How old are the kids? This is the first 5 of 20 questions.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11:35 »
Does your wife work?

I suppose she could have a wife but the odds are husband.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11:45 »
Please tell me how you manage work life balance- particularly with kids. Do you feel like you are missing out on spending time with them? Would a 9-5 be better vs shift work or is the time off sufficient to make it work ?

time off is time off - how you manage and spend it is all on you,....

9 - 5,.....

doctors work  9 - 5, dentists work 9 - 5, bankers, school admin offices, lots and lots of service providers, etc.,....

so, if you work 9 - 5 and you frequently need time off for all those things vis a vis yourself and your kids, then how can you expect the other person who does not need that time to not score better than you on the reliability aspect of your periodic evaluations?!?!?!

as long as you are good with that, and appreciate a job where you can take that much time off, and do it all without gritting your teeth when co-worker X gets a better eval in some aspects important to the workplace, then work the 9 - 5,....

with shift work, if you manage things well, you can personally attend most all of those other 9 - 5'ers outside the workplace with no one at the workplace being any the wiser, or even having it matter to them as it's not their business because it does not impact their business,....

been there, done that,....
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2020, 11:50 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11:50 »
Oh my goodness! First step to PolySci.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Tabby

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:38 »
Thank you for the responses everybody! How does it work if you need to take time off? (Vacation, etc)
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2020, 08:41 by Tabby »

Offline Tabby

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:42 »
This is correct. 😊

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2020, 09:05 »
Swings - not good for having kids, good for younger people or if you like to go out at night.
Mids - good if you can sleep at work.  some plants schedule a good bit of work on mids.
Days - good if you have decent management/supervision and can stand them.  good for family.
Rotating shiftwork - good if your body can tolerate it.  Good if you are flexible and like flexibility.

Offline Tabby

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2020, 10:05 »
Swings - not good for having kids, good for younger people or if you like to go out at night.
Mids - good if you can sleep at work.  some plants schedule a good bit of work on mids.
Days - good if you have decent management/supervision and can stand them.  good for family.
Rotating shiftwork - good if your body can tolerate it.  Good if you are flexible and like flexibility.

I have two kids. 6 months and 3 years old.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:04 »

....Rotating shiftwork - good if your body can tolerate it.  Good if you are flexible and like flexibility.

almost my personal favorite,...12 noon to midnite is my penultimate favorite,....

I have two kids. 6 months and 3 years old.

if it's a union job there is a rule book and it's all in there, as with all things there are up sides to the union shop and there are down sides,...

if you can get to have ALL your time off as PTO that's a good thing, well, at least I like PTO versus vacation, sick, personal, etc.,....

need off for Ramadan?!?!?, take PTO, need time off for the dentist?!?!?, take PTO, etc., etc.,...

PTO is very democratic and very secular and I like it for that,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Tabby

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:10 »

almost my personal favorite,...12 noon to midnite is my penultimate favorite,....

if it's a union job there is a rule book and it's all in there, as with all things there are up sides to the union shop and there are down sides,...

if you can get to have ALL your time off as PTO that's a good thing, well, at least I like PTO versus vacation, sick, personal, etc.,....

need off for Ramadan?!?!?, take PTO, need time off for the dentist?!?!?, take PTO, etc., etc.,...

PTO is very democratic and very secular and I like it for that,...

Non union, I also prefer pto. Just curious, when I used to work at a power plant ops always tried to take vacation to line up with their 7 days off to have a good chunk of time off.  Not sure if there was a rule about it, or if it was just personal preference. It was a union plant.
Thank you for taking the time to share information and answer my questions.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2020, 10:22 by Tabby »

Offline Tabby

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:14 »
On that note.. I am waiting for the interview to be scheduled. What questions would you ask interviewer  ? Perhaps this is better suited for a new topic but doesn’t hurt to ask.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:22 »
Quote from: hamsamich link=topic=47029.msg212649#msg212649 d
Mids - good if you can sleep at work.  some plants schedule a good bit of work on  mids.   

Dang - sleep at work ? Was never an option any mids I ever worked !!
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2020, 09:59 by Marlin »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2020, 07:58 »
Yes Five, not at a commercial nuclear plant, no.  hint hint

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?