Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu THE UNITED STATES NAVAL NUCLEAR PROPULSION PROGRAM 2020

Author Topic: THE UNITED STATES NAVAL NUCLEAR PROPULSION PROGRAM 2020  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
   As with any government publication it is a bit long here are some Cliff Notes  that only 121,300 Americans have met the grade to join our exalted ranks.  That is the total number over 7 decades, but just comparing this total number to the current US population it is less than 0.04%.

Also, every NR Director is a submariner;

Every NR Director except Admiral Bowman is a USNA graduate;

Every NR Director, except Admiral Rickover commanded an SSN;

Finally, 4 of the 6 NR Directors after Admiral Rickover retired have also commanded DEVRON 12.

THE UNITED STATES NAVAL NUCLEAR PROPULSION PROGRAM 2020

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2020/07/f76/2020%20United%20States%20Naval%20Nuclear%20Propulsion%20Program.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3tXqIPcBd7PsNUOK2IrPFCiEztXm2ZaLVc_C5L-arErB-ne2N2eNtgwvg
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2020, 12:13 by Marlin »

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
Re: THE UNITED STATES NAVAL NUCLEAR PROPULSION PROGRAM 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:55 »
The full document is currently exceeding my rural MBS speed. But always being a Cliff Notes fan - so someone please refresh my decaying memory. Top 1% or top 10% for ELTs? Be it 12,130 or 1213 - immortal reputation finally verified. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz -CVN 68. 80-84.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2020, 03:17 »
The full document is currently exceeding my rural MBS speed. But always being a Cliff Notes fan - so someone please refresh my decaying memory. Top 1% or top 10% for ELTs? Be it 12,130 or 1213 - immortal reputation finally verified. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz -CVN 68. 80-84.

it changed over time and some of those changes are in the forums,...

top 50% once upon a time

open to all once upon a time

top 10%?!?!?!  -  I'm not sure it was ever that exclusive but mebbe so,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2020, 03:46 »
it changed over time and some of those changes are in the forums,...

top 50% once upon a time

open to all once upon a time

top 10%?!?!?!  -  I'm not sure it was ever that exclusive but mebbe so,...

ELT and Instructor were the same criteria when I went through S1W and if you wanted consideration you had to apply for both after your MM quals were done. They kept no instructors so all selected were ELTs.

Comparing the program washout rate today from when I was in is not really fair, yes the washout was as high as 90% if you go from applying to the program to completion. The bottom third of the Machinist Mate class was dropped whether you passed or failed, I don't know about the other rates. I was in during a period with a 600 ship fleet and much larger manning for the Navy in general and those drafted went to the Army or Marines. People then who washed out simply filled other needed billets. Now with a smaller fleet and manning ~300 ships there less opportunity to place dropouts in other billets. I think the entry requirements now may be a little stiffer and there is more emphasis on retention of those in the pipeline. There was little or no effort for my shipmates other than extra hours if you failed a weekly test.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2021, 06:31 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2020, 03:57 »
Do they still put some EMs through ELT they did a few when I was in. I agree with GLW the criteria for ELTs drifted with the needs of the Navy.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:48 »
They were not doing that anymore in 1989....but I heard about it.  Never met one.  They were considering letting one of our RTs qualify S/G chemistry though on my boat.  Never happened.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2020, 09:33 »
They were not doing that anymore in 1989....but I heard about it.  Never met one.

Had one on my boat irritated the chiefs trying to schedule his watch and maintenance duties.

They were considering letting one of our RTs qualify S/G chemistry though on my boat.  Never happened.

Our mechanics in Lower Level Machinery 2 could do secondary chemistry except for the samples before and after chemical adds. The Engineer after a couple of mistakes by the non-ELTs restricted them from all but routine samples. Made for long days at the end of a patrol but I guess that was payback for all the sleaze during the patrol.  :D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?