Career Path > Radiation Safety

Canadian Radiation Protection Test

<< < (2/2)

UncaBuffalo:
I talked to a couple of people who took it and passed...barely. And all others in their groups flat-out failed. And they said at least one group had zero percent pass rate.

Apparently it's not so much a matter of the theory being different, but it's a timed test and most people couldn't get from joules deposited per kilogram to units they understood...and then back to becquerel (or whatever) quickly enough?

Dave Warren:
I do agree with the post from "fiveeleven". Darlington had an alpha issue when I was there and the outrage from the CNSC (Canadian NRC) was equivalent to Chernobyl damn near. They have hearings that are televised live and the utilities have to come in and explain why they exposed people to alpha. I would say that knowing your alpha interactions, etc. would be a very vital thing to have in your tool bag when you sit down in the exam room.

UncaBuffalo:
Also found out there is a long (6 hours was mentioned) oral board as part of qual process.

fiveeleven:
Seems a bit on the overkill side of things. If practical factor demonstration is included then could be a somewhat useful tool. Spending 6 hours jawing about theoretical aspects with a job-coverage technician is a waste of time. Knowing that 1 joule/kg = 100 rem = 1Sv, 1Gy = 100 rad = 1 joule/kg, -  yada yada accomplishes little. Showing that ya know when/why to hang a rope, when /why to establish an area and guard it, when to stop and call a RP supervisor, etc. is good use of time. Perhaps to kill some valuable time a quick drawing of the main feed system with all required valve positions to support a N2H4 addition could be used !! How do money matters work up there with the dollar and whatever is used up yonder not being on equal terms ?

UncaBuffalo:
We haven't been able to get the money details yet.  I think one of the other contractors was paying in CAD? So the exchange rate hurt? And techs who have worked up there mentioned taxes being a problem?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version