0 (0%)
Straightforward
0 (0%)
Easy
0 (0%)
Other: specify
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Canadian Radiation Protection Test  (Read 2039 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Canadian Radiation Protection Test
« on: Sep 27, 2020, 09:39 »
Heard a big dirt job starting up there soon. But also heard the test is a real pain. Anyone  taken it? What study material should we focus on?

I will be trying to help some techs prep who don't have much theory background,  so...any pertinent study material, practice tests, or tutoring ideas appreciated.

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
Re: Canadian Radiation Protection Test
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2020, 07:12 »
A somewhat wise man once said - It really doesnt matter how radiation interacts with matter, until it matters, and then it can matter a lot.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2020, 10:32 »
Heard a big dirt job starting up there soon. But also heard the test is a real pain. Anyone  taken it? What study material should we focus on?

I will be trying to help some techs prep who don't have much theory background,  so...any pertinent study material, practice tests, or tutoring ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

A buddy of mine (Tom Dupes) passed that test. He said it was a bear (Canada reference. I was at Darlington Nuclear, so I can't elaborate on it, but I may be able to find you some info. Are you talking CNL (Chalk River)?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2020, 05:29 »
Sounds like it's controlled by Chalk River, but at a different location? The guy who knows about it is production, so doesn't have a lot of RP answers...and is just finding things out on his side of game, so...I will post more as info trickles down.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2020, 09:59 »
C'mon man - Ima thinking that the radiation up North is the same as here. If ya can pass the NUF, or god-forbid even mentioning it - the NEU, the Canuck version should be a piece of pie. Just have to emphasize that thou shalt not release a big pile of potentially Tritiated dirt with a frisker !! I seem to recall they were focusing on legacy alpha up dere so if the site is so inclined perhaps some of the excellent DOE material available on 2He4 stuff.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2020, 07:27 »
I talked to a couple of people who took it and passed...barely. And all others in their groups flat-out failed. And they said at least one group had zero percent pass rate.

Apparently it's not so much a matter of the theory being different, but it's a timed test and most people couldn't get from joules deposited per kilogram to units they understood...and then back to becquerel (or whatever) quickly enough?

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2020, 08:15 »
I do agree with the post from "fiveeleven". Darlington had an alpha issue when I was there and the outrage from the CNSC (Canadian NRC) was equivalent to Chernobyl damn near. They have hearings that are televised live and the utilities have to come in and explain why they exposed people to alpha. I would say that knowing your alpha interactions, etc. would be a very vital thing to have in your tool bag when you sit down in the exam room.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2020, 04:22 »
Also found out there is a long (6 hours was mentioned) oral board as part of qual process.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2020, 05:38 »
Seems a bit on the overkill side of things. If practical factor demonstration is included then could be a somewhat useful tool. Spending 6 hours jawing about theoretical aspects with a job-coverage technician is a waste of time. Knowing that 1 joule/kg = 100 rem = 1Sv, 1Gy = 100 rad = 1 joule/kg, -  yada yada accomplishes little. Showing that ya know when/why to hang a rope, when /why to establish an area and guard it, when to stop and call a RP supervisor, etc. is good use of time. Perhaps to kill some valuable time a quick drawing of the main feed system with all required valve positions to support a N2H4 addition could be used !! How do money matters work up there with the dollar and whatever is used up yonder not being on equal terms ?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:34 »
We haven't been able to get the money details yet.  I think one of the other contractors was paying in CAD? So the exchange rate hurt? And techs who have worked up there mentioned taxes being a problem?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?