Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu pocket size nukes  

Author Topic: pocket size nukes  (Read 1377 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 03:12 by Marlin »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: pocket size nukes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:20 »
ALARP?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:55 »
ALARP?
I think it's a Limey thing.
"38.3.3 The ALARP Principle
The ALARP (“as low as reasonably practicable”; see Figure 38.5) principle is sometimes used in the oil and gas industry (UK HSE, 1992). The use of the ALARP principle may be interpreted as, satisfying a requirement to keep the risk level “as low as possible” provided that the ALARP evaluations are extensively documented. In the ALARP region (between “lower tolerable limit” and “upper tolerable limit”), the risk is tolerable, only if risk reduction is impracticable or if its cost is grossly disproportionate to the improvement gained. The common way to determine what is practicable is to use cost–benefit evaluations as a basis for the decision on whether certain risk reducing measures should be implemented..."
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/as-low-as-reasonably-practicable-process-safety
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:06 »
ALARA was originally (and briefly) ALAP -- As Low As Practicable, but that word is not well recognized (or pronounced) in the US so they changed it to ALARA hoping that people would understand its meaning when deciphered.
I had not seen ALARP before. Just struck me funny for some reason.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:11 »
I had not seen ALARP before. Just struck me funny for some reason.
It is an acronym which will put on the brakes of an domestic nuke skimming the article. Got me a bit google eyed.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:21 »

.....The ALARP (“as low as reasonably practicable”..........

may as well have stated "reasonably reasonable",...

one of the few times where the limey's queen's english comes up short against the colonial's adulterated english,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2020, 12:16 »
may as well have stated "reasonably reasonable",...

one of the few times where the limey's queen's english comes up short against the colonial's adulterated english,...

That would be true if the word was practical and not practicable. Reasonably practical is somewhat redundant, but reasonably practicable is not.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?