Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Safety Third honeypot

Author Topic: Safety Third  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Safety Third
« on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:44 »
   Are you safety types cringing yet? I did at first. The safety first and zero accidents mantra has been at all the nuclear power plants, Army Corp of Engineers remediation sites and especially at DOE/NNSA sites I have worked. Mike Rowe has a much more blue collar approach to safety. He also makes some very good comments on the pandemic related to relative risk. The only place that safety first was not true for me was when I worked as an SME for hazardous material retrieval after Katrina with the EPA. Hazards were too broad to be simplified to a digestible list. Other than basic industrial PPE it was mainly for god's sake be careful. There was a lot to be done to get people back to their normal life and we used Mike's safety third with no injuries to our crew without knowing we were doing it.

Walk me through this “Safety Third” thing

What I suggested in my post last week, was that Safety is not a thing to be “ranked,” but rather, a state of mind, to be applied as needed to a myriad of situations in varying amounts. But if we were to rank it, it would rarely be “first.” Were safety truly “first,” no level of risk would ever be encouraged or permitted, and no work would ever get done. Or play, for that matter.

https://mikerowe.com/2020/03/walk-me-through-this-safety-third-thing/
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2020, 10:48 by Marlin »

Offline Al Eidson

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Safety Third
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2020, 09:36 »
I thought that was excellent. It's been 3 years since I worked, but it was getting to where we just went through the appearance of good safety practices rather than a true focus on safety. After hearing the same lines over and over it was how well you could recite them rather than practice them. It's good to get an objective view from outside our nuclear culture, even though I think safety is a true priority.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?