Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trying to go from shipyard RCT, to commercial RPT honeypot

Author Topic: Trying to go from shipyard RCT, to commercial RPT  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Lmichalak67

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I am currently a 108 qualified radcon tech with Electric Boat, wanting to make the jump to commercial. I am wanting to get a job at Southern Company (plant farley). Im unsure of how to go from a shipyard rct over to the commercial side. Anyone have any tips or ideas that would help me? I qualified last month (dec 2020). No prior military, just 2 years prior to radcon in industrial radiography. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Trying to go from shipyard RCT, to commercial RPT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2021, 06:30 »
I am currently a 108 qualified radcon tech with Electric Boat, wanting to make the jump to commercial. I am wanting to get a job at Southern Company (plant farley). Im unsure of how to go from a shipyard rct over to the commercial side. Anyone have any tips or ideas that would help me? I qualified last month (dec 2020). No prior military, just 2 years prior to radcon in industrial radiography. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Look for a job posting for Southern, and apply for it.  It's just that simple.

Offline Al Eidson

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:47 »
I worked with a lot of tech from EB over the years. The field is wide open for you. Just about all the supervisors at Turkey point had worked there. Good luck.

Offline Lmichalak67

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:22 »
I dont need anymore qualifications aside from having my NAVSEA108 qual?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:55 »

That is up to the utility but follow this link for a guide.

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=4395.0

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:40 »

For a Senior RP/HP, the minimum qualifications are a HS Diploma, and 3 years of experience.

That is what you NEED to qualify for the job.

To improve your chances over someone with 20 years of commercial power RP experience, and a family member working at Farley?

Well, a 2 year degree wouldn't hurt.  NRRPT wouldn't hurt.  Commercial Nuclear experience wouldn't hurt... A family member that is the hiring manager wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021, 08:42 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:57 »
For a Senior RP/HP, the minimum qualifications are a HS Diploma, and 3 years of experience.

That is what you NEED to qualify for the job.

To improve your chances over someone with 20 years of commercial power RP experience, and a family member working at Farley?

Well, a 2 year degree wouldn't hurt.  NRRPT wouldn't hurt.  Commercial Nuclear experience wouldn't hurt... A family member that is the hiring manager wouldn't hurt.

being young enough to actually allow you to work for the company for 20+ years prior to retirement may be a plus,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?