Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Power Costs

Author Topic: Nuclear Power Costs  (Read 859 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
Re: Nuclear Power Costs
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2021, 02:14 »
So, reading this, I'm forced to wonder: We've built these things before in a reasonable time frame. Why can't we do it now? Has construction management lost the basic competence to oversee a project of this scope? It seems to me they may have. (Sadly) If projects I've worked on are any indication, workers are working harder yet making less progress than they did years ago. I think we as an industry need to look into this and ask; Why is this happening? Is it a really regulatory issue? Or are we just making excuses for the "Aunt's brothers and cousins" who can't actually get it done?
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2021, 07:11 »
So, reading this, I'm forced to wonder: We've built these things before in a reasonable time frame. Why can't we do it now? Has construction management lost the basic competence to oversee a project of this scope? It seems to me they may have. (Sadly) If projects I've worked on are any indication, workers are working harder yet making less progress than they did years ago. I think we as an industry need to look into this and ask; Why is this happening? Is it a really regulatory issue? Or are we just making excuses for the "Aunt's brothers and cousins" who can't actually get it done?
I would guess 30 years of inactivity is enough to create a glut in expertise. Couple that with a new plant design and a regulatory arm that is no longer well-versed in the process, and it's all a recipe for disaster.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2021, 09:39 »
I would guess 30 years of inactivity is enough to create a glut in expertise. Couple that with a new plant design and a regulatory arm that is no longer well-versed in the process, and it's all a recipe for disaster.
True but... When we were building them in the 60's and seventies it was still a relatively new thing as well! And while there were plants that fell to a barrage of lawsuits and governmental obstruction (Like Shoreham!), The pace of construction itself seemed steadier. It says right in the article that this is largely due to poor management! That's what I was focusing on!
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2021, 06:24 »
We used to build things back then, instead of running around trying to be politically correct all day.  That git er done attitude has been eclipsed by no good deed goes unpunished.  CYA costs billions when you have to CYA to the nth degree.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?