Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke ET Advancement Exam

Author Topic: Nuke ET Advancement Exam  (Read 13065 times)

Lailoken

Nuke ET Advancement Exam
« on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:27 »
In a few days, I am going to be taking the e-5 advancement exam at NNPTC for a Nuke ET.  I am anxious about it and I am curious about what I am going to need to know.  I have heard it is next to impossible to advance, but the is the myth that a few do make it...supposedly meritoriously.  I want to make it I am would like to know how...or at least get the best score that I can.  Any advice?

nukenub

Re: Nuke ET Advancement Exam
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:53 »
Hi Lailoken.  I am also a nuke ET who made E-5 on her 3rd try.  Yes, it is rare that someone makes E-5 the first time around, especially at Power school or Prototype, reason being primarily that you just haven't seen some of the stuff yet.  I saw one of my buddies make E-5 in prototype.  We had one E-5 at power school, but he was a sea returnee.  Just keep learnin your stuff.  Your eval scores will help w/ PNA points.  I made it just a few months out of prototype.  Now I'm in the STA-21 program, so go figure, I'm not even standing watch right now, but anyway....  Also, doing well in the general military stuff will help, at least it did for me.  If you have any more questions, let me know.

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:53 »
Ok, without doing alot of research-

Every exam is based on a bibliography.  That bibliography is listed on a website that can be accessed through NKO.  You need to seek this information out and find the sources.  

Half of the exam will be Nuke ET stuff, the other half will be professional military knowledge that has more to do with how to be a good sailor vice a good ET.

Go to your advisor and ask him or her to help you find the bib for your exam.  Then, get online and start googling.  Most of the PMK sources can be found online.

Here is a good start:

https://www.advancement.cnet.navy.mil/study/asg/sailor/

Your chain of command is there to help you.  Use them.  This forum is nice to have, but should never supplant using your advisor, your Chief, or anyoine else in your chain of command.

Taylor (MMC)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:04 »
If you want to get a high grade on an acvancement exam, know the materials in the Rate Training Manuals and subordinate. That means you should study ET3&2, PO3&2, and SN for this exam, as well as any other manuals referenced in your ET3&2.

(You would be amazed how many of the questions on my MMC exam were answered by FN but not really answered by MM3&2 or MM1&C. I also did the BT series due to the relationship at that time.)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

s_Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:13 »
Give up, you wont make it while your in the pipeline.  The test's are a joke.  You will just look at the question and ask your self how can any not pass this. 

I took it twice, once at the end of powe and then at the end of proto.  Made it first time out in the fleet.    3 years out of school now, only 1 guy i know has not made it first time up.  And he made a xmas tree on his test.  He still passed but did not get high enough to be advanced.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:55 »
I made E5 in Power School as an MM. I studied all the MM Manuals up through and Including the 1 and C. I also studied the Military Requirements up through E6.
When I made E6 I did the same exact thing.

Mike

shayne

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005, 10:09 »
Are Nuclear Field students taking the nuclear rating exams?

Students in the training pipeline had their own mulitple.  The Navy would advance a couple of the top students thru the pipeline, which during my training usually was the class leaders.  They were getting the 4.0 when the rest were getting 3.8 and 3.6 evals which helped them advance.  But having good test scores helps also, evals alone will not help you advance.

ex-SSN585

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:13 »
I passed every exam I took during my 20 year career and was either advanced from the exam or was board eligible.  After doing the rating and general military courses, I did not study from the rate training manuals.  I spent my time reading the NSTMs and technical manuals.  I considered the NSTMs/technical manuals to be the source material, on which the RTMs are based.  I don't know about the current nuclear-rating specific exams, though.  I would imagine that the NSTMs and technical manuals would be still good primary sources.

That's not the usual advice, but that's what I suggested to one of my ELT/MM3s, and he passed and was advanced from the next test.

taterhead

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:44 »
ex-SSN-

They have made it even easier than that.

They tell you specifically what chapters of the NSTM and other technical manuals that they will test from.  They took the guess work out of it.  Just find and study the bibliography, and you will know down to the chapter what will be asked of you.

Heck, everyone should advance, or at least pass.

wetbedknob

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2005, 08:46 »
The tests are nuke specific and yes they do tell you what to look at.

JoeFlo

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2005, 01:19 »
I'm an ET. I took the exam a few weeks ago. Your not going to make it in the pipeline. It used to be the conventional ET exam but they changed it so most of the material is confidential. Your gonna see questions like....what is the purpose of form #kjhsfd-2343, and you have to know what that is! Its bogus..I blew it off, went home and slept...I made good use out of that extra free time.

taterhead

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2005, 03:29 »
In the pipeline, a candidate for advancement is at a disadvantage.  Ideally, the student is concentrating on nuclear studies, and not hitting the books to learn the exam stuff.

That being said, it is not impossible.  There are resources.  If you are well ahead of the curve, it might not hurt to divert some attention to exam prep.

shayne

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2005, 04:07 »
I have been trying to get a hold of electronic versions of the MM 3&2,1&C EM 3&2, 1&C and ET 3&2,1&C.  Does anyone have some that I could get or a link to find them?  I no longer have access to the Navy Courses online.

Fermi2

Shayne
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2005, 04:37 »
I believe Kevin Dahm has a CD with the MM 3 and 2, NEETS, GSM and GSE courses, Math, Aviation Manuals, Fluid Power, and Blue Print Reading on it.

He gave me a copy. I still have it. Ask Kevin if he can burn you one. If he doesn't have it PM me your address and I'll burn you a copy.

Also, when Kevin does his reserve time he has access to that stuff.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?