Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Working and living at the Barakah power station UAE  

Author Topic: Working and living at the Barakah power station UAE  (Read 7598 times)

Offline BISCUITMAN

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Hello,
Has anyone got any knowledge and experience of working at the Barakah Station and what is the standard of the living accommodation provided.
Many thanks

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Working and living at the Barakah power station UAE
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2021, 07:17 »
I am also interested, so...? Anyone?

I will say that I did some research about this a year ago. Rumor at that time was that the rooms were about like your standard hotel. Recruiter I talked to said they provided you with transportation also...but then I heard everyone was basically confined to the compound because of the pandemic, so...?

Thanks for any current information about the job....which contract company treats you best, pros & cons of the experience, etc...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline cranford

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2021, 08:25 »
One of my friends was working in Barakah no nuke related and I can only remember that he was complaining all the time about how hot is the place... I can get in touch with him if you wanna learn more about the place. He worked there as an engineer for 3 years and then managed to buy villa in Nice so I can say that he was getting paid well.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2022, 01:24 »
Heard that one of the French companies was awarded the RP technician contract for this outage? And pay-rate low...$7000-ish per month base? Apparently able to staff it mostly with Central Asian technicians?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2022, 03:09 »
Heard that one of the French companies was awarded the RP technician contract for this outage? And pay-rate low...$7000-ish per month base? Apparently able to staff it mostly with Central Asian technicians?

...and no per diem. Ouch.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:53 »

Rumor at that time was that the rooms were about like your standard hotel.

New rumor is that the housing will be so full during the outage that you will be required to split a room with a worker who is on the opposite shift?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:55 »

Also 30 technicians from South Africa going. A HUGE loss for Koeberg...but will be good for the technicians...AND for Barakah.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2022, 12:23 »
Someone said that Barakah is the new RP "Fyre Festival"? Can anyone currently there tell us how things are going?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2022, 01:08 »
The South African techs are starting to bail out & come back to Koeberg. And Barakah is also losing several of their Canadian & European techs?

Guess communication is a huge issue in Abu Dhabi with all the different nationalities they staffed...?

The South African techs also felt like they were being asked to do too much decon work & not enough REAL radiation protection?
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2023, 02:14 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2022, 12:41 »
Anybody go to their outage this spring? How was it? I heard they were making the outage workers split a room with someone from the opposite shift?

Anybody there long-term? How is that? Do you still get your own room if you sign the one year contract?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:19 »
YOUCH! Just had a recruiter offer me $16 per hour (straight AND OT hours same rate) and no per diem! :(

On the plus side, you 'get' to live in a C-van...and eat cafeteria food!    ;)

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2023, 07:02 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 10:53 »
What's the secret to obtaining a decent job offer from a recruiter?   (Esp. a Barakah recruiter, but...ANY advice appreciated)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2023, 12:21 »
Looks like I am headed that way for their fall outage. Any advice from anyone who has been?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2023, 09:33 »
Guess the outage is basically all of October? They have me scheduled to start mid-September...and fly back home mid-November...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2023, 12:16 »
Heard there was a hiccup with first staff date? Group is in-country, but being told not to report to Barakah  for a week? So just sitting in hotel?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2023, 01:23 »
One of my friends was working in Barakah no nuke related and I can only remember that he was complaining all the time about how hot is the place...

I just got here...but can confirm the heat!  ;-)

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2023, 07:11 »
Its in a Middle Eastern desert.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2023, 07:28 by fiveeleven »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2023, 08:36 »
Its in a Middle Eastern desert.

True, but...?

I guess I was expecting the dry heat of a desert like Palo Verde? Humidity high in UAE...due to being right on Arabian Gulf? Feels more like South Texas.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2023, 08:42 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2023, 06:06 »
Fun group of techs....in my group we have people from Sweden, Argentina, Finland, Mexico, Bulgaria, Canada, Spain, South Africa, & USA...and have heard there are also already techs from Korea, UK, & Uganda onsite...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2023, 12:37 »
Hello,
Has anyone got any knowledge and experience of working at the Barakah Station and what is the standard of the living accommodation provided.
Many thanks

Ok. Currently if you are a male RP technician on a short contract you get a fairly decent (new paint on old building) room...double bed, desk, fridge, microwave, shower. Nothing fancy, but everything clean. As I understand it, there will be housekeeping & laundry service...although perhaps not every day?

The ladies are in newer (rumored nicer) buildings on other side of cafeteria.

Cafeteria is pretty basic, but plenty of food & choices.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2023, 04:14 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2023, 11:45 »
Found out that the room you get is based on what you bargained for when you hired on. Some of the techs accepted share rooms, while others have singles.

Apparently it is also luck of the draw and depends on what they have available? Some of the techs ended up in a building where they are having to share bathroom, even though they have their own room?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2023, 11:52 »
Got into the plant this week. First thing that struck me is...APR-1400s are HUGE.  Everything felt 50% larger than any other plant I have been in.

Have only been in Aux building so far. Plant comes down at end of month...will be interesting to see if CTMT is as roomy.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2023, 12:53 »
YOUCH! Just had a recruiter offer me $16 per hour (straight AND OT hours same rate) and no per diem! :(

On the plus side, you 'get' to live in a C-van...and eat cafeteria food!    ;)

I had seen no hint of these mysterious C-vans....and was ready to consign them to Urban Legend status...

BUT...it's true! They had techs SHARING cargo containers a couple of outages ago! Someone finally pointed out the notorious C-Van Compound to me. Awesome! This gets more entertaining by the day.

Note: Fewer workers onsite this outage, so no one got banished to Shipping Container Limbo.  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2023, 08:18 »
Recruiter I talked to said they provided you with transportation also...

Okay, so technically the recruiter was right...BUT...

I was picturing a rental car situation....or possibly a car with a driver. But something that was readily available so I could get where I wanted to go, do what I wanted to do, and see the country on my days off.

The reality is that what they 'provide' is the site shuttle system. So you can get from your dormitory to the plant if a shuttle happens to be running when you need to go to work. If it's not running then the contract company will generally line up another bus or car, but...definitely only available for work-related trips.

I'm not a hugely patient person, so often find myself a bit frustrated waiting 15 or 20 minutes for co-workers to arrive so a shuttle or transport vehicle can leave.

And definitely gives the whole experience a bit of a prison camp feel not to be able to get away when I want to.
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2023, 08:19 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2023, 07:44 »
Got into the plant this week. First thing that struck me is...APR-1400s are HUGE.  Everything felt 50% larger than any other plant I have been in.

Have only been in Aux building so far. Plant comes down at end of month...will be interesting to see if CTMT is as roomy.

Initial entry surveys last night...it IS just as roomy in the RCB.

And the cleanest plant I have ever worked. I took half dozen smears on one of the primary side S/G platforms...and zero contamination detected. I guess that area was relatively highly crapped up after they completed ECT last outage...but it was 98% Co58, so now has decayed?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?