Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MDA vs. MDC  

Author Topic: MDA vs. MDC  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Bear3705

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
MDA vs. MDC
« on: Jun 01, 2021, 10:58 »
What is the rational for using minimum detectable concentration over minimum detectable activity for portable friskers?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: MDA vs. MDC
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2021, 05:48 »
A frisker should be expressed as Lc (Critical detection level: the response level at which the detector output can be considered "above background", in net CPM), or MDCR (Minimum detectable count rate).
Neither of those items take into account detector efficiency, or unit conversions.  It is a 'pure' measure of an instruments ability to make that clicking sound with consistency. Independent of WHAT it is looking at.

MDA (Minimum detectable activity) adds those efficiencies.  But you would need to know the detector efficiency for your specific radionuclide(s) of interest.

Then there is LLD (Lower limit of detection), which factors in mass unit, area or volume.
or LD (Minimum significant activity level, i.e., the activity level that can be seen with a detector with a fixed level of certainty)

I guess I CAN remember things from 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2021, 06:06 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2021, 08:48 »
A frisker should be expressed as Lc (Critical detection level: the response level at which the detector output can be considered "above background", in net CPM), or MDCR (Minimum detectable count rate).
Neither of those items take into account detector efficiency, or unit conversions.  It is a 'pure' measure of an instruments ability to make that clicking sound with consistency. Independent of WHAT it is looking at.

MDA (Minimum detectable activity) adds those efficiencies.  But you would need to know the detector efficiency for your specific radionuclide(s) of interest.

Then there is LLD (Lower limit of detection), which factors in mass unit, area or volume.
or LD (Minimum significant activity level, i.e., the activity level that can be seen with a detector with a fixed level of certainty)

I guess I CAN remember things from 20 years ago.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2021, 08:05 »
A frisker will detect alpha, beta, and gamma radiation.
MDC is more applicable for the different radiations and mix of nuclides present while MDA is more applicable when the isotopes are narrowed to those known to be present and/or for which the instrument is source checked.

A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Bear3705

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2021, 06:36 »
Thank you both. That makes more sense to me. It was eating me alive.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2021, 09:44 »
Self consumption can be a slippery slope indeed. For an additional apertif, consider the fact that MDC is apriori and confident at a level of 0.95. Could come in handy in China. Raising local population dose limits will not affect the statistical variation(statistics) of counting instrumentation. ALARA applies to all humans, regardless if they have been trained or not.

WTF

Offline SpyCat

• Light User
  • RPT since 1984
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:48 »
I see 2 different things being compared here.  You mention
MDC minimum detectable concentration
but since this is relative to a frisker, maybe you mean
MDCR minimum detectable count rate?

Generally MDA compared to MDCR would be Activity DPM vs Count rate CPM.  If we accept that a frisker has a basic 10% efficiency (100 CPM/1000 DPM), the comparison is math.
But if Activity is compared with Concentration, different units are involved (DPM or uCi, versus uCi/cc).
In either event, your HP staff should be able to provide the rationale for using their particular method; it's likely based on the site's energy mix.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?