Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Charleston Naval Shipyard

Author Topic: Charleston Naval Shipyard  (Read 20720 times)

KyleE

Charleston Naval Shipyard
« on: Mar 09, 2005, 04:13 »
You haven't "lived" in Charleston until you find the "Moulin Rouge".  It is a bar/jazz club in the ghetto that is open late on Saturday, and even some Sundays.  It has a sliding window on the door and caters to college kids and military a.k.a. underage drinking.  Check it out, if it hasn't been demolished!
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2005, 01:12 by Rennhack »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2005, 04:19 »
In honor the Navy Nukes!
Give us your best stuff!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Re: Charleston, SC
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:13 »
I have attempted to find out if The Moulin Rouge is still open, but alas my attempts have not confirmed it. Google lists a phone number, which is no longer any good, and Bell South says they do not have a number.

But as a resident of SC, I can recommend the following websites that may help you in finding something for you or you and a family to do in the Charleston, SC area. You can never go wrong in visiting the Old Market area of Charleston, there is much to do and see both day and night.

www.sciway.net, this is an official site of the State of SC where you may look up almost anything in any town in the state.

www.discovercharleston.com, the name says it all.

www.charlestoncvb.com, sponsored by the Charleston Visitors Bureau

www.accesscharleston.con, I have used this site when planning a visit. It has a detailed list of places to see, things to do (including nightlife/bars).

May I suggest the following places to visit?

The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, a moderate priced restaurant near the market, based on the movie Forrest Gump.

Cypress Gardens, nature park/area where you can rent boats and paddle among nature. www.cypressgardens.org

Charles Town Landing, National Park, http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/stateparks/parkdetail.asp?PID=1575

Patriots Point Naval Museum, www.patriotspoint.org

radgal

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:55 »
I believe the resturant is called FIG.  Its a little pricey but the food is spectacular!  The lamb was perfect and the chocolate truffle dessert was shear Heaven.  Its was Oh My G**  good!

jjordan

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:40 »
Every time I pass through Charelston I stop at a place called Bessinger's. It's been voted SC's best BBQ several years running!!! It's right on 17 acrossed the street from a large Ford dealer (Palmetto I think) It's an all you can eat buffet, and all of the food is excellent not just the BBQ. It's also very reasonable, 10.95/ person the last time I was there. It's making me hungry just thinking about it!
JJ ;D

LaFeet

Re: Charleston Naval Shipyard
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:45 »
Magnolias is just about the best restaurant downtown.  Out west, try Kyoto's for excellent japanese teppan yaka food and sake.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:19 »
Magnolias????  If this the same place that advertised "southern cooking" on its sign and was in downtown then I have to disagree.  I ordered what was called a southern eggroll which lasted about two seconds to insert it in my mouth, chew twice, and swallow.  I then figured I would get a steak.  This pushed the tab to close to 60-70 dollars american, and I still had to hit an Arby's up on the way home.  BTW The wife and I are from Alabama, so when someone says southern cooking it better not be FUFU stuff, especially when she is prenant at the time.  Though I will say the atmosphere was real quiet, or maybe its always that slow in there.

LaFeet

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2006, 09:14 »
Sorry you had a badd experience.  And yeah. I guess it would be referred to as Fufu cooking.

But then I enjoy shrimp and grits as well as Fufu foods ;)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2006, 12:36 »
Saracen's was my favorite restsurant in Chucktown.  French Moroccan I think?  It was on East Bay Street.  The best place to hang out was "The Treehouse", which was a semi-rave club made from a big house near downtown.  Everybody went there for later-night action (past 12am).  That place was so kickin@!  Anybody remember it?  They shut it down in '95 I think.  Anything went in there, all kinds of crazy stuff going on.  Probly why it was shutdown.  Saracen's is still open I think.  Yummy. Kyotos is one of the best Japanese restaurants I have been to.

feathersmoke

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2006, 09:55 »
WOW!~  I remember the Treehouse!  That place rocked, indeed!  I can't believe someone else knows what it is!  I use to go there with some friends when we were in town watching a band at the Music Farm.  After the Music Farm, we would head over to the Treehouse.  I saw many wild things happen in there!  Good times....sigh....memories....

I don't remember the exact spelling, but a great place to eat is Guiseppies (pronounced Giseppys).

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2006, 08:14 »
If you put treehouse and charleston in the search engine for yahoo, you can find a few references to it by a DJ or 2 that used to play there.  I have never seen another place like that unless you are in LA or something with big rave bars, and I've never been to LA.  But it didn't seem like a big rave bar either, it is hard to put my finger on why it was so cool.  I still can't figure out how a place that cool ended up in Charleston, even though I did like Charleston, it seemed like the treehouse was like finding a big ripe plum on a crab apple tree.

LaFeet

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2006, 11:57 »
You should have gone to Club 5 down in Jacksonville Fla.... you woould've loved that joint

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2006, 12:19 »
from charleston?  that is a fer drive.

LaFeet

« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:46 »
Is California Dreaming still there???  I have not been back in some time.

Navnu

« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:02 »
Aye, it is.

McBride

« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2007, 12:24 »
Best entertainment I ever had in Charleston was aboard the USS Yorktown.

If you are CRAZY enough to do so, go OFF of the beaten path.

Friends and I went down into the engine rooms, and crawled all over that ship.  Take string snd flashlights to find your way back out!!!  We also hung cyalume sticks every so often.

My best friend and I disassembled a lube oil purifier and then reassembled it.  We were amazed at how it was so similar to one on 'the boat".  They actually had tools still in their work spaces.  It was like they pulled up, and left everything the way it was that day!  People had left notes, there were PODs hanging around, magazines and the like.  Just make sure you take only pictures, and leave only footprints. 

All of this was in the mid 80's, so they may have tightened security. 

Uh, on second thought...   Yorktown?  Never heard of it!  Patriot's Point?  That's just a golf course, right?

Offline SelectHousing

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:18 »
Looking for a furnished apartment near the Naval Shipyard or temporary housing in Charleston?  visit www.SelectCorporateHousing.co m or give us a call at 800.896.7290 to request a quote for an all-inclusive and fully-furnished apartment! 

EVERYTHING IS INCLUDED - SHORT TERM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?