Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New drone for mapping radiation in nuclear plants

Author Topic: New drone for mapping radiation in nuclear plants  (Read 803 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2021, 11:39 by Marlin »

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
Re: New drone for mapping radiation in nuclear plants
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2021, 06:44 »
The part about deploying from a non-contaminated area is important because the Elios model we used has a lot of kick and had to be launched from within a CA. It can definitely create an airborne area. The radiological and visual data collected was well worth it though.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2021, 09:01 »
The part about deploying from a non-contaminated area is important because the Elios model we used has a lot of kick and had to be launched from within a CA. It can definitely create an airborne area. The radiological and visual data collected was well worth it though.

from the article,...

....It does this both by taking the place of personnel where possible for visual and radiation data collection,....

the question always is:

when doing a CBA is it:

just a cool toy with some dose reduction gains OR,...

does it allow me to reduce human staffing and save on payroll, benefits and liabilities OR,...

does it create even more need for qualified human staffing and therefore cancels out the machine replaced man hours with machine tending man-hours, OR,...

do I save enough with dose reduction that it pays for itself?

cool toys are cool, just like cool cars and cool boats,...

but nuke ops is not a hobby, it's a business,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2021, 01:04 »
looks like a kool toy. plenty of tools in use for dose data gathering by personnel udder than h.p. in various areas of a plant. wit the air born generation inherent, won't bee much use for much be sides dose rating.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2021, 11:19 »
from the article,...

....It does this both by taking the place of personnel where possible for visual and radiation data collection,....

the question always is:

when doing a CBA is it:

just a cool toy with some dose reduction gains OR,...

does it allow me to reduce human staffing and save on payroll, benefits and liabilities OR,...

does it create even more need for qualified human staffing and therefore cancels out the machine replaced man hours with machine tending man-hours, OR,...

do I save enough with dose reduction that it pays for itself?

cool toys are cool, just like cool cars and cool boats,...

but nuke ops is not a hobby, it's a business,....

We used it for getting visual and radiological data in an area no person has been able to enter since '78 and no data was collected in the last 25+ years. We had two drone operators but still required RP coverage during the flight and plenty of RP support on the setup and post-flight sides.

The dose reduction aspect for our particular evolution was invaluable. It was physically impossible to put people in those areas. It was even able to fly down through the D-rings to the basement which no one had laid eyes on since the accident. They won't be reducing any human staffing based on the drone's use, but it does give the engineers and decision-makers a better perspective for planning work and focusing efforts where they'll be most effective.

At the end of the day, it is definitely a business. This drone won't be replacing bodies in my opinion (we could talk offline about the dose response curves and correction factors), but I see it as another tool for planners and management. That won't justify the expense at many sites, but it was extremely beneficial for us.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:45 »
We used it for getting visual and radiological data in an area no person has been able to enter since '78.....

.....This drone won't be replacing bodies in my opinion (we could talk offline about the dose response curves and correction factors), but I see it as another tool for planners and management. That won't justify the expense at many sites, but it was extremely beneficial for us.

TMI is a special case

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2021, 10:14 »
TMI is a special case

Special almost feels like an understatement. I'm kind of sad I'll be working ISFSI for the next year and won't get to jump aboard the TMI-2 work.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?