Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Dose value honeypot

Author Topic: Dose value  (Read 902 times)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Dose value
« on: Aug 12, 2021, 03:44 »
It has been awhile since I had a desire to know what a REM cost the industry. I remember it was $600 back in the 70s, then around $1500 circa 2000. What is it today?
Thanks in advance.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Dose value
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:08 »
This article from 1996 claims that it was $2,000 then, up from $1000. And talks about other limits used at INEL as well. ($10k, $60k)

http://health.phys.iit.edu/extended_archive/9603/msg00315.html

This article form Canada, in 1976, said it was $200, and shows their math.

http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/11/570/11570472.pdf

NUREG-1530 Reassessment of NRC's Dollar Per Person-Rem Conversion Factor Policy (December 1995)

Talks about the 'old' $1000, and 'new' $2000 (from NUREG/BR-0058, Revision 2, November 1995). And how it got there from the original range in 1974 of $10-$980. And had a lot of good history for anyone interested. The interesting part is the human capital method, versus the 'willingness to pay' method, hehehe  (page 18/28)

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0634/ML063470485.pdf

Below is a list of Reg guides referenced in the document above, and the values in them at that time.  I haven't see what the latest value is in them, but I provide them to get oyu started in the right direction.

Regulatory Guide 1.109 contains guidance on performing dose calculations and the use of $1000 per person-rem for the dollar valuation for radwaste system design alternatives for power reactors. Also, Regulatory Guide 8.37 suggests the use of $1000 per person-rem in determining ALARA levels for radiological effluent from materials facilities. NUREG-0933, 'A Prioritization of Generic Safety Issues" utilizes $1000 per person-rem in assigning priorities and resolving generic safety issues.

Bottom line, you can take the $2000 value, and apply a cost a living increase if you want to get a closer value for today.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?