Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21 Information [Merged]

Author Topic: STA-21 Information [Merged]  (Read 25446 times)

Jeveroettn

STA-21 Information [Merged]
« on: Oct 25, 2004, 03:24 »
Just a few questions about the STA-21 program:

I am shipping out Dec. 6.  I will be going through the nuclear pipeline.
Will being an ET, EM, MM for A school, NPS, etc. have any weight in me being picked up for STA-21? I plan to go nuclear officer, probably for subs.  Will the rating assigned to me in boot camp determine future job responsibilities as an officer?  My reasoning is, if I plan to go officer through STA-21, and the rating doesnt come in to play for chance of selection, chance of commissioning, would it be beneficial to go MM to have the shorter, less demanding training time?  Or should I go with my interests?  Would any one best prepare me to be a sub officer?

Also, what is the difference between an unrestricted line officer and a restricted line officer?  Which would I be if I were a submarine nuke officer?  Sorry for the unrelated question, I was just curious.

Thanks

cddistance

Re: STA-21 Information [Merged]
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2004, 02:58 »
When can I submit a STA-21 application?  During "A" school, after "A" school, during NPS?

Handgimp

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2004, 07:38 »
When can I submit a STA-21 application?  During "A" school, after "A" school, during NPS?

Depends on where you'll be next March, which is when NNPTC starts doing the next round of applications. I'll be at prototype, and so I'll be doing one through that command. I would have done one this year, but failed to educate myself on how long ACT scores are accepted until it was too late (until this October my most recent ACT was in 1997... now I not only have a valid score, it's higher than my old one (34, in case anyone cares)).

Handgimp

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2004, 07:43 »
Will the rating assigned to me in boot camp determine future job responsibilities as an officer?  My reasoning is, if I plan to go officer through STA-21, and the rating doesnt come in to play for chance of selection, chance of commissioning, would it be beneficial to go MM to have the shorter, less demanding training time?  Or should I go with my interests?

Since I'm in Power School right now, I -may- be able to satisfactorily answer this section of your question.  To the best of my knowledge, your rate will not affect selection into an officer program. MM A-School is 10 weeks shorter, but EM A-School was not difficult at all, and ET A-School isn't either (or so say my many ET friends). Just go with your interests. Power School will still be 24 weeks, regardless of rate.

CharlieRock

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2004, 06:53 »
No specific rate will stand you in better stead than any other, no matter the ETs say.  What really matters is your performance (sustained, superior performance) through the pipeline.  Its been pointed out on this board that most (though not all) STA-21 programs start the process around March.  So if you enter the pipeline in April, it might be a full year before you can apply.  Plenty of time to demonstrate of you can even hack the enlisted pipeline.

A restricted line officer is restricted in what/he or she can take command of and what billets he/she can hold.  An example of a restricted line officer is a Limited Duty Officer, who are not eligible for command of major combatants.  Most sub officers are unrestricted line officers.  The Supply Officer (Chop) is a staff officer in the Supply Corps.  There are now also some limited numbers of LDOs on board submarines.  If you go through a traditional commissioning path (USNA, ROTC< etc.) you will be commissioned as an unrestricted line officer unless you choose a staff officer community (supply, intel, medical)

sean.denny

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2004, 08:51 »
As someone who has been in the Navy for many years I think I can help.  They are looking for things that make you stand out from the pack on the STA-21 package.  In a school setting the way to do this is by taking on the class leadership positions.  You will also need a very strong performance in the classroom.  Another thing to keep in mind is that when you go into your interviews they are looking for answers that support the Navy's core values.  Work hard and good things will happen.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2004, 08:05 »
  In a school setting the way to do this is by taking on the class leadership positions.  You will also need a very strong performance in the classroom.  Another thing to keep in mind is that when you go into your interviews they are looking for answers that support the Navy's core values. 

While I agree with this excellent advice, let me get on my soapbox for a moment. If you support the highest standards that the Navy claims to hold, it will sometimes mean going against the norms.

For example, one Aviator Captain had on his Eval every year, "Never attended Tailhook". This was to block him from promotion because he wasn't supporting the largest annual gathering of Naval Aviators. After the investigations into all of the wrongdoings, the CNO (Admiral over the Navy in the Pentagon) and subsequent CNO lost their jobs BECAUSE they had been at the Tailhook Convention. Guess who got promoted the next year? Only one aviator made flag rank, and it was because of the "Never attended Tailhook".

I can't tell you I always did the right thing, but I have never regretted doing the right thing. It is better to be right than in the majority!
(And someday it may pay off for you!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

ELTsmag

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2004, 10:45 »
If your goal is to be a Nuc Officer, you should probably ask for EM or ET as that will get you plenty of time in the "box" (if you make it to prototype before hopefully getting picked up) and coordinating events in the box is the largest hurdle new officer students seem to stumble over.  If you can't coordinate things in there how will you ever have your thumb on the pulse of the entire engineroom and run it safely and efficiently?  By going ET or EM once you get to prototype you'll have some exposure to how things run in there and learn many of the conventions that a young officer should know without even thinking, that they often get hung up on.

If you go STA-21 you MUST be commisioned in the unrestricted line, it's a requirement of the program.  Only after commisioning will you be able to apply for a restricted field (Nurse, Medical, Engineering LDO -ie. Naval Reactors, Supply, maybe a few more but those are the biggest).  Restricted officers will never command a warship and don't fit your typical "officer" bill but due to their expertise and training qualify for officer pay.  Imagine trying to pay a doctor enlisted pay! 
However a doctor will never lead troops/sailors/marines into combat.

Starting from boot camp volunteer for every leadership position you possibly can, one usually begets another.  For instance, RCPO (highest leadership position available to recruits in boot camp, for Navy) will have a very easy time being designated Class Leader in "A" school and thus much easier getting class leader in NPS and thus easier getting Class Leader in Prototype, and when you put your package together, you have  a long list of leadership experience to set you apart from the thousands of other applicants, and is even more important because as a student you won't have any fleet performance record to fall back on.  Demonstrated Leadership POTENTIAL is what they look for, and the motivation to follow through with the STA-21 commitment.

If you have any questions email me at canty.13@osu.edu,
Respectfully,
OC Russell Canty
(MM2 ELT instructor on MTS-626 Charleston Prototype, Crew "E", selected for STA-21 starting school Fall 2003)

Jeveroettn

Losing my mind
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2004, 01:23 »
I have recently posted a few questions about nuke training, STA-21, etc, and am now wondering what to do.  Does anyone know what one must major in going the STA21 nuke route?  Does it have to be NucE or can it be Mechanical Engineering, or does it depend on your rate.  Wanting to enter the Navy as soon as possible I decided to go enlisted right out of high school rather than NROTC or USNA.  I have been talking to some of the accepted schools for STA21 nuke option, and being that I dont have any college credits, the course-load for a Nuke Engineering degree in three years is crazy.  18 credits some semesters.  I imagine these classes will be tougher than the classes at A school and NPS, being that it will cover more than just Naval issues.  I then thought about applying for USNA out of prototype, since schooling will be spread out over four years rather than three.  But then you dont get credit for time in service, and you dont get paid.  I am an overacheiver, I always try to succeed in everything I do, even if it means staying enlisted and going for master cheif.  Am I missing something?    I'm sure I can find alot of this out while in training but I hate going into something without covering all the bases.
Thanks

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Losing my mind
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2004, 03:42 »
There are a couple STA-21 specific Forum topics, please repost this to one of those. Thanks.

ETNuclearSailor

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2004, 05:49 »
I was just selected for FY05 STA 21. I just qualified Reactor Operator on the MARF plant in Ballston Spa, NY. I really can't say exactly what it was that put me over the top, but here is what I did:
I applied the first opportunity I had, which was during Nuclear Power School. By then I had finished 2/20 in A school, and went on to finish 38/280 in Power School. Maintaining a good record in training is also important, for example, do well on personnel inspections and barracks inspections. I scored subject honorman in one of my A school classes and was awarded the C.O.'s Personal Excellence Award in A school. I worked as section leader in Power School. I also worked hard outside of class, and I was awarded the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal at the end of Power School (during the graduation ceremony). I had an unusually high eval out of power school with a Must Promote.
The personal statement, interview, and ACT/SAT scores are vital. I had a combined ACT score of 63 (minimum for STA 21 is combined 50).
I don't think rating is as important as doing your best in whatever field you get.

ETNuclearSailor

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2004, 05:56 »
I'll echo handgimp, you can apply at anytime in your career, but the application process is only once a year. If you arrive at NNPTC in June or something (like I did), consider yourself boned. I did land up waiting a year, but I was accepted this cycle, two days after qualifying at prototype. If you think STA 21 will get you out of the pipeline early, well, take it from me, it doesn't.

Handgimp

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2004, 03:41 »
The personal statement, interview, and ACT/SAT scores are vital. I had a combined ACT score of 63 (minimum for STA 21 is combined 50).
I don't think rating is as important as doing your best in whatever field you get.

When you say combined ACT score, do you mean the sum of Math and Science?

ETNuclearSailor

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2004, 03:51 »
I mean combined Math and Verbal. Science and reading comprehension are ignored.

digitrixster

« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:29 »
I hope you like cold weather, man. December's a cold, cold time of year to be in northern Illinois! Anyway, I might see you out there since I ship out Dec. 9. ;) Your STA-21 situation is a lot like mine. All I can say is never take "I don't know" for an answer. Have a good one...

brequan

« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2004, 09:30 »
Also, for STA-21 applications you have to keep in mind that the only times you can apply for the nuke officer option is when you are assigned to one of the training commands, be it staff or student assignment. The nuke officer option is the main source of enlisted nuke to officer programs, any other options you don't have the advantage you do over other people applying. I am in the same ACT score boat, I thought my scores were valid but they weren't. I am still going to apply but in March I will be in the fleet, unless I get picked up for ELT (hope so).

cave_dog42

« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2004, 03:13 »
I was wondering what the odds are of getting into STA-21 for something other than nuke officer. Will being in the nuke program increase my chances of getting in?  I'm not counting on being an officer, i know what I signed up for and I am prepared to do it but I would like to go officer if possible.

ETNuclearSailor

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2004, 03:39 »
The thing about being a nuke applying for any other officer community via STA-21 is this: you lose your advantage as a student. As a student, you'll be competing against established personnel in the fleet. You have to try to get your academic record to somehow outshine a warefare qualified sailor with cruises and possibly some NAM's under his/her belt. It has been done, but it is rare. I know of roughly 4 nukes accepted to non-nuclear STA21 options. There are 70 STA 21 nukes going up this year.
If you apply from the fleet, you will have all of the benefits of being an experienced sailor AND from being a nuke.
The short answer is: you're disadvantaged applying from school but on top if applying from the fleet. Of course, if your goal is a commission, then be the best sailor you can during your entire experience.

cave_dog42

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2004, 03:54 »
Thank you ETNuclearSailor. I have no problem going into the fleet before getting into STA-21. I might actually prefer it so I can experience both sides of the Navy, enlisted and commissioned. I think it might build better leadership skills. Right now I am planning to go career in the Navy (I know I wont make that choice until I actually get through boot and the schools and get into the fleet and get some experience).

AP

« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2005, 07:46 »
Can someone help me out, I am currently waiting to ship in January for the nuke program and I am looking at becoming a nuclear officer while enlisted but I want experience in the fleet before I apply to sta-21.  Can a navy nuke apply for sta-21 under the nuke option while in the fleet or can you only apply while enrolled in the nuke school or instructing there.  I guess I am just confused on the wording of the sta-21 program with the nuclear option.

shayne

« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2005, 12:14 »
Unless it changed, there was a few nuclear mechanics on the ship with me that was picked up for the seaman to admiral program.  So I believe it is possible.

blackwater

« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2005, 02:15 »
Can someone help me out, I am currently waiting to ship in January for the nuke program and I am looking at becoming a nuclear officer while enlisted but I want experience in the fleet before I apply to sta-21.  Can a navy nuke apply for sta-21 under the nuke option while in the fleet or can you only apply while enrolled in the nuke school or instructing there.  I guess I am just confused on the wording of the sta-21 program with the nuclear option.

Sta-21 is designed for sailors in the fleet who have experience. The "nuclear option" means that those sailors in the pipeline (who have not been out to sea) are eligible. So if you are looking to become a nuc office then apply while in the pipeline. When you are at sea, as a nuke, you can still apply for STA but not for the nuc option.

TheEngineer

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2005, 08:55 »
Greetings everyone... I am currently in STA-21 in my senior year at Oregon State University (studying nuclear engineering), and would like to address a few general issues:

Technical ratings (EM, ET, MM) have no weight on whether or not you get picked up. I was an EM, but that didn't matter. You can start applying in NPS, and the application cycle starts in March and ends in June. Results come out in October-ish. What DOES affect if you get picked up are your rankings by a.) your commanding officer and b.) the officer interview board. Your CAPT will write a letter of recommendation about you based on your performance at your command compared to other applicants. You will also be interviewed by a panel of 3 officers LT and above. They will rank you too. You will also write an essay and provide pipeline/high school/ college (if you have college exp.) transcripts. There are several other aspects to the application, too.

Only students/staff of the nuclear pipeline can apply for the STA-21 nuclear option. Applying for the nuclear option greatly increases your chances of getting picked up, since the STA-21 program was partly made to help stock the fleets dwindling supply of nuclear SUBMARINE officers. Fleet guys have to apply for the core option, and then get accepted into the nuclear option once in college. All future nuke officers have to go to a technical interview at Naval Reactors in Washington D.C. your junior year. I just went there this past summer. You'll get interviewed by 2 NR engineers and the director of naval nuclear propulsion (it was ADM Bowman, now it's ADM Donalds.) If you're an engineer, the NR guys will ask you engineering stuff. If not, you'll get asked calculus and physics questions (because all naval officers take that stuff.)

Hope this helps...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?