Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu San Diego Information [Merged]

Author Topic: San Diego Information [Merged]  (Read 4720 times)

bigjer25

San Diego Information [Merged]
« on: Oct 07, 2004, 07:50 »
I am trying to get stationed in San diego.  I have noticed that the housing is a hell of alot more expensive out there than it is in kansas (where i live now.)  My rank will be O-1E, which gets me about $1800 a month BAH.  Is that enough for me and my family to live in a decent sized (3 or 4 BR) house?  And also any advice on where to live?  I have been out there 1 month TAD before so I am somewhat familiar with the area.  Is the traffic horribly bad trying to get to base at 32nd st?  Thanks for the input.

kegler

Re: San Diego Information [Merged]
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2004, 12:49 »
I currently live in San Diego and used to work for Puget Sound Naval Shipyard on Coronado Island and Pt Loma. Traffic is a challenge at rush hour. For $1800 you will have to commute unless you are the luckiest man on the planet. I commuted 35 miles one way in order to get something decent I could afford to rent. 32nd street is bad, but not nearly as bad as NASNI on Coronado Island. Look at living in the La Mesa /El Cajon/Rancho San Diego area if you want the best price/commute option. Try to find a place off of highway 94. If you are more interested in a superb school district and are willing to deal with the commute from hell, look into the Poway/Rancho Bernardo area on the I-15 corridor (which is where I live). The Poway school district and Rancho Bernardo High School is ranked in the top 10 in the state. It is a little more expensive though. Don't even concider anything within the immediate 15 miles... outhouses go for well over $500,000. The only places close that are even close to affordable are Chula Vista and National City which are not fit for normal human beings (gangs, crime, drugs, etc)... bad, bad area for a family... unless your last name is Gotti. Hope this helps.  8)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2004, 12:51 by kegler »

bigjer25

Re: San Diego Information [Merged]
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2004, 11:59 »
I need to know where to put my family when I move out to San diego.  I am interested in both where I should live and where to aviod.  Any advice is appreciated.  I will be O-1E, so the BAH is about $1800.  thanks.

Jeremy

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?