Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)  

Author Topic: Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)  (Read 82616 times)

RCLCPO

Re: Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)
« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2004, 05:53 »
If you're in doubt about anything, ask.

Not only have I been a Navy Nuke for almost 20 years, I am currently a NukeField Recruiter.  Also, check out our website:

www.cnrc.navy.mil/nucfield

Be informed!

tjm807

« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2004, 04:26 »

For surface boats, all people below E-5 must live onboard the ship.  Well, they can live off the ship but the Navy will not give them a housing allowance.  All, submariners get barracks (but you don't care about that).

I am an active duty carrier nuke MM/ELT. I dont know how long ago it has changed but E-5 and above can live off the ship AND get housing allowance. I know this is how it is on the Stennis CVN-74. I am quite sure it is not just a ship by ship thing.

As far as the CASH program I have found a good link via www.military.com that led me to a link on how to apply to the CASH program.

One bit of advice.... Dont believe ANYTHING your recruiter says. Im sorry if I offended any previous recruiters in here but it is the best way to protect yourself. Have anything they tell you you will get be put in WRITING ON YOUR CONTRACT. At boot camp the way to make your RDC (recruit division commander) laugh is to tell them that you were supposed to get this or that because that is what your recuiter told you. They will say "you believed your recruiter?!?!" and proceed to laugh in your face.

I enjoy what I do and the navy has helped me proceed in life. But soon it is time to move on.

Good luck and study hard in school and dont data dump between power school and prototype!

tjm807

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2004, 04:48 »

RCLCPO

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2004, 06:44 »
Yes, the CASH program is alive and well.  Have your recruiter show you chapter 3U of the recruiting manual.  If he is unwilling, go to your recruiting district's Advanced Programs Coordinator.  If that fails, let me know, and I'll fax you a copy.

A couple of things to keep in mind: those with a college degree need not apply, and those whose high school gpa is less than about a 3.2 will not be accepted.  Some information is available under the enlisted scholarships button at the Navy Nuclear Power website:  www.cnrc.navy.mil/nucfield

The typical Navy recruiter is not nuclear trained, and therefore does not know the correct answers to every question.  This is why the Navy has a Nuke in most of the Advanced Programs Coordinator posts.  We are here to answer your questions.

For those previous Nuclear Field recruiters out there, the new change 22 to the CRUITMAN changes a lot of stuff.  General advice is good, but be careful about specifics, as things are indeed changing.

If you send me a question, I will answer it.  You may not like the answer, but it will be the truth per the regulations at the time of your question.

Nuke1_port@cnrc.navy.mil

Formernuke

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2004, 06:53 »
I am a formernuke which i think makes me qualify to answer your questions.  If you have a college degree, forget about enlisting unless you like to strip and wax floors, paint, and sweep and mop.  You see the navy does not have janitors so they fall to the enlisted.  The only option that i give advice on is to enter as an officer.  I was stationed on a Carrier which if you are female will also be stationed on.  I beleive that Reactor department was the lowest on morale of the whole ship with good reason.... the job sucks.  So in short use your investment that you made in education and try for an officer commision, they don't have to clean, eat better food and get paid better.  Its a whole different life between enlisted and officer.  The only way to go is officer!.

RCLCPO

« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2004, 11:09 »
There are disgruntled employees in every profession.

One thing about multiple sources of information:  consider the source.

If you'd like to know, contact me via e-mail and I'll send you my fax number, so you can send me your transcripts (high school and college) and I'll let you know if you're even eligible for an officer program (just getting a degree doesn't make you eligible).  There are differences between the enlisted and officer communities, and, if you're eligible for both, you should know the details before making a decision.  I have had people with an MS degree prefer the enlisted side of the equation.

Get the details from a fair and balanced source--not from a recruiter and not from someone who hated their Navy experience.  I have no problem sharing the good along with the bad and the ugly, when it comes to providing information.  There are positives and negatives with every job, Navy included.

damad1

« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2004, 11:39 »
You can say "consider the source" but let me open up the door a bit more. I was a Nuke MM, and I was pretty successful, was staff at prototype, made E-6 in 5 years, was a M-div LPO, and went my 8 years without committing a FUBAR!

I would totally agree with FormerNuke, Reactor Dept had the lowest morale on the ships I served on PERIOD!  I was fortunate enough to do my final 2 years on a CGN before we decomed her, and life and morale was a bit better, but carriers are the model of "Crap Holes"! It usually affected the snipes (Nukes in engineering) because we had to shift our schedules around the air crew, and pick up extra duties because someone had their own agenda to push, so they volunteered us as there sacrificail annodes.

My opinion, and this is an opinion, but tthe Navy has been lowering their standards for years now, are asking too much of the good workers, and allowing the poor workers to maintain their mediocraty (I think I spelled it correctly?), while forcing good nukes to pick up the slack. The end result, the good guys get out while the poor ones stay in because they feel "Protected" by the system.

The leadership has followed suit also, becoming less technical and more political. End result, true leaders can't advance because they aren't politicians, while the sluggos make advancement (particularly true in the E-7 through E-9 ranks, and officer positions). the best CPO I ever worked for was a 20 year E-7, and couldn't go higher because he didn't have a problem telling someone in the upper chain they were wrong.

On the flip side, I made some great friends, got some good bar room stories that I can add lies to for the next 40 years to make them even better, and I got some good training.

The best source of info is the guy who is an E-4 or E-5, right from the deck plate. Higher ranks tend to forget some of the BS that the ordinary rag hat has to deal with.

RCLCPO

« Reply #32 on: Jul 14, 2004, 01:46 »
One of my limitations is that I have never set foot on a carrier.  That is why I cannot comment about condions on board.

I will say that I spent 10 years as an E6 before I made Chief, mostly due to the fact that I'd rather keep my self respect than cave in to the idiot I worked for.

There's "dead wood" in every profession, and at least in the sub fleet, the Navy philosophy of "perform to serve" was given attention.  I have seen slackers re-enlist for E5 and $45K bonus, because they knew they'd never be able to hold a job on the outside and the command needed the "retention" credit.  I have also seen, on a different boat, not only an enlisted man but also a LTjg get denied permission to stay in the Navy because of their work ethic.  It all depends on the chain of command.  A lot depends on the Chief in charge of the division, too.  I've worked for some great Chiefs, some OK Chiefs, and some who were morons or a-holes (or both).  I've been places (the USS Topeka) where morale was in the basement and work wasn't much fun.  I've also been places (the USS Chicago) where morale was very high and life was great.

The Navy is just a microcosm of all the other high-tech places to work.  In my 20 years, I've seen more good times than bad, but the bad times seem to stick in one's memory more than the good times.  The key to balanced hindsite is being fair, and remembering the good times too.

I'm trying to make contact with someone I know out in the carrier fleet.  I'm hoping to provide someone from the deckplates to balance this discussion, as I have no personal carrier experience.

Beta_effect

« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2004, 04:03 »
It is not up to you to determine whether or not you are qualified for an Officer's program. I would strongly suggest that you apply and not sell yourself short. Also do not necessarily limit yourself to just the nuke field. There are plenty of opportunities out there in the military and it would be unwise to limit yourself based upon how you perceive yourself. You are always better than you think...don't dwell on any weakness-concentrate on your strengths...

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Jul 17, 2004, 12:56 »
I went into the Navy while in my mid 20s. As a civilian in my early 20s I did some incredibly stupid things. I needed 3 waivers to get into the nuke program, every school I went to told me I was on the bubble because of my waivers, yet when I finally got through NPS and Prototype it was never mentioned again. Heck I even got into Special Projects with Security Clearances that have classified names!

Just remember, it's totally up to you, keep your nose clean and the waivers won't matter!.

If you need any advice please email me at ferm2@msn.com

Be safe

Mike

RCLCPO

« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2004, 12:02 »
For carrier life questions, go to the source:

Nuclear Senior Chief Machinists Mate Rick Niemeyer, on the carrier Vinson:

RNIEMEYE@VINSON.NAVY.MIL

You may not like his answers to your questions, but they'll be the real deal.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2004, 12:30 »
It is not up to you to determine whether or not you are qualified for an Officer's program. I would strongly suggest that you apply and not sell yourself short. Also do not necessarily limit yourself to just the nuke field. There are plenty of opportunities out there in the military and it would be unwise to limit yourself based upon how you perceive yourself. You are always better than you think...don't dwell on any weakness-concentrate on your strengths...

You're right, but if the officer recruiter doesn't think your stats are competitive (I've been told anything less than a 3.6 GPA is not gonna cut it right now), you won't be able to even attempt to apply. 

Beta_effect

« Reply #37 on: Jul 21, 2004, 06:12 »
The recommendation to go through the process for an officer's program still stands. Let them tell you officially that you do not meet the requirements. Look at all of the services if you have the time. If you are in a bind for money this minute, my suggestion to you is get on with one of the RAT companies as a Junior HP or Deconner until you can figure things out. Taking a little time off may not be a bad idea. I think I might get a opinion from another recruiter-there is at least one that posts to this board. Someone suggested that you contact a Senior Chief-I think that is a good idea-get the straight scoop directly from the fleet.

I can tell you that if your GPA was low due to you not putting in the effort in College you may be in trouble as an enlisted in the nuke program. It takes a lot of hard work and self motivation. Having a degree will not necessarily make it any easier. There are some distinct negatives if you wash out of the program. I hope it works out for you!
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2004, 06:15 by Beta_effect »

Formernuke

« Reply #38 on: Jul 21, 2004, 07:10 »
     I concur,  My experience in the nuke program may not relate to you but here goes.  Motivation and self-determination are the key.  My asvab score was one of the lowest of my class (75).  I am Hispanic and being the only minority gave me some added motivation.  I have the distinct impression that all my supervisors thought I would perform poorly at nuke school.  I slept only 5 hours a day studying and going to classes but it paid off.  Meanwhile other students with high asvabs (99) were falling by the wayside and in some cases were quitely let off.  I graduated in the top 30 percentile and was highly motivated when I left Nuke school. I  Really wanted to go to some officer programs until I got stationed on a Carrier but thats another story.

If you have a degree, don't let the recruiters dazzle you with the nuke school prestige.  The Air force and Army should have some other officer programs If the NAVY won't appreciate you.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2004, 08:35 »
Beta and Former,
I appreciate the advice, but maybe I should have been a little clearer.  I don't want to be an officer at this time.  If I was looking to make the Navy my career, then yes I would pursue this avenue.   For my present needs and future goals, enlisting is the best option.  I'm looking to get three things out of the Navy:  serve my country, pay off school loans, and put away some serious dough for grad school or pharmacy school.  Plus going Nuke has the added benefit of having the track record of putting so many former Nukes into med school/pharmacy school/nursing school.

I look forward to the challenge that Navy Nuke will provide.  I am quite aware that it will not be easy ... I have done my research by talking to former and current Nukes.  I'm ready for something new and different :)
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2004, 08:38 by jeepgirl1 »

boyofcows2

« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2004, 01:31 »
jeepgirl1,

As far as life aboard ship goes...forget about what everyone tells you...it doesn't matter.  Everything in life is what you make of it, and the Nuke Navy is no different.  The advice that I will give is as follows:
Do the Nuke thing---there will be times that you will absolutely hate it, you will question what you were thinking, etc.  In the end, it will pay large dividends.
Keep your nose to the grind stone.  The program is not difficult if you stay out of trouble.  If you don't think that trouble will present itself (especially for a young lady outnumbered by young men), you are fooling yourself.
Having said that, enjoy your time as much as possible!  I'm sure that I speak for all of us that are serving and all of us that have served, thank you for carrying on the tradition of doing your part to defend our great nation!

l2aider1

« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2004, 10:59 »
Hey all,
        I posted on this site a few months ago about a month before I was scheduled to go to boot camp.  I also scored a 99 on the asvab and didn't have to take any secondary tests.  I just got out of boot camp and arrived at NNPTC 3 days ago!!!  The campus is awesome everything is new and the people are friendly.   The atmosphere is much more laid back compared to boot camp.  It feels like I'm on vacation.  Good luck at boot camp Adidas I remember talking to you in may about the nuke program.  I got ET after all but let me tell you everyone at nuke school loves to bash ETs =(.  Lucky for me I left in may and was able to get the 12$ sign on bonus.  I will keep you informed on how 'A' school is.
                                                                                 - SN Mike Greene

Korn_doll

« Reply #42 on: Oct 04, 2004, 03:46 »
Can anyone tell me what sorts of things are on the Nuke test? I'm taking it tomorrow and would like to know. I've got basic physics down and a little bit on electricity and whatnot. Thanks.

RCLCPO

« Reply #43 on: Oct 04, 2004, 05:03 »
The Navy's Advanced Programs Test (NAPT), what is known as the "Nuke Test", is an 80 question exam.  The time limit is 2 hours, and it's 50 math questions, 15 basic chemistry and 15 basic physics questions.  The only authorized study guide for the exam is the Navy correspondence course Mathematics Volume 1.

RCLCPO

« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2005, 05:38 »
Regarding the CASH program:

On 01 January of this year, the CASH program was put on hold.  It's not officially dead, just in a coma.  Those folks already in the program are still in the program, and their contracts are still valid.  No one else, though, will be able to apply to the program until it is revived or replaced.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #45 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:26 »
RCLCPO,

That's a shame :(.  Is there an "unofficial" reason for why the program was suspended?  Are the odds fairly great that it will be reinstated in its present state or some reincarnation?

MMCIcebergDX

« Reply #46 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:20 »
I dont know about any official reason, but I know that the program cost us 3 nuke wanna be's because they failed College Calculus courses, and then were ruled to be ineligible for the Nuclear field by CNRC.  I dont know if that was a problem just in our area, or if that happened in other areas too.  As a matter of fact, the 2 kids I have in cash were the last 2 that they accepted applications from, and the last 2 approved.

js.park

« Reply #47 on: Sep 11, 2005, 08:58 »
Hello, Everyone: 

First of all I just want to thank everyone ahead of time before any post or made or anything is said. I have been scanning these forums for about 3 weeks now and I have pulled alot of valuable information out of it. My name is Joseph(Joe) Park.  I in the same position as alot of people, I screwed around in schooled didn't do so hot, but academically sound to begin with. 1500's SATS, have a AA in Recording Arts Engineering, and such. I nailed the ASVAB and was recommended into nuke. 

Now I guess on to my questions.   

1) I am deeply rooted in my family. At least my mother, she has worked 24/365/7 for the past 10 years so that I could have a good opportunity in life. My father is a deadbeat and I want to make sure that I would be able to keep in good contact with her. How difficult is that in reality? Better on a sub or a carrier? How much time do you spend out in sea. The contract is 6 years, 2 in school and 4 serving. How much of that 4 is in sea. What is shore duty really like and where are shore duty stations? 

2.) I am only 21 years of age but I have been with someone very special to me now for 4 years. I don't know if she is the right woman for me but I am unsure how a joining the navy would affect that relationship. Would I be able to see her? If so how often.  How is communication with everyone on a submarine or a boat. Again I guess this is similar to question 1. 

3.) I am a US citizen but my family is from South Korea. Neither of them are citizens. I have heard many things about the armed services and minorities and how in the end treatment is different. I am not saying the military is racist but I do tend to hear stories that it is. I was hoping anyone in recently could make a comment. 

4.) I guess in the end I was hoping people would chime in their opinion about Navy nuke. Especially minorities.   

Thank you again everyone
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2005, 09:02 by js.park »

BuddyThePug

« Reply #48 on: Sep 11, 2005, 11:40 »
Lots of your questions are already answered in  Re: questions about nuke program?  and other threads

js.park

« Reply #49 on: Sep 12, 2005, 12:14 »
I have read that thread and the questions are similar none of them are really answered. I guess in actuallity the only real concern I have is my family(gf included). I want to make sure that I can still be there for them when they need me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?