Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP) honeypot

Author Topic: Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)  (Read 82628 times)

Itzhakway

Re: Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)
« Reply #100 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:28 »
After the ASVAB I’m supposed to be interviewed. Assuming I’ll score high enough, I’ll ask for Nuke Program. Can you tell me what to expect in the interview?

Thanks.

DJM75

« Reply #101 on: Dec 24, 2006, 12:58 »
If I remeber correctly that they just ask what you like to do.  To try and see what kind of job you would like.  But don't worry if you score high enough and show interest in the Nuke field you'll get it.  There is another test you have to take to become a Nuke.  the NFQT.  Nuke Field Qualifying test.  It has more in depth math and science questions.
  Don

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #102 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:15 »
If your grades are high enough on the ASVAB (or the NFQT (Nuke test) if required) the interview is basically to let you know it is a challenging program. A little clarification about the classes you have taken (and explanations of poor grades if applicable) and discussion of illegal drugs will probably be the focus.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

drs0ger

questions about navy nuke
« Reply #103 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:04 »

Hello  I took the AFQT and qualified for nuke, but I have no idea if it is what I wont to do, but am most likely going to do it anyway, next Friday . I have taken my physical but have not signed the (contract) yet  I hear you can get f***ed  and become non(need of navy) ez if you mess up, or get ripped off with the sign-on  bonuses
Q.1 what should I look for and  elc

Next Can any 1 in the program or has been throw the program help.  I have been reading this site for a couple of days now and I   don’t know some stuff that I would like to know.

First off  let me say some problems I face,

1 my hand righting sucks  I can barley read it  so Q.2  can I use a laptop in class? (I hear you cant take notes out side of class)  how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?

Yes I know that 2 questions

2 my spelling sucks, I HATED taking notes in high school and normally only memorized the subject to pass  witch is ezer for me then most others,  like on  notebook tests, I wouldn’t  use any notes (normally because I couldn’t read them,) but I had no trouble passing most classes with 80+, and if I had trouble( like with teachers that wanted text book answers-ie word for word in the notes they put on the board)  I would get copies of notes from friends  (((HELL I had to use Microsoft word and spell check to right this)))   Q.2 is these a problem?

Other questions   1 I have a car    Q.A wall I have time to bring it down (I hear they may do it for me?) Q.b how useful well it be like, well I have a place to put it and is it necessary to get to school
    And last any problems I wall most likely face ?

------------For those who don’t wont to read start here The Abridged version

Q.1, what should I look for in the contract to not get f***ed  elc?
Q.2, can I use a laptop in class? how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?
   Q.3or4, is bad really bad  spelling / hand righting  a problem ?
   Q.5and6, my car well it be of help ?
   Q.7 any problems I wall most likely face?

Thank you  my email is    drs0ger@yahoo.com  try to make any email you send me not sound like spam I have a bad habit of deleting good email that way  thank you for your time.

Rad Sponge

Re: questions about navy nuke
« Reply #104 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:57 »
Hello  I took the AFQT and qualified for nuke, but I have no idea if it is what I wont to do, but am most likely going to do it anyway, next Friday . I have taken my physical but have not signed the (contract) yet  I hear you can get f***ed  and become non(need of navy) ez if you mess up, or get ripped off with the sign-on  bonuses
Q.1 what should I look for and  elc

Next Can any 1 in the program or has been throw the program help.  I have been reading this site for a couple of days now and I   don’t know some stuff that I would like to know.

First off  let me say some problems I face,

1 my hand righting sucks  I can barley read it  so Q.2  can I use a laptop in class? (I hear you cant take notes out side of class)  how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?

Yes I know that 2 questions

2 my spelling sucks, I HATED taking notes in high school and normally only memorized the subject to pass  witch is ezer for me then most others,  like on  notebook tests, I wouldn’t  use any notes (normally because I couldn’t read them,) but I had no trouble passing most classes with 80+, and if I had trouble( like with teachers that wanted text book answers-ie word for word in the notes they put on the board)  I would get copies of notes from friends  (((HELL I had to use Microsoft word and spell check to right this)))   Q.2 is these a problem?

Other questions   1 I have a car    Q.A wall I have time to bring it down (I hear they may do it for me?) Q.b how useful well it be like, well I have a place to put it and is it necessary to get to school
    And last any problems I wall most likely face ?

------------For those who don’t wont to read start here The Abridged version

Q.1, what should I look for in the contract to not get f***ed  elc?
Q.2, can I use a laptop in class? how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?
   Q.3or4, is bad really bad  spelling / hand righting  a problem ?
   Q.5and6, my car well it be of help ?
   Q.7 any problems I wall most likely face?

Thank you  my email is    drs0ger@yahoo.com  try to make any email you send me not sound like spam I have a bad habit of deleting good email that way  thank you for your time.

All right, I will field this and be as direct and blunt as possible. I am not aiming to insult you, though.

Q1: Read the contract very carefully.

Q2: No, no laptops. Most lesson plans are presented in an ordered fashion via lecture or computer based training. You will be WRITING down the notes.

Q3: Your spelling is horrible, your grammar is horrible. It makes you look stupid. You can still make it through the program, but...

Q5: A car will be useful. You will be able to bring your auto on base after a few weeks, but I am unsure of the exact policy. A car is nearly an absolute necessity at prototype.

Q7: See the other million threads addressing life in the program.

Get a better WORD spell check program.

Rifleman

« Reply #105 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:50 »
Q.1  Read it, especially the parts about what is required to get your bonus, when you have to extend your enlistment to be in the Nuc program and the like.  If you don't understand something... Make the LT. explain it to you.  the Recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, the Lt. will have a much more difficult time stretching the truth.

Q.2  Yes, if you don't meet the requirements of the program you can be dropped from it.  At any time for a BUNCH of reasons.  Medical disqualification (red green color blindness got a bunch of people in my class), disciplinary disqualification... too many speeding tickets, not showing up for class, UA (navy version of AWOL).  Art. 92 of the UCMJ, "failure to follow a direct order"...  Academic disqualification... failing tests, boards, exams... Understand they aren't out to just drop people, they need people, but if you don't toe the line, you will be doing something else.  If it is a problem the navy has (i.e. medical disqualification they didn't catch until after the contract was signed) they have to offer you something else, or out if you want out.  If it's a problem you have (i.e. discipline or academic) they can assign you to what ever they need.  Next to Navy Seals, the Nuc program has the highest attrition rate of any program in the navy.

Q.3  They have to read what you write on the tests, they will work at it, but if they can't tell what it is you are trying to communicate... then the answer is wrong.  No laptops in class, most if not all of the material is Classified, you can't even removed your notes or any other information from the buildings/site.

Q.4  POV transportation helps if you are assigned to the shore based prototypes, they didn't have any of the NPTU Charleston S.C. or NPTU Kings Bay GA when I was in.  I drove my motorcycle in upstate New York for a year... talk about stupid.

Q.5  Attitude and Perseverance... you are going to run into jag bags that are going to piss you off and are in a position to make your life miserable... not everyone mind you, but there will be a few and they will give you reason to mess with their medical record...  If you can say, "When I'm master chief I'm sure as hell not going to run my division like this" and keep your eye on the goal... you will make it, if you give up, you're done.  The one I used to use all the time (and this was during the cold war) was, "good thing we are fighting the Red Stink together, cuz if it was me vs. you... I'd have to kick your azz".

Itzhakway

« Reply #106 on: Jan 04, 2007, 06:17 »
I’m about to go for the ASVAB, but I first need to hand over the security questioner. I am aiming for the Nuclear Program, which require high security clearance. In the past few years I have used marijuana on several occasions with some friends. I am not regular user and definitely not an addict. Haven't used it for quite long time. I have not used any other illegal drugs. I am concern that if I’ll disclose that on the security questioner, I’ll be kicked out. Any suggestions?

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #107 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:15 »
I’m about to go for the ASVAB, but I first need to hand over the security questioner. I am aiming for the Nuclear Program, which require high security clearance. In the past few years I have used marijuana on several occasions with some friends. I am not regular user and definitely not an addict. Haven't used it for quite long time. I have not used any other illegal drugs. I am concern that if I’ll disclose that on the security questioner, I’ll be kicked out. Any suggestions?

...imagine the suffering in the decades ahead if you lie and are not discovered and then imagine the elation if you are tactfully candid and accepted...

M1Ark

« Reply #108 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:38 »
Exams are in essay format and I have seen numerous people get lower grades than their actual knowledge level due to their lack of ability to express their thoughts.  This is quite a handicap for someone entering the program that is already one of the toughest to pass.  NFQT and the ASVAB were multiple choice and fill in the blank.  Nuclear Power School is nothing like it.

You can pass.  But I definately would consider what-if scenarios since you appear to be at-risk based on what I read from your first post.

M1Ark

drs0ger

« Reply #109 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:47 »
Lol   I just read my last post dam! my grammars bad!
 I was tired when I wrought it but dam.

Thank you all for your help and sar you had to read that lol, I needed sleep badly lol  I know its not funny I worked all day and I felt like time was running out so I posted that and  got like 20 email’s telling me to get a better  spell-check.  lol I don’t blame them  but it did help me with getting info I needed, and I still need some ! but most of my Q’s have been answered and I thought I would post a apology to any 1 ?board? anof to read it all, and helpful anof you reply  even if you only had to say( learn how to spell x100times – you know who you are and it was funny )  lol  after all it is something I need to work harder on, I try but apparently not anof  any more help you can give me  my email is drs0ger@yahoo.com
agen  try to make any email you send me not sound like spam I have a bad habit of deleting good email that way  thank you for your time.

ps i if i havent re emailed you ill get u 2maro i have like 20+more to do its 15 to 1am here and i get up at 8
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2007, 02:49 by drs0ger »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #110 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:59 »

ps i if i havent re emailed you ill get u 2maro i have like 20+more to do its 15 to 1am here and i get up at 8

It is not unusual for the nuclear plant enlisted men to work hard for 8 hrs doing plant maintentance, catch 4 hrs sleep, and then be REQUIRED to operate their watchstation in a 100% defect-free manner. 

Spelling and grammar require much less attention to detail than operating a nuclear power plant. Clear communication is necessary for running the plant, and to give others the information that they need. Getting bad information because the logs were in some sort of '733t hAx0r' MySpace gibberish could hazard the plant, the vessel, or shipmates lives.

The AFQT exam is to determine the minimum aptitude necessary to get IN to the program. It is not a predictor of success. Every single one of the countless Nuclear-designated sailors that became 'nuclear waste', i.e. washed out at boot camp, A school, NPS , prototype and the fleet had ALL previously passed the AFQT to get in. Many of those washouts put in 40-60 hours AFTER class each week to valiantly try to learn enough to make it.

It's nothing personal, if anything the public school system let you down by not applying sufficient academic rigor to build skills. They simply need to push warm bodies out. And the recruiters need a warm body to come in, so there you are. It doesn't mean that the nuclear fleet is a good match for you, nor are you automatically a good match for the nuclear fleet.

If you do truly value the time that the other posters on this thread have spent, please don't reply asking for more help. Go back and read their postings for comprehension, and review the other threads that have already covered your posted questions.

Probably the only question(s) that really still need to be answered in your mind are: Does the harsh and complex life of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program REALLY fit in your life plans, AND will you be a valuable asset to the Fleet? Both are important. If the answer to either is "no", there is no shame in that, and there are many success paths in life, some of which might still see you working in the power industry in the future. But not this program.

Do keep in mind, the fleet isn't amateur hour, and the lack  of diligence on one sailor's part, can injure and kill others.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

ender17

« Reply #111 on: Jan 13, 2007, 04:21 »
Ye would be by far not the first nuke to have done pot before he/she joined.  Waivers are a wonderful thing.  I have two.  One for once having asthma, and a second because I had once volunteered to see a shrink.

knyles34

Question about the test
« Reply #112 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:50 »

I recently found out that I didn't get the score I needed on the nuke test.  I don't think I missed it by that much but my recruiter didn't tell me my score.  Is there any way I can retake the test, is there a time limit or some sort of waiver.  Being a part of the Navy is a big deal to me and I really want to be in the nuke program.  My anxiety over the ramifications the test held over my future got to me.  I would appreciate if anyone had an answer or some advice.

thanks

Draonc

Nuclear ET
« Reply #113 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:10 »
Hi I am thinking about going Nuclear. The only problem is I don't know much about the program. My recruitor is trying to talk me in to being a Nuclear ET but neither on of us knows much about it. Before I finally make the decision I need to know more about the job.

As of right now I am an ET but in a few days I will go to take my Nuclear test and I need some info before I do this.

Draonc

Re: Question about the test
« Reply #114 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:12 »
My recruitor told me that you only get one chance to pass the test but I don't know.
I am going to take the test soon I hope I pass it. Do you have any advice on what to study it would be appreciated.

shayne

Re: Nuclear ET
« Reply #115 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:22 »
Unless things have changed recently, once you qualify for the nuclear program, you will just be another nuclear field candidate.  After weeks in Basic Training will you find out what rate you are, either MM, EM, or ET.  Consider that fact that you could be an Mechanical Operator (MM), Electrical Operator (EM), or an Reactor Operator (ET).  The MM, EM jobs in the Regular Navy are just about the same as the Nuclear Qualified with the execption of the heat source.  MMs will operate and perform maintenance on the steam plant/turbines and auxiliaries equipment such as Air conditioning systems, distilling units, air compressors, etc.  EM will operate and perform maintenace the electrical systems (Generators, Motors, and Medium and Low Voltage distribution systems). Navy ET jobs are so specific to a particuliar Navy Classification (NEC) that it couldn't really compare to the nuclear field.  The ETs operate the reactor and perform maintenance on the reactor plant control systems. 

Offline MM1 subnuke

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Nuclear ET
« Reply #116 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:17 »
I am a recruiter out of houston, and also a nuke mm1.  I had to take the test when i came into the navy.  I made an 89 on my asvab.  If you have a strong background in math and science you should be fine.  Worst case scenario, you fail.  You can take the test again.  The options that this program will open for you are vast.  And also the Navy will through a lot of money your way if that is something that interest's you.

homersimpson

bunch of questions on A school
« Reply #117 on: Feb 05, 2007, 01:10 »
ok, so i got into nuke, now i have a bunch of questions on A school...

1. do you get time off after boot camp and before A school?

2. are you able to bring a car to A school? do you have time to do anything with it anyway?

3. i heard ET is the best rating to try and get, and it will land you the most money coming out of the navy...also i heard MM is the dirtiest...?

4.the age old question, sub v. carrier?

5. um, any random advice to keep me from getting into trouble/flunking out/etc.?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?