Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Job, Resume, Cover Letter Tips [Merged]

Author Topic: Job, Resume, Cover Letter Tips [Merged]  (Read 45412 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: Job, Resume, Cover Letter Tips [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2011, 06:13 »
Everyone has their opinion on what they like/want to see. There is no pleasing everyone. The best thing one can do is have a well written and formatted one page resume and have one for each position they are applying for. Oh, and hope that they don't have to have it cross playswithairplane's desk.  ::)

Justin

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 06:20 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2011, 08:36 »
Talk about "lawyered"!  My "small company" is wholly owned by a company that is wholly owned by the 16th largest company in the world ( by total revenues - 29th largest by number of employees and somewhere in the top 20 by market value).  None of the people I hire are employees of the company I work for.  I am not an employee of the company I work for.  My boss and I are not employees of the same company.  He works for two companies and is an employee of the company who owns the company that owns both of those companies.  I work for one of the companies he works for, and am an employee of another company that is not related to any of the other companies at all.  If I get the next job that I am applying for, my current boss and I will both be employees of the same company, but we will work for different companies.
Make any sense?  I didn't think so.
But for the moment, those layers of lawyers allow me to receive a resume directly, read it as written, interview those I wish to interview, and hire those whom I judge to be qualified.  Although this seems like the "old-fashioned way", an applicant still needs to dump the cover letter and objectives section, write in plain English, and tailor the resume specifically to the job I'm filling.

It is true that you can't please everyone.  So, don't even try.  Trying to please even ONE hiring manager is a gamble at best.  Instead of trying to please us - just tell us the facts and try your best not to dis-please us.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Apr 21, 2011, 05:19 »
So, based on the advice in this thread...

•   Qualified Engineering Laboratory Technician, Engineroom Supervisor, Shutdown Roving Watch, Quality Assurance Craftsman, Quality Assurance Inspector, Controlled Materials Petty Officer, Workcenter Supervisor, and Primary Valve Operator - Advanced. Achieved the rank of Machinist's Mate Second Class, Submarines Qualified. Attended Operational Water Chemistry and Radiological Controls School.
•   Participated in an arduous Engineered Refueling Overhaul and Dual Media Discharge, being directly recognized as one of the key junior members of the engineering department during post-overhaul operational testing by Naval Reactors and the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.
•   Performed the role of Logroom Yeoman, responsible for the administrative operations of the 50-man engineering department for six months. Generated and routed over 40 memorandums and 30 instructions, maintained a library of over 300 technical works without errors. Recognized during an Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam as one of the key members of the department.
•   Performed the role of Engineering Department Training Assistant, responsible for the continued training of the 50-man engineering department for six months. Generated and routed over 10 department-level exams and over 20 divisional exams. Maintained exam bank, exam records, and training records flawlessly, as recognized during an Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam.

...the above would not be considered a good entry to have under professional experience?  And I should instead break it apart into something like:

•  Qualified Engineering Laboratory Technician - Performed radiological controls for routine and maintenance operational requirements, including contamination and radiation surveys, portable air samples, and initial reactor compartment entries following at-power operation.  Responsible for maintaining and controlling primary and secondary plant water chemistry.  Collateral duties included:
   •  Repair Parts Petty Officer - Responsible for controlling and ordering replacements for an inventory of over 1200 line items, and coordinating maintenance activities to ensure all appropriate supplies were available for operational needs.
   •  Dosimetry Petty Officer - Responsible for reading thermoluminescent dosimeters and maintaining ALARA principles, generating MAN-REM packages, and ensuring that all exposure controls and standards were met.
   •  Radioactive Materials Petty Officer - Responsible for the control of radioactive materials, including inventory and accountability, preparation for shipping, and transfer of RAM to outside organizations.
   •  Workcenter Supervisor - Responsible for planning and organizing maintenance, generation of Formal Work Packages and Work Authorization Forms, supervision and inspection of maintenance, and generation of daily, weekly, quarterly, and cyclic work schedules.
   •  Training Petty Officer - Responsible for divisional training and examinations.  Generated training lectures, training exams, conducted department and divisional-level continued training, maintained examination records and training databases.
   •  Logroom Yeoman - Responsible for the administrative operations of the engineering department.  Generated and routed over memorandums and instructions, and maintained a library of technical works.
   •  Engineering Department Training Assistant - Responsible for the continued training of the engineering department.  Generated and routed department-level exams and divisional exams. Maintained exam bank, exam records, and training records.

So that I have more detail about the specific tasks accomplished instead of a general overview of professional experience?  Also, how would I include experience during an ERO and DMD into a resume?  As a separate bullet under professional experience?
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 05:42 by JustPlainLo »

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:03 »
So, based on the advice in this thread...

Please show me the job you're applying for that necessitates descriptions of all those positions.  

So what, you were the dose, ram, and rppo?  The only people who recognize that crap are navy nukes (and they don't care).  Maybe mention how you managed the supply and logistics of a 20-person work group, with a critical eye towards quality assurance, admin, and procedural compliance; a net savings of $437.29 and 136 mrem over a 14 month period!

And two different training positions, really?  Pick 3 or 4 major roles and capture the collateral duties in their description.

Couple buzzwords for you:  safety, safety, teamwork, safety, safety.  Check out the INPO pillars, your prospective company's near and dear values, etc.

Do yourself a favor and google resume writing tips.  Cater that thing to the job description!  Yours is a laundry list of responsibilities with exactly zero accomplishments.  Or were you going to mention that end-of-tour NAM at the bottom??  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 07:20 by a|F »

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:42 »
Please show me the job you're applying for that necessitates descriptions of all those positions.  
It's a boilerplate resume, to be honest, for handing out at the job fairs on campus and for generic internship applications.  Pretty much meant to shotgun all potential areas, it's not tailored for any specific job at the moment.  I'm aware that I should re-write it for each and every actual job application, but that seems to be a little over the top for job fairs and a generic resume for sticking into the online resume bank on campus.

So what, you were the dose, ram, and rppo?  The only people who recognize that crap are navy nukes (and they don't care).  Maybe mention how you managed the supply and logistics of a 20-person work group, with a critical eye towards quality assurance, admin, and procedural compliance; a net savings of $437.29 and 136 mrem over a 14 month period!

And two different training positions, really?  Pick 3 or 4 major roles and capture the collateral duties in their description.
So your advice is to back away from the job descriptions/bullets and go for a more formally written format, with specific achievements?  I considered that, but I can't really say I've saved X man-rem or Y $'s, though.  I don't know any of those numbers, unfortunately, and I'd have no idea how to calculate them.  It's on the scale of not ordering 50 pairs of anti-c's and just walking down to the C105 shack and snagging 50 pair from their supply locker, not 'I saved the US Navy $5000 by doing this,' or 'Under my direct supervision, we completed a DMD 500 mrem under our allowed man-rem.' 

And...  How does one make ELT into 3-4 major roles?  I mean, I guess I could break it apart into radcon, chemistry, and training, since that's pretty much what I did, but even then, there's not a lot that I can really write.  Or am I making a mistake in assuming that most people would be familiar with those roles and their responsibilities?

In other words...  Am I making this too complicated?  Like, TAP, the campus career services people, etc, all suggested that I write my resume this way, and I figured I should get some additional advice on it, since I'm starting to head into the wacky world of internships and actually needing to look for a job now.

Couple buzzwords for you:  safety, safety, teamwork, safety, safety.  Check out the INPO pillars, your prospective company's near and dear values, etc.
How do you integrate safety into a stock submarine ELT job?  I don't think I've ever done anything involved with safety, aside from making sure I always wore my PPE because it kept the shipyard guys from sending complaints to our chain of command when we didn't have our hardhats on in the engineroom.  Just the routine stuff like that, no specific safety supervisor or safety training.  Same with teamwork, really.  I don't have any 'real' leadership experience, the closest was playing acting LELT for a couple days.  ERS is not really leadership experience, IMO, especially when you only stood it for proficiency.

Do yourself a favor and google resume writing tips.  Cater that thing to the job description!  Yours is a laundry list of responsibilities with exactly zero accomplishments.  Or were you going to mention that end-of-tour NAM at the bottom??  ;)
My end-of-tour NAM was tossed to me by the skipper as I walked out of the door.  It was literally last-minute, I had to walk the paperwork over to PSD so they could shove it in my personnel record before I separated.  The less I think about my EoT NAM, the better.  It kept me on base an extra 45 minutes after I was supposed to be out of the Navy.  :P

ski2313

« Reply #30 on: Apr 22, 2011, 05:53 »
Sole point of a resume: Picque interest and get a phone call for an interview (it may sound obvious, but it escapes people sometimes. Hiring managers don't have time to read your entire resume. Give them the overview of your relevant experience, not the boring and/or irrelevant details.)

Bullet points and succint highlights = good. I would say 1 page, max.

Paragraphs of exhausting bloviation, goofy fonts, typos = fast track to recycling bin

Save the bloviation for the interview!

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Apr 22, 2011, 10:03 »
Thanks for the advice I've been provided; I shall do my best to implement it into my next resume (now at version 17.4).

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Apr 22, 2011, 10:28 »
I posted how I grade a resume in a thread a few weeks back.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Apr 22, 2011, 11:02 »
I posted how I grade a resume in a thread a few weeks back.

Took some looking, but I found it.  Thanks!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #35 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:22 »
Is that an offshoot of the "American Consortium for the Career Opportunity Resume Network" aka ACORN?  ::) ::) ;D ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?