SEC

Above Average
6 (28.6%)
Average
5 (23.8%)
Below Average
10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: SEC (Safety & Ecology Corp)  (Read 22690 times)

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
SEC (Safety & Ecology Corp)
« on: Jul 31, 2001, 06:30 »
Anyone worked with SEC in the past.  How were they as a company?
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 12:32 by Rennhack »

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
Re: SEC as employer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2001, 07:18 »
How large of an employer is SEC at the Fernald site.  Fernald sounds like a good place to locate.  But, if the employer is less than responsive to the employees concerns and working conditions, then the best place in the world can become the biggest nightmare.  A coordinator can make or break a place to work, as everyone knows.  

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2001, 05:56 »
SEC has gotten better at Oak Ridge since  they have  taken over.   You can't  make  all people  happy but, you can  encorage  competence.  This  will  keep  the  competent  people  happy  and  encourage competence  from the  cellar dwelling   droolers  that  have  no  idea  how  meters  work  or  what  a  100 cm 2  smear  is.  SEC needs  to look  at   encouraging  techs to  get  their NRRPT.  Rocky Flats and  Bechtel  Nevada  give  additional  money  for  this  qualification.  SEC  should  see  if DOE  will  give  them  extra  money  for  NRRPT techs.  This  will  make  SEC   look   better  by  having  more  competent  techs  and  encoraging  competence.  If  Techs  can  be  paid  more   for  this  at  other  DOE  sites  why  can't  SEC get DOE to  do  this?  Smarter techs  means  SEC  looks  better  and  more  contracts.   Droolers =  failure  and    laughing  stock>>  Think  about  it.

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2002, 03:11 »
8)sec and numanco are working together at lrri. they seem to be agood company to work for. but hey ive been out of the business 10 yrs. and they gave me a job.
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2002, 08:33 »
I know I'm probably going to catch some flack for this but here goes. My wife and I worked @ Fernald for 3.5 years and it seems to me if you do three simple things you'll be a favorite of the site coordinator.
1.  Keep Your Mouth Shut
2.  Do What Your Told
3.  Park where your suppose to
With 40hrs sick pay, 80hrs/yr vacation, 10 paid holidays, matching 401k, $30.00/season to play on the Fernald soft ball team drink beer and have fun, a kick butt Christmas Party, I fail to see the problem.

We became good friends with Marlin and Lori. We left last week for another job and they came and sweated their butts off in 95 degree weather while they helped with loading our U-Haul. What more can a tech ask for. As Mike said, site coordinating is a thankless job and I'm sure Marlin has said some things while being frustrated dealing with a bunch of whinny babies. SEC handeled the pay problem in a timely and professional manner. So, to the few techs at Fernald who have to gripe I say - SUCK IT UP. Or find something better????

PAULTHEVOL

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2002, 11:52 »
I worked at Fernald for almost 3 years,anyone who worked there while Marlin was in charge knows what was going on.If Marlin helped you move in 95 degree weather,then it is very clear that you were in the click that sat around Marlin's desk half the day talking about how worthless the other RCTs were.Marlin was not respected by anyone out side of his circle,he did not care about anyone but his friends,he is a liar,and is not qualified for the job he was given.Im sure if I would have joined you at one of his wine & cheese partys,or one of the Star trek conventions,then I might have have been on the inside looking out like you.Marlin helped you move and you said what more could a tech ask for,how about when your father passes away getting a sympathy card,or a congratulations when you take a major step in your life like gettig married,or maybe a get together dinner when you turn in your notice after 3 years,but these are the things reserved for the people who regularly chapped their lips on Marlins butt cheeks.Doing these things for just his friends and not all of his employees is a short cut to being accused of having a click not to mention never earning the respect of the people that work for you.You said if your not happy,then go some where else,well I did.I loved working for SEC at Fernald,I was paid well and made many strong friendships while I was there but after Brad A. left things went down hill in the front office.RCTs were no longer judged on how they performed in their area ,they were judged by Marlin from his chair on how he felt about them as a person,not an employee.Bartlett now has the contract and Marlin has been relieved of his duties, that is solid proof that most of what these posts implied was true and thatit was more than just a few who felt this way.Idrumforfood I am not afraid of hurting your feelings with what I wrote,my name is Paul Emert and if you want to call me a whiner or a crybaby or would like to discuss this topic more ,my e-mail is available in my profile.We can arrange a face to face chat.By the way 8 techs left Fernald in Aug,& Sept for Rocky Flats ,Marlin diddn't show up to help any of us move.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: SEC Instrument Rental
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2003, 11:35 »
I would have to agree with you, Tim.  I used their instruments for a year and a half.  My guys would break 'em, and SEC would replace 'em.  We had quick service.  -  They just switched to a new cable and cable connector that look 'really cool'.  They are suposed to be 10 times better than the old cables.  (You know, "Must be a bad cable".)

Disclaimer:  I work for SEC right now, and NukeWorker.com gets advertising money from the SEC Instrument lab. (So support our advertiser! Order your instruments from SEC! Call 800-905-0501 Today.)

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 10:27 »
; ;D  i WORKED FOR SEC AT LRRI, OUTSTNDING COMPANY. THERE SEEMS TO BE A CLOSENESS WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION.i got to know sveral of the vp's. Check this out ,I RODE INTO WORK EVERYDAY WITH  ONE OF THEM. HOW MANY VP'S ARE GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO PICK UP AN EMPLOYEE? I GIVE SEC A BIG THUMBS UP. [smiley=king.gif] [smiley=king.gif]
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 11:45 »
There seems to be too many Radghost on this site!  At this point I have to state that RAD-GHOST and radghost are not the same person!  

As for SEC, I have worked for them in the past and I think they are actually one of the most employee friendly companies in the industry.  They don't offer PD for many of their sites, but they do offer a great insurance package, Real bonus's, Checks are on time and usually an annual salary over 40K.  As for Fernald, Marlin had his personal agenda, which all of us have.  Some people are just not designed to solely manage 100+ techs, I'm not and wouldn't even try!      

One thing I haven't been able to figure out?  Why is SEC maintaining this small business profile?  It may have it's perks in the government relm, but there is just too much business out there to stand back and watch it go by!  Besides the other companies, with the opposite mind set, are knocking at the back door!  They are already in the front door!

TEMERT

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2003, 12:45 »
SEC is great.

deputyRct

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2003, 12:35 »
AS A EMPLOYER THEY SUCK SUCK. THEY FILL SCREW YOU ANY WAY THEY CAN.I WORKED FOR THEM A FEW YEARS AT FERNALD. THEY DO NOT TAKE CARE OF THEIR RCTS AT ALL. AND BULLSHIT AND LIE WORSE THAN A LOT OF OTHER COMPANIES OUT IN BUS. FOR A LOT LONGER. THATS WHY THEY ARE LOOSING CONTRACTS TO  BARTLETT. >:(

RADBASTARD

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2003, 09:32 »
I have worked for SEC about 4 years ago at about 4 different sites and have always been treated great.I can say nothing but good things about them.

jkeithj

SEC Radcon Alliance
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2003, 11:15 »
Anyone familiar with why the disparity between Auxier, Kelly, SAIC and SEC pay for radcon techs in Oak Ridge?

alphadude

Re: SEC Radcon Alliance
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2003, 12:45 »
the doe basically gives all the same rate.  its what ever techs will take at the time.  perdiam is a charge thru at the gov. rate,  

Vol-Hater

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2003, 10:45 »
FYI, as far as Oak Ridge is concerned......

$20/hr is about par for everyone, give or take.

But, be prepared to look the other way from time to time and if your a good tech, do your legs exercises, cause your back is going to hurt!

jkeithj

« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2003, 09:22 »
I was really questioning the wide gap in pay between alliance partners.  Is it who you know, good negotiating skills or "supply and demand"?  Help me, I'm trying to learn "who I need to know" or "how to broaden my negotiating skills".

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2003, 12:48 »
I was really questioning the wide gap in pay between alliance partners.  Is it who you know, good negotiating skills or "supply and demand"?  Help me, I'm trying to learn "who I need to know" or "how to broaden my negotiating skills".

know thyself.  that will shrink the pay gap.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

SafetyIsMyLife

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2003, 05:57 »
It has been 3 years since I was a supervisor with the Alliance(Auxier emp.) but at the time if you looked at the differences in benefits and pay it worked out to be fairly close to the same which is what was "required" at the time. I still work with some Alliance Techs and things vary quite a bit now... some jobs pay per diem some don't some are short term while others aren't and if you hold a clearance you have more bargaining power. Basically pay/benifits are about the same but the companies have a little bit of flexibility within their own numbers. Just like to say that Auxier and Assoc. is an outstanding company to work for and the Admin./Recept and the Office Manager are excellent people to work with and really care about the people in the field. Don't want to mention their actual names here but do want to recognize them. :)

moke

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2003, 06:01 »
I second that. Auxier is one of the most technically correct organizations that maintains a great reputation regarding measurement.

Have an Awesome Week!

Moke ;D

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:53 »
John Auxier is an incredible HP and an incredible person - had the opportunity to work with him in Oak Ridge after getting out of school.
Decomm Man

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
SEC
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:02 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: SEC
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:27 »
No per diem.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?