Kelly Services

Above Average
2 (20%)
Average
2 (20%)
Below Average
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Kelly Services  (Read 31253 times)

Kelly

Kelly Services
« on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:03 »
Is Kelly a good contractor to work for?  How do they compare with others as far as pay, benefits, and quality of life? 
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 11:48 by Rennhack »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
Re: Info on Kelly Services????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2004, 12:14 »
They pay you when they say they will. They are good to their word, as far as I have seen. The recruiters are good, decent people.

Good points: Refer another RCT and you get a $100 bonus. They were offering a nice bonus/relocation package and I had no trouble getting that. If you don't need their insurance, you can make another $2 an hour. Centrally located to this job site if you ever need to go see them.

Bad points: You may have to do the Core Exam or the HazWoper on your own time. The pay is pretty close to others, as far as hourly goes, but the per diem jobs are hard to come by with Kelly, unless you have a clearance.

Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate them an 8.  ;)

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2004, 12:55 »
Is the relocation assistance an ongoing benefit?  Is their health insurance expensive?  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:40 »
Kelly Serv. supports the nuke field?  I worked for Kelly about 5 years ago, when I first got into Nuclear, as a Document Control clerk...  I guess I was under the assumption that they were mainly office or generalized skilled labor.
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

halflifer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:30 »
I was lined up to go to work for Kelly, but they only gave me a report date, not a place or time, until 3 days before I was supposed to be there. I was working at a decent paying job at the time and wasn't about to leave that with nothing more than a report date. In all honesty though, I think this was an anomoly and not the normal thing for them. I know several more people who reported that day and had no such problems. I was a bit put back though when their response was "well, if you don't report now, we won't be interested in you in the future."

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2004, 04:21 »
 ;) Does anyone have any points of contact for "Kelly Services"
maybe I might contact them since Im still just a Jr RCT LQQking for a place... ???
 8)

Offline cajunbaby84

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2004, 11:25 »
You can contact Brad or Niguanna at 865-481-4901.  I work for them also. Like Dave said you get paid when they say you do and I have not had any problems with them.  If you need any more info send me a personal email.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2004, 08:09 »
Halflifer,

I had a call from them back in the summer, after they sat on my resume for three months, without any communications, they seemed insulted that I told them NO, ( Commited Somewhere Else )!  I don't know what kind of experience their recruiters have, but if they believe their the only game in town and the techs are waiting by the phone, for their call, their headed for a big surprise!  It also appears that the sign on perks have dried up, for the time being.  Give it a couple of weeks, they'll be back!

RG

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:57 »
I think you can say the same thing about any staffing company. If you are friendly and professional when you call for a job, they will do the same in return and go that extra mile for you. That doesn't always work, because you may be the unlucky one to get caught in the numbers game, which no one person can control. All you can do is contact Rusty or Niguanna and send your resume. If you are qualified and they need you to fill a slot, you will get a job. It is that simple. They are more than willing to help you. That much I can vouch for. The rest of the stuff falls under the "political" file.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:15 »
I believe the intent of my posting, was to offer a little advice in the staffing game.  Just because a resume is received, that isn't a Deed of Ownership!  Any company that calls, out of the blue, after sitting on a resume for three months, without even a courtousy contact, can hardly get upset at a NO!  The same thing goes with a three day show up notice!

Communications is a Wonderful Thing, If Used!

RG

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:30 »
RG, You are suffering from holiday stress, I think. I wasn't referring to what you said. I was talking to Tina, who was looking for work. You already have a job, I presume. I feel bad for you that your resume was "sat on" for 3 months, but that doesn't mean that Kelly is a bad company because you weren't treated how you wanted to be treated. As I stated, you may get caught up in the numbers game, which could have been what happened to you. You are correct in saying that a resume does not equal a Deed Of Ownership, but when you accept their job offer, who really owns who? That is, until they fire you, lay you off, or you walk? You weren't being rebuffed or picked on by me and I am not a KELLY cheerleader. I was just stating what I see as an employee of that company. Chill Homey.

halflifer

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:08 »
I related an unpleasant event, but I don't think that Kelly is a 'Bad' company. I could relate unpleasant events about most companies, nobody is perfect and ugly (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.
If you are set on working in the Oak Ridge area, by all means give Brad, Rusty or Niguanna (is that the right spelling?) a call, if you get the job, show up on time, learn what your job is, do it, be pleasant and I'll bet a week's per diem (oh that's right, Kelly doesn't pay per diem) that you have a good experience with them.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:10 »
Dave,

Holiday Stress?  Maybe... 8)   I thought Tina wanted a phone number? 

It's great to see an employee who advocates for their company, but attempting to discredit other members, who post less than perfect responses of their experiences, is rather childish.  I'll probably stand alone on this one, but I appreciate the good and bad on a subject, or a future employer.  It allows me the opportunity to ask question, I would have normally overlooked, during negotiations. 

I can't remember ever stating that Kelly was a bad company, then again I can't recall ever saying any company was bad!  I'll work for any of them, if the situation meets my needs!  I believe that's what we're all in the game for!  If the fellow members of this site, including yourself, can give me any insight, on what I'm dealing with and who I'm dealing with, I'll offer a ton of Thanks! 

Although you are not the Cheerleader, you do appear to be the Unofficial Spokesman.  As I read the postings, like the company representatives should, there appears to be some glitches in some hiring situations.  Ignore them or address them, fine either way, but don't say they didn't happen, or throw  excuses at them!  Your assumption is correct, I work pretty much year round.  Like many Technicians I know, when their resumes go out, their availability usually ends after a couple of days, a week at most!  If a company gets insulted because they call and receive a no, after three months fo sitting silent, Sorry!

The Thread started, " Information on Kelly Services ".  I, for one, appreciate the feedback, yours included!

You may be a Homey, but don't feed us Bologna, RG!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:24 »
I'm picking up what you're laying down, Hoss.....

We all know that our best friend is the one who sent us our last paycheck, no matter what color hard hat we are wearing.

Happy Holidays.  ;)

merlin_the_wizard

No response from Kelly Services
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2005, 03:45 »
I'm an RCT and have been trying to inquire with Kelly Services about work at Oak Ridge.  Have contacted them through email and fax and have received no response.  It has been at least a couple of weeks since I first contacted them.  Is this normal for them?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

alphadude

Re: No response from Kelly Services
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:19 »
If you are not local u at the bottom of the list.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:56 »
Call Rusty at 865-481-4900 or 4901. If you are qualified and aren't a licensed terrorist, you shouldn't have any problem.
Don't forget to tell them I referred you........ ;) ;) ;)

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2005, 05:16 »
Thanks, Dave.  Wouldn't you know that Rusty would call right after my posting.  I did receive an offer and it's comparable to what I have now.  Oak Ridge is my location preference, but they want me to start right away.  I would have to give my two week notice at my current job this week.  I asked Rusty about starting in February or March to give me some time to sell my house, relocate my family, etc, but that apparently won't work.  Question?  Do you anticipate Oak Ridge having openings in the Spring?  Thanks in advance.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2005, 05:44 »
s**t!
that place has been going loooong b4 i got into the biz & will be going  at least till i retire!!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:14 »
Don't quote me on it, but I think you have a pretty good chance of getting in here in the spring. Mr Rhoads is accurate when he says that they are always searching for new blood down here.

I would give you this advice: When guys can play baseball in Bum F... Egypt for a million a year, but only play for 500,000 in New York, they are going to stay in BFEgypt. But, if New York offers 800,000 and a longer contract, they start to wonder if New York isn't such a bad idea. There is your analogy. You can decipher that as you wish..... :-\

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2005, 08:04 »
It seems to me that if Kelly really needed techs... which they tell me they are going to hire 60-80 over the next few months that they would have a little more leverage on report dates. But the bottom line is they are a temp agency trying to make it in the rent a tech world but they don't have a clue as to our lifestyle. I was at BNFL early last year and figured it was about time to move on to ORNL. I first contacted Kelly and interviewed with them and was told they would be getting in touch with me in a few days. After a few weeks of waiting and trying to call them and not getting a response I contacted SAIC and went to work with them just a couple of weeks later. As my luck would have it SEC booted SAIC out of the picture and Kelly was nice enough to offer me $2/hr less than what their techs were making. I turned it down and went to SRS and then got a call from Kelly offering me $4/hr more than I was making to start with. They think they have you in a position where you don't have a choice and can get you for less money but when that don't happen the offer gets sweeter. So my advice for merlin is to wait it out and the pot will get sweeter as bringing in 80 techs will requireKelly to get off the money. Good Luck!

Doc_REM

« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:32 »
Good advise!
Kelly has already had 4 "tech's" released for not being qualitied as Sr. RCT'S! ::)

johniim

« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2005, 03:46 »
I guess it depends on wich recruiter you talk to. The one I delt with recently had a habit of lying or at least only telling half truths. I was lied to about the wage told a half truth about the job location and to top it all off I had to live for two weeks on my dime. Towards the end of my contract I  was asked to stay for a few months. Did they offer a resign-bonus ?...NO a better hourly wage ?...NO but the did offer not to cut my diem for 30 days of the 90 they wanted me to stay for. My response NODIEM NOSEEUM.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2005, 07:50 »
If I was you, I would call and talk to one of the managers at the office. If you have a legitimate beef, I am sure that they will try and make it right.
They don't make a habit of trying to "deliberately" screw people around. Everyone I have sent their way has been more than pleased with the way they have been treated. This may not be the case with you.
If you are talking about Oak Ridge, there aren't very many per diem jobs with Kelly at that site. If it was more per diem you were looking for, you are in the same boat as the rest of us 500 technicians or more down here.

The bottom line is this: If you were treated wrongly and try to speak with someone at the office, I am sure they can right your wrong. The forum here doesn't know both sides of the story, so it is hard to give an educated response, but try this approach and you may be surprised by your result.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:14 »
Dave, perhaps you could get the Kelly people more involved in the forums.  I'm sure they could offer a more educated responce.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005, 03:33 by Rennhack »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?