Career Path > Radiation Safety

CT scan

<< < (2/3) > >>

Marlin:

--- Quote from: peteshonkwiler on Jul 28, 2022, 12:08 ---Marlina, I have an idle conversation question. Do you think the radiologist gave you a quick, from the hip, answer to your question? 
I ask because it is a round number in the value that is familiar to nuke workers in the valley, as opposed to a value which a radiologist is more likely to assign a dose.

--- End quote ---

Not sure I am guessing that she got it from another patient, there are a lot of Rad people including lots of PHDs down here. I had asked another operator some time before in prep for surgery and he did not know. An X-Ray tech I asked long time ago did not know the dose and responded with kilovolts meaning what he applied to the X-Ray tube to get the best quality picture. I suspect a lot of operators do not know as it is predetermined and their main focus is delivering clear images for the doctors.

My  [2cents]

RDTroja:

--- Quote from: Marlin on Jul 28, 2022, 05:59 ---   Not sure I am guessing that she got it from another patient, there are a lot of Rad people including lots of PHDs down here. I had asked another operator some time pefore in prep for surgery and he did not know. An X-Ray tech I asked long time ago did not know the dose and responded with kilovolts meaning what he applied to the X-Ray tube to get the best quality picture. I suspect a lot of operators do not know as it is predetermined and their main focus is delivering clear images for the doctors.

My  [2cents]

--- End quote ---

Many years ago I was in a car accident and needed an x-ray in south Jersey. When I asked the dose the technician replied 'You don't get any exposure. I have to wear a film badge (sic) to measure what I get. When I pushed her on that, she gruffly replied 'You work at that nuclear plant, don't you? You guys are always asking questions like that!"

Never did get an answer.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: RDTroja on Jul 29, 2022, 08:12 ---Many years ago I was in a car accident and needed an x-ray in south Jersey. When I asked the dose the technician replied 'You don't get any exposure. I have to wear a film badge (sic) to measure what I get. When I pushed her on that, she gruffly replied 'You work at that nuclear plant, don't you? You guys are always asking questions like that!"

Never did get an answer.

--- End quote ---

"Noone expects the Troja Inquisition"

8)

[coffee]

peteshonkwiler:
Yins guys answers are totally in line with my  experiences, except this last one. One time, I had the tech tell me that my dose was a result of the applied voltage, so I told him I could get that formula and to let me know the what he used. He got real flustered and said he didn't have that number handy.😳 Which is why I found this last conversation so nice.  Although, her first responses were the numbers, so I had to ask about the units. That popped her eyes wide and she was back into the operator shack scanning her computer. Came back with the my units and a remark that having to deal with units like that took her back to XRay Tech classes!

RDTroja:

--- Quote from: Marlin on Jul 29, 2022, 10:35 ---"Noone expects the Troja Inquisition"

8)

[coffee]

--- End quote ---
I don't know whether to be honored that I was incorporated into a Mel Brooks moment or pissed that I will now have that song in my head for a while...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version