Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CT scan honeypot

Author Topic: CT scan  (Read 1076 times)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
CT scan
« on: Jul 18, 2022, 09:42 »
Had a scan done by an experienced operator. When I identified myself as a RP professional and asked about the doses, they were provided immediately. Quite a refreshing approach!
Doses were:
CTDlvol 13.91mGy
DLP 490.83 mGy

and, because I didn't know either😉, here's the definitions:
"Dose length product (DLP) measured in mGycm is a measure of CT tube radiation output/exposure. It is related to volume CT dose index (CTDIvol), but CTDIvol represents the dose through a slice of an appropriate phantom. DLP accounts for the length of radiation output along the z-axis (the long axis of the patient)."

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/dose-length-product?lang=us#:~:text=Dose%20length%20product%20(DLP)%20measured,long%20axis%20of%20the%20patient).
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2022, 03:57 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: CT scan
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2022, 04:36 »
Periodic CT scans will be a follow up for me for a long time. I had a softball sized tumor and about a foot of intestine removed last year. The operators gave me my dose as one Rem apparently being located in Oak Ridge with all the nuclear related workers there they were prepared for my question. Of course I looked it up later. "Trust but verify".  8)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2022, 07:32 »
My dose was bigger than your dose....🤣🤣
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2022, 07:58 »
My dose was bigger than your dose....🤣🤣

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2022, 12:08 »
Marlina, I have an idle conversation question. Do you think the radiologist gave you a quick, from the hip, answer to your question? 
I ask because it is a round number in the value that is familiar to nuke workers in the valley, as opposed to a value which a radiologist is more likely to assign a dose.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2022, 05:59 »
Marlina, I have an idle conversation question. Do you think the radiologist gave you a quick, from the hip, answer to your question? 
I ask because it is a round number in the value that is familiar to nuke workers in the valley, as opposed to a value which a radiologist is more likely to assign a dose.

Not sure I am guessing that she got it from another patient, there are a lot of Rad people including lots of PHDs down here. I had asked another operator some time before in prep for surgery and he did not know. An X-Ray tech I asked long time ago did not know the dose and responded with kilovolts meaning what he applied to the X-Ray tube to get the best quality picture. I suspect a lot of operators do not know as it is predetermined and their main focus is delivering clear images for the doctors.

My  [2cents]
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2022, 10:24 by Marlin »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2022, 08:12 »
   Not sure I am guessing that she got it from another patient, there are a lot of Rad people including lots of PHDs down here. I had asked another operator some time pefore in prep for surgery and he did not know. An X-Ray tech I asked long time ago did not know the dose and responded with kilovolts meaning what he applied to the X-Ray tube to get the best quality picture. I suspect a lot of operators do not know as it is predetermined and their main focus is delivering clear images for the doctors.

My  [2cents]

Many years ago I was in a car accident and needed an x-ray in south Jersey. When I asked the dose the technician replied 'You don't get any exposure. I have to wear a film badge (sic) to measure what I get. When I pushed her on that, she gruffly replied 'You work at that nuclear plant, don't you? You guys are always asking questions like that!"

Never did get an answer.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2022, 10:35 »
Many years ago I was in a car accident and needed an x-ray in south Jersey. When I asked the dose the technician replied 'You don't get any exposure. I have to wear a film badge (sic) to measure what I get. When I pushed her on that, she gruffly replied 'You work at that nuclear plant, don't you? You guys are always asking questions like that!"

Never did get an answer.

"Noone expects the Troja Inquisition"

8)

[coffee]

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2022, 12:47 »
Yins guys answers are totally in line with my  experiences, except this last one. One time, I had the tech tell me that my dose was a result of the applied voltage, so I told him I could get that formula and to let me know the what he used. He got real flustered and said he didn't have that number handy.😳 Which is why I found this last conversation so nice.  Although, her first responses were the numbers, so I had to ask about the units. That popped her eyes wide and she was back into the operator shack scanning her computer. Came back with the my units and a remark that having to deal with units like that took her back to XRay Tech classes!
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2022, 01:08 »
"Noone expects the Troja Inquisition"

8)

[coffee]
I don't know whether to be honored that I was incorporated into a Mel Brooks moment or pissed that I will now have that song in my head for a while...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2022, 03:22 »
Could not help myself   [devious]

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2022, 07:44 »
🤣🤣🤣
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2022, 04:01 »
Had my grandson in for a hip CT scan today. I asked what the dose would be from the scan. She replied with mobo jumbo designed to  satisfy the populace of the government levels and how the hospital used 15% of that. When I identified myself as a Rad Pro professional, she threw out the applied wattage numbers. I asked once more about the dose and she blew me off with not having the time to get that information.
Fricken Jrs!
A REM is a REM is a REM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?