Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The future of this industry
honeypot

Author Topic: The future of this industry  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Coaster

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
The future of this industry
« on: Aug 15, 2022, 02:04 »
I've recently accepted a job as an NLO and I start in a couple of weeks. I'm generally excited but one thing that's causing me some concern is the future of the nuclear industry in the US. There's not many new plants being built while there's quite a few that are shutting down. The plant I'll be working at has a license through 2033 and there's another plant with the same utility in the same state that they apparently want open until 2040.

Can anyone offer some opinion or advice on what they believe about this? Is it still a worthwhile career to get in to right now? Worst case scenario how transferable are the skills I'll learn be to other careers?

Thanks.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: The future of this industry
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2022, 02:42 »
I've recently accepted a job as an NLO and I start in a couple of weeks. I'm generally excited but one thing that's causing me some concern is the future of the nuclear industry in the US. There's not many new plants being built while there's quite a few that are shutting down. The plant I'll be working at has a license through 2033 and there's another plant with the same utility in the same state that they apparently want open until 2040.

Can anyone offer some opinion or advice on what they believe about this? Is it still a worthwhile career to get in to right now? Worst case scenario how transferable are the skills I'll learn be to other careers?

Thanks.

The industry is in transition. Attitudes on nuclear is also in transition on an upward swing fortunately. Funding is required for those plants that are not financially viable on their own. Legislation to fund many of these plants has been passed on the national and state level but some are still on the chopping block for early retirement. This funding will extend the life of existing plants, the future may depend on SMRs and that is not assured but has plenty of backers. Some of the new SMRs may not be run by utilities but by companies requiring high dependable power such as for bit coin mining, steel production, hydrogen production, and other processes by private organizations. I will let someone else comment on the ability to transfer to other careers I am a little out of touch on that (retired).
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2022, 08:08 by Marlin »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2022, 03:11 »
Hopefully putting in 11 years will give you enough seniority to make the cut to stick around for the many years of decommissioning if they indeed forgo a license extension. 
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2022, 05:09 »
According to what I read of the new Inflation Reduction Act it could pretty much induce almost all Nuclear Plants to continue operations until 2032.  Not a fan of most of that bill but I do love the tax credits it gives to operational commercial reactors making electricity.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2022, 08:14 »
According to what I read of the new Inflation Reduction Act it could pretty much induce almost all Nuclear Plants to continue operations until 2032.  Not a fan of most of that bill but I do love the tax credits it gives to operational commercial reactors making electricity.

Please don't call it that. There is nothing that bill will do to reduce inflation. The name was invented to fool people.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2022, 08:14 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2022, 06:51 »
Yeah i think that was a given for anyone with an IQ over 80....but I don't know what else to call it. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?