Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Report: 80% of Existing Coal Plants Could House Nuclear Power at 35% the Cost honeypot

Author Topic: Report: 80% of Existing Coal Plants Could House Nuclear Power at 35% the Cost  (Read 240 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Replacing a 1,000 MwE Coal burner for a 50 MwE SMR (or 12 of them) is hardly a drop in the bucket.

But hey, I like all the pro-nuke talk.  Its good for us old fashioned nuke plants too.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Replacing a 1,000 MwE Coal burner for a 50 MwE SMR (or 12 of them) is hardly a drop in the bucket.

But hey, I like all the pro-nuke talk.  Its good for us old fashioned nuke plants too.

The number of coal sites would dwarf the number of currently running nuclear dinosaurs. The DOE has idendifie 157 retired coal plant sites and 237 currently running sites that can be converted. Not all SMRs are 50 megawatts, some are up to 300 a modular site with 12 of these would exceed a 1000 megawatt plant but I expect that with cocerns about infrastucture there would be only a few of these.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Lets get one up and running, and putting electricity on the grid.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?