Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 48 Hours (November 17, 1988) Fernald

Author Topic: 48 Hours (November 17, 1988) Fernald  (Read 322 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
48 Hours (November 17, 1988) Fernald
« on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:16 »
48 Hours (November 17, 1988) Fernald

I spent 7.5 years there; it had the best social environment of any facility I have worked at. It is a wet land now with a visitors center and onsite disposal site for low level waste. There are test beds in the wetlands the local university maintains. Many of the workers are actively seeking compensation for health effects.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: 48 Hours (November 17, 1988) Fernald
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2022, 03:01 »
Having been at many DOE sites, Fernald always seemed to be overblown for actual hazard by the longtime workers/local media.  Sure it was loose with controls until the 80s, but so were all the other sites.   

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2022, 04:33 »
Having been at many DOE sites, Fernald always seemed to be overblown for actual hazard by the longtime workers/local media.  Sure it was loose with controls until the 80s, but so were all the other sites.   

Concur, many DOE facilities were built when uranium was only dangerous if it fell on your head. I might add that some of the contamination at Fernald was preexisting. The aquafer was a basin under the facility with a limited inlet and outlet. Not to take away from the contamination from the facility. I believe that the water treatment plant is still there removing uranium from that aquafer. The water treatment methodology had to change when it was discovered that they were stirring up toxins that settled out in the basin from upstream. A pesticide facility if I remember right. They went to injection sites around the facility to recirculate back to the extraction points on site.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2022, 07:26 »
The water treatment plant is still operating under LM.  You don't hear about other contaminants potentially in the watershed and how much is making it in from the nearby Great Miami River (which was a toilet for ~100 years in SW Ohio).
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2022, 10:40 by Mounder »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?