Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BRAC 2005 Prototype Closure [Merged]

Author Topic: BRAC 2005 Prototype Closure [Merged]  (Read 29693 times)

shayne

Re: BRAC 2005 to include Ballston Spa?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2005, 09:17 »
I don't believe that NY was overlooked in the last rounds.  Remember that KAPL had part of the design for the Seawolf AFR core that also became the focus of the New CVX project.  I do believe Naval Reactors choose the AFR core to power the next generation Carrier.  Kapl is operating that core now at S8G. 

To close the base there, the Navy would have to continue to do reasearch for the Naval Reactors Program.  Naval Reactors is running out of reasearch facilities.  To have NY stop student training would require more facilities to be added to the SC prototype.

It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Story posted on Sunday, Feb 20
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=542&e=2&u=/ap/base_closings
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2005, 01:24 by Shayne »

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:44 »
It appears that Bettis is decommissioning many of its old facilities - anyone know who is doing that work - I have heard both Afftrex (?) and Duratek is doing D&D work there.
Decomm Man

nevins_03

« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2005, 01:40 »
just figured i'd chime in here. im at the ballston spa site right now and there are no plans to stop training students any time in the near future. at one point in time, the naval support unit was being considered for closure, but now they are adding a commisary and a larger uniform shop. remember, the navy just uses the site for training (the sites original purpose)...we dont own it, so we cant close it. the only navy 'command' that could be considered for closure in ballston spa is the NSU, but like i said, that isnt happening either.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2005, 01:52 »
Whats up at Bettis in the decommissioning area ?? 

I read lots of dollars going into that at Bettis in the authroized Congressional budgets posted on line.
Decomm Man

nevins_03

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2005, 01:58 »
hmm...wish i had more info on the charleston site. we here in ny have caught wind of the proposed addition of the third sub mentioned earlier, but i havent heard about any decom at bettis.

shayne

« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2005, 03:22 »
Keep in mind that because the Navy is spending money on the facilities doesn't mean it will not be shutdown.  The Navy spent millions in 1992 and 1993 upgrading the Nuclear Power School barracks, building new high rise buildings, a new galley, new conventional ET 'A' school, and remodeling 1 or the 2 RTC Galleys when it was decided to close down RTC and NTC Orlando.  The Navy was also spending lots of money on landscaping to make it nice to convince congress not to shut it down.

java

« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2005, 09:04 »
Currently stationed at NPTU Ballston Spa...

Maybe I can shed some light on this. We do believe that NSU Saratoga could be on the closure list... But all they really do there anymore is administrative work. Navy Housing (if you can call it that anymore) has been sold to civilian contractors and is no longer even inside the gate at the NSU. But, navy personnel do get priority when applying. I have been told that NPTU will remain open, the only thing we will really loose is some administrative support, and a Mini-Nex... Which is kindof a waste to be there anyways. I don't know anyone who uses it.

shayne

« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2005, 10:43 »
Well keep in mind that the none of that Administrative support facilities in Saragota was never behind any fences prior to 9/11.  The Navy housing was always done by local small business contractors.  I believe the long range plan was to move the Scotia facilities to Saratoga, but that may have changed in the last few years.

wetbedknob

Re: BRAC 2005 Prototype Closure [Merged]
« Reply #33 on: Apr 11, 2005, 08:40 »
They did move the scotia facilities to saratoga. They had a plan where there would be a rotating maintenance shift and planned shutdowns for the plants to save both fuel and downtime. They were plannng it out as I was leaving. They would have 3 of the 4 plants up at all times.

banzaitoyota

« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2005, 06:07 »
Who remembers back in 82(or was it 83?) when the term "cartoon kegger" was prohibited from being mentioned at quarters? In response to the tragic deaths of many previous classmates due to DUI's, the term was then changed to "Tea and Crumpets" (at least at MARF).

It was also a "custom" (albeit in extremely poor taste) to bring your empties in and deposit them at the DUI wrecked car located on the entrance road.

mmmm. other bad thing to do while attending prototype training: Blasting past the CO of the site on the inside curve on your bike while you are late for your dental appointment at Ballston Spa.

bmr176

« Reply #35 on: Jul 01, 2005, 09:53 »
i just heard that one of the prototype reactors is getting shut down and they will be sending most of the people to new york.

is this at all true?

Are you getting ready to go to prototype?  I think this a rumor that gets started with every class.  It happened in my class and the class before mine.

You don't sound like you want to go to NY Balston Spa.  It is a great place.  I have very fond memories of it up there.  I would consider going back but my wife is a southern gal and wants to stay south of the Mason-Dixon.

Offline GordonFreeman747

• Nuclear Repair Mechanic, USN
  • Very Lite User
  • Four more for my country
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2007, 05:10 »
hmm...wish i had more info on the charleston site. we here in ny have caught wind of the proposed addition of the third sub mentioned earlier, but i havent heard about any decom at bettis.

Speaking of rumours... when I was still on ustafish, there was a lot of talk going around that our boat was scheduled for decom in 2011, and afterwards would be converted to an MTS.  That might have changed though, seeing as how they just won the Battenberg cup last year... The bigwigs might just want to keep her around for a little longer.
I am a highly trained attack towel!

LaFeet

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 10:25 »
I played that golf course many times, and take my advice, watch out for the gators around the waterline or laying in the fairway.

Yeah, but if you are brave (and fast enough) you can really clean up on a lot of free balls.
While on the Narpig, we used to play there often, even in the snow 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?