Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Who Taught you?  

Author Topic: Who Taught you?  (Read 75290 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Who Taught you?
« Reply #75 on: Aug 30, 2014, 10:25 »
Although I'm relatively new to the nuke business, going on 1 year now. I have to say that my father Jim Slattery has been instrumental in my career path.
Not only did he raise me to be the person I am today, he also has helped me in any way he could with studying and finding work.
I'm happy to say I'm following in his footsteps and will be leaving for my first RP job in 3 weeks.
Thanks Dad.

I'd have to say that Jim Slattery had a role in my career as well.  There are too many to name them all.  Perhaps I'll try some day.

Wlrun3

« Reply #76 on: Aug 31, 2014, 02:43 »
Along time ago at Palisades I and Asa and Jim were watching the remote monitors and Asa said "it's floating."
A small lead pig containing used in-core detectors had floated out of its larger container on the floor of the flooded reactor cavity.
It bobbed to the surface in a flood of bubbles and quickly sank back to rest on the lip of the larger pig on the reactor cavity floor.
No one had ever seen anything like it and what had happened to the pig, weighing hundreds of pounds, defied explanation.
In the excited confusion of the cramped and dark remote monitoring room I recall Jim mumbling something about the accumulated boron residue on the small screens on the bottom of the small pig having held the the air inside the pig, causing it to float, and when it broke the surface the boron on the screens was cleared by the expanding air and the pig sank.
This was the worst iodine outage the old plant had ever seen, caused by leaking source assemblies, and the novelty of the floating pig was quickly forgotten as the plant struggled to recover...
On my last day standing in line with an operator I brought up the topic of the paradox of the floating pig. He explained that the investigation had determined that accumulated boron on the screens beneath the pig had allowed the pig to retain the air inside causing it to float and when it broke the surface the clogged screens were cleared by the expanding air allowing the pig to sink.
Given the confusion in the remote monitoring room I would be surprised if Jim remembers saying this.
I don't think I or Asa had ever seen the screens beneath the small pig and wouldn't have put two and two together to figure this out even if we had.
I believe that the way Jim began his career gave him the advantage of having seen the most obscure and least visited of the thousands of components, systems and tools in the plant.
That moment in the remote monitoring room forced me to pursue an understanding of the in-core monitoring system in the Combustion Engineering pressurized water reactor.
Had it not been for Jim's off hand comment, the topic of apparent second nature to him, the function, design and all evolutions involving the in-cores would, for me, be nothing more than a vague blur.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2014, 02:47 by Wlrun3 »

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #77 on: Sep 03, 2014, 12:32 »
Who Taught you?: How can you really answer that? I've been in the nuke world from 1981 till now in some form ether Decon or RP. Through out the years and even today there has been a lot of people on both sides impact my learning.To say one or a few has taught me where do you start the list would be so long, but if I can I want to thank my Dad ( GOD BLESS HIM) for he is the one that stood by me when I was heading the wrong way, he was the one that taught me the ways of open mind, always thanks ahead and sometimes outside the box. My Dad taught me to never give up, if things don't work one way try another, be kind to others and to take pride in what ever you do.
Now to all you that thanks those words are bull and don't go along with topic, think about this in our everyday job task both physical , mental and dealing with others just how much of those words do we use, so I want to thank Dad!! thats all folks!!
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:37 »
My first commercial plant was Maine Yankee as a summer student in 1979.  Doing power entries by myself gave me the self confidence to perform just about any task I was given.  Great Numanco guys really helped during my formative years at IP2.  Gladney, Sky Dog, Marg, Greenfeld and the list goes on.  I was a oretty good hearts player after that also.
LM

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #79 on: Sep 03, 2014, 04:14 »
Who taught me? That's a good question....

I'll go with Nate Bridges. He taught me how to do my first survey.

Then I'll go with Brian Perkins from Cooper. He taught me how to be graceful under fire.

Dave Dole taught me how to shine under the bright lights of CTMT and SGs

Kirtland Young taught me that you CAN have friends in this business

And last but NOT least, Todd Willis taught me the in's/out's of leading a DOE project.

Thank you all for helping me develop as  HP/RP/RCT.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #80 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:23 »
And last but NOT least, Todd Willis taught me the in's/out's of leading a DOE project.

Todd taught me a thing or two as well.

Dinerp

« Reply #81 on: Sep 05, 2014, 04:53 »
Just about every house tech at Palo Verde, past or present since 2004.

old raddog

Re: Who Taught you? ( 1980)
« Reply #82 on: Sep 11, 2014, 01:05 »
1980, here is a few

Ralph Jacobs, Bill Debo, Jerome Bradshaw, Terry Stout, Gordon Blanchi. John Shoemaker. Bob DunsMeyer. D.Wood,
Jeff Umbra. T.Saunders. R.Long, L.Crawford, Bob Fram, Joe Prinski. Tim Cates. Stan Fairley. There is a list of more but this is just to name a few. Also owe a lot to Frank Corris.

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #83 on: Apr 26, 2019, 07:39 »
It's been a few years so I think I'll refresh the thread: I'll add Joe Mccadoo to the list for teaching me the standards I still try to live by!
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2019, 07:40 by Radwraith »
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #84 on: Apr 26, 2019, 08:46 »
I got my basics in the Navy, but I can attribute my commercial learning to many. First of all, I have to thank Chuck Pierce for giving me the opportunity to get into the business. If you were loyal to Chuck, he took care of his techs, going well beyond what was required. Pete DiChiara, (an incredible technical mind), John Oetken, Jim Ledford, Frank Visosky, Bob Vogel, Gene Imbimbo, Bernie Barker, Pete Rannels, and later on Chris Wend (another incredible technical mind). There are main more and I'm sorry if I didn't mention you, but quite frankly, at 69, I've forgotten too much. Then there were several, that will remain nameless that tought what not to do. And then of course there was trial and error. Maybe not friends, but good teachers.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #85 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:58 »
I got my basics in the Navy, but I can attribute my commercial learning to many. First of all, I have to thank Chuck Pierce for giving me the opportunity to get into the business. If you were loyal to Chuck, he took care of his techs, going well beyond what was required. Pete DiChiara, (an incredible technical mind), John Oetken, Jim Ledford, Frank Visosky, Bob Vogel, Gene Imbimbo, Bernie Barker, Pete Rannels, and later on Chris Wend (another incredible technical mind). There are main more and I'm sorry if I didn't mention you, but quite frankly, at 69, I've forgotten too much. Then there were several, that will remain nameless that tought what not to do. And then of course there was trial and error. Maybe not friends, but good teachers.

I am a few years behind you but a lot of these names I had forgotten and made me smile for a number of reasons. Gold fish in the heels of disco shoes, one whose kids who maintained A averages while on the road, practical jokes at work and parties after. Most of what I learned after the Navy had little to do with anything technical.

8)

TVA

« Reply #86 on: Apr 27, 2019, 10:36 »
John Oetken is a heck of a good guy.

radbrat

« Reply #87 on: Apr 27, 2019, 08:50 »
I'll double down on that, J.O.s disposition is super, learned a lot from him at Fermi.

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #88 on: Apr 29, 2019, 01:38 »
I'll go with Dr Jay Rencher in Idaho Falls. Class 7408.

Offline Al Eidson

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #89 on: Apr 29, 2019, 02:41 »
Mark Rubin, Ronnie Hernandez, Bob Otey and many more back in the good ole days of IRM and cash per diem. Every outage was a learning exercise. We had many a good time and someone always had your back and the job was always covered.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #90 on: Apr 29, 2019, 03:04 »
I'll go with Dr Jay Rencher in Idaho Falls. Class 7408.

I loved his stories, I can't remember the name of the other civilian RadCon instructor but he was on the recovery team for SL-1 and had some very good stories too about the early years of the Navy nuclear program. I would have to agree that they taught me more than anyone else about theory, then we entered the Navy programmatic system where we used very little of it. (S1W 71-02)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #91 on: Apr 29, 2019, 10:56 »

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #92 on: Apr 30, 2019, 11:37 »
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,38987.msg187537.html#msg187537
I remember things like he would be on a mountain with his 270 Weatherby aiming at an elk on another mountai.
I don't recall the other guys name, but I do remember his SL-1 stories.

TVA

« Reply #93 on: Apr 30, 2019, 06:23 »
Doc was a good dude

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2019, 03:03 »
I can't remember the name of the other civilian RadCon instructor but he was on the recovery team for SL-1 and had some very good stories too about the early years of the Navy nuclear program.

Arlo Trost was the other instructor he was the first to enter SL-1 with a meter.

http://www.memorialsolutions.com/sitemaker/sites/WoodFu2/obit.cgi?user=344423Trost

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2019, 11:04 »
wow, what a memory, Arlo Trost along with Doc Rencher!

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #96 on: Oct 31, 2023, 09:55 »
Time for a refresh! Been a long time so now it's usually my junior's showing me new approaches to old problems!
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?