Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Who Taught you? honeypot

Author Topic: Who Taught you?  (Read 75312 times)

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
Who Taught you?
« on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:40 »
We've had threads about best and worst SC, Hottest babes and legendary techs, But; Who taught you to survive (And hopefully flourish!) in the business?  For me there are a few names that come to mind...

John Mates (Sage) and Bob Zelanca: Taught me the ins and outs of a business I would have never figured out for     myself ;D

Jed Ball: Taught me the basics of job coverage ( And that there ain't nuttin to be skeered of! 8))

Frank Robinson: For picking up where Jed left off (The Arcane why it is so stuff!  :o)

and Finally Todd Roberts (Unknowingly!) For motivating me to go look at what the Procedure/Ansi standard/CFR actually says rather than just being beat up by it ;).
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

radgal

Re: Who Taught you?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:57 »
Oh too many to name.  I got my start from my ex John Tinnin who I have to admit  taught well and was always there for advice.  Been to lots of plant and places and don't want to leave anyone out so thanks to everyone who taught me how to be a good HP.   I believe you can learn something from everyone in the biz ya just got want to.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2005, 02:56 »
I had many "abusive Sr.s" during my Jr. time that helped mold me into what I am today, whatever that might be.  Buddy Burkett, Larry Brantley, Trent Lancelot, Bo Straub, Mike Dragosljvich, Jack Horne,
Barry Keele, Enky(sp?)Shelton, John McAvoy(sp?),Don Morgan, to name a few.  They actually tried to
teach you something and let ya do stuff rather that just send you in to do the shiftly or smear and clear
until your arms fell off.

JnyMac

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2005, 04:54 »
Atomic_Punk I was right there with ya.  I was taught buy some of the guys on your list.  I also got it from Kris Hammond, Steve Reed, Ric Garcia, and Rick Doherty.  Love their teaching techniques.  Here put these papers on, put your respirator on, and get you butt on the platform.  I'll tell you when to come out or when you screw up.  We had some pretty good times.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2005, 06:50 »
JnyMac, I worked with all your boys also.  All classics.  Garcia: "Did I change out the air samples?  Meeeee, Seeeenior, yooooouuuu, juuuuuuunior!  Get your @$$ in there and change them!"
Doherty:  "Stay out of my way, I'm on a roll!  I'll let ya know if I need anything!"

Offline Lady Nuke

• HP Tech
  • Light User
  • Management is at it again!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2005, 05:05 »
I would have to pay homage to Maha (rip), Pappy Engel (rip), Keith LeClair, Alan Daniell, Shawn Buckallew (Big Buck) and many, many more "old timers" for teaching me the do's and don'ts of this business.  Every one of them had something to pass along to new people coming along. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2005, 06:08 »
this is a list that's gonna keep gettin modified as the memories warm up!  again!  willie wonka, clarkie, harold dodge, king of the road, rdtroja, larry addis, laffey, joe kosmal, rege greenfield (ain't sure about that surname,the green part is real, it's da rest of it that is blurry), frank corris, 'n fraaaannnnk too, barley_buddy, frank hamaker, joe worley, don feddern..... more to follow, i am sure.  all lessons were valuable, some were technical, others were business, some were good, others bad, but learning came from all.
dean patterson, eli croby jr, ed schnell...
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2005, 06:49 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2005, 06:11 »
I have to give all respect to "Technician A". thanks for showing me what not to do.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2005, 12:53 »
After leaving health and education for 18 years and joining the nuclear world I have become a much happier person.  It is a field unto itself.  I love my job and everyday there is something new to learn or experience.  I have had many, many fine HP's share - mentor me and show me the ropes.  A great big thanks  :) :)to them all!  Many of the exceptional techs taught me: Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives." -- Willa A. Foster

"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2005, 02:44 »
RomE, 'nuff said.

Doc_REM

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2005, 04:40 »
My list would have to start back in the late '70's...had a lot more brain cell's then!!! :D

Moongate, Billy M, George Anulockis(sp-), Tom Merdy,....the list could go on for every...If'n I only had a Brain to remmeber all those that took the time to teach me! And how do you thank them for what they did...hopefully you taught someone something in your time....... ;)

shovelheadred

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:06 »
............It was late 70's..Bob Davis, Duff Dyer..USS NIMITZ..............mid 80's.first and last house job.Larry Werner, Rick Gordie, Omer, Paul Harlos, Paul Perue,Alan Fike,what a crew!!!!!!!!....Duke Power was very good to me for a few years..Harvey Joe Price, Melvin Smith, Gerald Dansby....Gerald Parker was a good friend and mentor for years.......David Romaine and Dick Countz turned me on to DOE  in 95 and made me sware not to tell a sole about it......that lasted about 5 years and then it wasnt top secret any more.........John Ritzo turned me on to Master-Lee and then I could wear a couple different hard hats,,,,,,,But Uncle Sam taught me that if you work for IRM you better pay your taxes.ONTIME.......red

workinman

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2005, 01:09 »
I too cut my teeth with the likes of Atomic Punk at PV.  Hats of Jim McDonnell, Frank Dinch, Tony Serrano and the rest of the crew for their mentoring! I'll even give credit to JnyMac!  But the one that stands out is the Honorable "Tom Roe".  A true friend and teacher!

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2005, 01:16 »
Ah, yes!  The Honorable Tommy Roe.  One the few human beings I've met in my life who was more sarcastic than myself.  And I mean that in a GOOD way!  One of the more intelligent ones I've met along the way.

ramdog_1

« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2005, 02:42 »
I got all I needed to know at handford.
then on the road Bob Drake tuned me up! thanks Bob. IE DUCK

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:06 »
For teaching me the bad (but fun) old ways; Joe Worley, Pete Krebs, Wayne Otto, "Wildman" Ray Perry, Maha(RIP)...

For teaching me the right ways; Don Reisinger, Rusty Robinson, Al Edson, Dave McDaniel...

I thank you all!

SBH
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

tonynuke

« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:55 »
I've been very lucky in my relatively short time in the biz to work with many people who are more than willing to steer me in the right direction, and also to work right beside me.  Not only in the actual work, but also in the politics and other junk that sometimes surrounds us.
Thanks to you all!

alphadude

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:30 »
Bill Haller, Charlie Thames, John Wright, Frank Mc Fadden (sometimes),

the dark side
MAHA, Kiman, Eli, DaNucci, Perry,

the mondo side
Vita Abar-naturrally
Nare Bare aka ms LD50  :P
Ballard

the back stab side
Patsky
Hines
Elkins

easy money side
LD50 - u da man!!

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:58 »
I've never stopped learning from others. (I try not to make the same mistakes i've seen and dulplicate the neato stuff I witnessed.)
I learned the basics from Nuke Subs in the Navy and once the blinders came off in the real world of Nukedom I've learned and passed on as much as I can to my fellow nukeworkers.......although the latest crop of Techs think my stories are made up....if they only knew what the industry was like pre-FFD.

My thanks to all of you who helped out fellow nukeworkers, pass it on.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

ageoldtech

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:35 »
“Mad” Jack Fowler, Crawford Asbell, Terrell Simmons, Dale Chapman, Ricky Wise may he rest in peace, just to name a few.

hutch

« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:35 »
well been an rct for 4 years at a DOD site... many old timers still around willing to help us young guys who really want to learn and not just sit the point (man thats the worst job on the water front) or do weeklies...
-lou for slapping me when i screw up and saving my as* and showing me how things really happen
-george for knowing when to walk away..and buying all the beer after work
-gary for never screwing up my time
-larry for showing me how to over do swipes (25 0n a PB hookup..come on)
-charle for showing me how NOT to do a gamma survey
-and all others who have contributed to me becoming the learned tech i am today i couldnt have done it without you...

coshaun

« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:22 »
Mike Squires, Don Leonard, Mike O'Shaughnessy, Bubba Bear, Chuck Busey, Dan Webster, Alan Fike, Paul Perue, Omer Olgesby, and the list is long.... I miss the ol' Hatch days.... everyone except Dorsey.

Chefmike

« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:48 »
You learned from Mike Squires?  Anyway the Hatch days of old will never be the same.  As for Dorsey, he was a good man in his own way.  He was tough on some and better on others.  Good technicians learn from their own mistakes and ask the right questions to the right people.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2006, 09:49 »
who did i learn from..id have to say nukewoker!! lolol..yes its true..let me explain..

after attending college to be a HP tech..my husband died..so i stayed home with my children and raised them..i was unable to go on the road. When the children were raised..15 years later, some friends of mine referred me to this site, and to Bartlett.

Nukeworker has been there for me as i took endless practice tests..studied..watched silently..i learned and relearned this industry.. I now work for Bartlett..i began again in the industry as a deconner..learning more and more with every job i go to, and every tech i encouter teaches me something. Im booked for the next 3 months and anticipate next year to be working almost all year.

Thanks to Nukeworker and thanks to Eric and thanks to everyone that in their own way , supported my dream without even knowing it..from the jokes that made me smile, to the person who wrote the quizzes..and the people who donated to keep this site open for techs like me ..who couldnt afford to at the time..I think this is the longest post ive ever written.Ya'll have a great day  :)

NukeGirl
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2006, 09:59 »
Jack Horne, Ken Larson, Ira Perkins, Steve Ruisi to name but a few of the people I have garnered a lot of insight from.  After 10 years in the business I have found that to stop listening and learning from others would be the biggest mistake one could ever make.

Cheers,

J. Rodgers
aka Stormgoalie
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?