Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Who Taught you?  

Author Topic: Who Taught you?  (Read 75327 times)

Offline bigjohn666

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Who Taught you?
« Reply #50 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:03 »
Peach Bottom in the early eighties. That place taught you everything you needed to know about contamination and radiation. The place was a mess and a herd of us bartlett boys were run through there over the years.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:43 »
I am humbled that ShovelheadRed included me on his list.  Especially since he did about 90% of my sign-offs when I transferred to the Nimitz!

From my Navy days I'd count Steve Dyer from my days aboard the Texas as my original mentor.   He set me up for success when I moved on to the Nimitz.  Once there, Bud, Bob Davis, Duff Dyer, and Jim Strzlylcyk (something like that) proved to be good teachers.

But as for commercial HP work - which for me has all been at BFN - I'd put Perry Byrd, Marty Hazel, Danny Bohlender, and Rick Schmehl on my list. 
Dave

On The Road

« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:28 »
I have been taught by many....I started at Peach Bottom around 1986 and you learned just about everything about Decon there that there is to learn. I worked with a great group of people there. Spent about 5 years there, before I decided to go on the road...

Worked with Brian Hastings, Bart Kauffman, Gary Adams, and many more, sorry if I forgot any of you and spelled you name wrong, it's been a long time...

Now just starting out as a House Tech. I will be learning from some old friends that are here as House Techs also....

rocket20

« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2008, 05:12 »
My best friend  TC Tom Crawford. I am no longerin the biz but still remember everything he told me. To this day I miss working with my friend. What a great teacher. As Tom would say
DILLIGAF.

hatched

« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2008, 05:30 »
Wesley Purvis from Hatch had a lot of patience with me THANKS, i learned well ... :)

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #55 on: Mar 21, 2008, 12:05 »
When I first wrote this thread Rick Kelling was still alive (And far too grumpy to want to be recognized ::)!). I didn't realise how much he had taught me or how much i would miss him till he passed. So... Before the moderator zaps me for off topic :-\, I need to add Rick to my list!
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #56 on: Mar 22, 2008, 03:43 »
Peach Bottom in the early eighties. That place taught you everything you needed to know about contamination and radiation. The place was a mess and a herd of us bartlett boys were run through there over the years.

dat wuz when it wuz a fun place.   eye yam tinking it wuz better'n when rad services ran da show.... aye meen, rad didn't have eye squared as a site coordinator!!!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #57 on: Mar 22, 2008, 11:23 »
   Yea, Back in the mid to late 80's.
      My teachers were Jeff Gardner, who is now a VP with EnergySolutions.
       Also the guys who really beat me up so I could learn were Gary Shelton
       and Mike Oneal.  I wonder where these two are now??

irishfan

« Reply #58 on: Apr 02, 2008, 03:09 »
  Back in 88' when I started at Cook it was a S/G change out.  Too many people to remember.
But, I do remember sorting trash with Olga!  Those were the fun days! 
 I also remember working on the decon crew with Slatts, Dan Rosenhagen, Jeff Jackson, Tony Graack, Chris Covington...So Many More.  They were not shy at tell you how things should be done. :)

But, mostly I remember the study classes that Marty Erickson held for us at ANO in the early 90's. 
Cathy

LaFeet

« Reply #59 on: Apr 18, 2008, 09:23 »
 Heck,  Im still a learnin

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #60 on: Apr 18, 2008, 09:41 »
One of my favorite sayings is "If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted the day!"  (drove my daughter nuts in high school). 
During the Navy day on Tender and Sub I had Mike McGarry, Jim Bickerstaff, Jeff Garner, Mike McCovy, Don Kiesling and many more I am sure.  It was a good feeling to be "the teacher" before it was time to get out.
Since going commercial it has been more of a give and take, learning and sharing at the same time.  Some of the names that really stick out include Dale Wiesner, Ned Volsted, Mark Lanny, Steve Murano, and Pete McAlister.  Again there are many, many more!  The most memberable is propably Pete.  You have not had fun at an outage till you work with him!!!

I hope I have helped some also.  Don
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

shelton

« Reply #61 on: Sep 05, 2008, 07:33 »
I can tell you where Gary is because he is my brother.  He has been playing HP in the Oakridge community for about 10 years now. 

Ink

Offline KKibler

• Very Lite User
« Reply #62 on: Jun 07, 2010, 09:23 »
 ::) SKULL ORCHARD
               Too Many To Thank...All the ANO RP Supervisors in the
                80's....Dan Stoltz, Jim Smith ,MacIntosh, ,Terry Byrd (taught me the formulas)
                First 18.1 Cover Rx Letdown line replacement,SG Jumpers,replacement MUV valves
                Sink or Swim... I won the olympics lol

Karen (Martin)Kibler

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #63 on: Dec 11, 2012, 10:12 »
In the Yard...Rick Caulfield!  With attitude examples by Troy Nelson & Merlin 'Mac' McAfee.

Down South (the knowledge AND the attitude)...John Inman.

Gave me the Keys-to-the-ROAD!  Karen Barcal.

Provided me enlightening examples on attitude &/or priorities (on-the-job OR in life)...June Gessner, Ray Watson, Ken Larson, Bob Thomas, Sue Jones, John Zeilstra, Connie Green, Steve & Amanda Holcomb, Nancy Marx, Hal Rowberry, Doug & Rita Dempsey, Mike Goetz, Rich & Lynn Cooper, Ray Thomsen, Wendell & Lynn Baker, Christine Eyre, Bob Erickson, Mark Walden, Bill Orr, Jim Knight, Don Schelb, Ron Keaton, Larry & Winnie Williams, Dale Anderson...

Taught me that stories & entertainment are very important in getting thru the job (and life) - Steve Brush, The Traveling Rowberrys, Jimmie Etue, Cam Gibson, Dean Butler, Tom Romansky, Jack Conrad, 'Doc' Gallagher, Dave Garza, Mike Ledo, Matt Bourne, Randy Schultz, Mark Yoas, Brett Chenier, Mike Dhabolt, Arlan Otto, Don Shehane, Jimmy Youngstrom, Matt Wright...

AND thanks to those who keep re-teaching me that this stuff is FUN...like Mark Fry, Kathy Henry, Rick Parke, Mike Newgaard, Chris Tiemens, Rob Goodrich...

Addendum 1

John Bennett - taught me the value (and fun) of throwing yourself 100% into (on to?) a job...GET A LITTLE ONYA!

Doug Dempsey - First person who ever pointed out (to me) that this job is fun!  And, it is okay to admit it!

More NukeWorkers who have fun...and make it fun for me!  Rebecca & Jon Case and James Rowsell.

Thanks!

James also taught me that valuable concept:  'The D.O.E. Filter'.  It kept me sane thru another bout of I.N.L.-silliness...

And on the I&C side, a shout-out to Dave Siereveld, Dave Gault, & Clyde Lewis for showing me how it should be done...

...and a nod to Kenny Johnson for his patience in training me.

THANKS!  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2012, 10:57 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #64 on: Dec 12, 2012, 01:04 »
Upon reading your list I see Bob Thomas's name... I ran into him and Janet at the Fair in Sept, it was great to see them again, didn't have enough time to catch up much, but, it sure was good to see them.

BK

milo124

« Reply #65 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:04 »
Mike Miles, Jake Sasser Jr, Dick Beltz...  Just a few of the names I can remember that "taught" me how to play the game (I can still hear it - Booray!).   :)

surf50

« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:33 »
The one person who most influenced me was 'Jock' Crawford, our shift supervisor.
Knew what he was doing, never got excited or yelled, and when you asked him a stupid question he sat there and looked at you. And waited. Until you figured it out for yourself.

If we called him from containment during an outage, it'd better be REAL important, otherwise he'd say," Are you a Senior HP?".  We'd say, "Yes, Jock..."
"Well, then HANDLE it!...click."

I miss that guy.

Offline liam

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 14, 2012, 11:09 »
Jock Crawford made me a better supervisor and Jay Peck made me a better tech.  I owe both of them.

Offline bill10249

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:08 »
Reading all these I noticed some of you were taught by those I taught being old enough to have been Lead Tech on the ARK.  but I remember  the best of the best whether working at goblers Knob or my first plant for bobby Lenard  at Oyster Creek. I someitmes miss the road but am now one year from retirement maybe I will travel around and sell sandwiches at the gates like they use to at St. Lucie.
trains stop at a train station, busses stop at a bus station and now I sit at a work station working for DOE - you decide

RADBASTARD

« Reply #69 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:06 »
When I started out as a House tech at Salem back in 1981 the first 2 contract techs I was put with were the great late Bill Mahoney and Sharon Sparks from Pennsgrove n.j. at my first outage in 1982.
The first day I met Bill he said kid I like you let go get some drinks when we get off work. Well the rest is history.

I also learned alot from Cam and Jimmy Gibson they made he a better tech lol

Offline heavydose

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:11 »
 :-\ I learned from Einstein' s at over 30 some plants. The first outage is always the biggest. Late great Bob Reynolds, Art Flowers, Mike Novack  and just about all the techs listed. I remember when I was saw this web site the first time, the main topic was the plants I worked at. Sorry to see I did not make the list. in over thirty four years.

Offline allenmurrow

• Light User
« Reply #71 on: Mar 10, 2013, 03:08 »
Nothing compares to NLO training presented by Ken Flacco, "umm kkaaayyyy."
The "umm kkaaayyyy" count averaged about 47 per hour.

On a "for serious" note, he did make training rather entertaining while still covering the required material.

Thanks Ken!
Generic Fundamentals Study Website for BWRs & PWRs
http://nuclear.allenmurrow.com

Offline andreaslattery

• Very Lite User
« Reply #72 on: Aug 30, 2014, 05:19 »
Although I'm relatively new to the nuke business, going on 1 year now. I have to say that my father Jim Slattery has been instrumental in my career path.
Not only did he raise me to be the person I am today, he also has helped me in any way he could with studying and finding work.
I'm happy to say I'm following in his footsteps and will be leaving for my first RP job in 3 weeks.
Thanks Dad.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2014, 06:11 by andreaslattery »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #73 on: Aug 30, 2014, 05:23 »
Although I'm relatively new to the nuke business, going on 1 year now. I have to say that my father Jim Slattery has played a detrimental role in my career choice.
Not only did he raise me to be the person I am today, he also has helped me in any way he could with studying and finding work.
I'm happy to say I'm following in his footsteps and will be leaving for my first RP job in 3 weeks.
Thanks Dad.

Instrumental, perhaps?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline andreaslattery

• Very Lite User
« Reply #74 on: Aug 30, 2014, 06:01 »
Instrumental, perhaps?
Ha definitely had the wrong word in there, thanks.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?