Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu An obituary for the man who saved North Carolina from nuclear disaster honeypot

Author Topic: An obituary for the man who saved North Carolina from nuclear disaster  (Read 352 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline emcd0833

• Lurker
  • AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM
What a great story. I hope they make that movie about him and the men involved in that operation.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
those were wild times circling 24/7.  Most of the crash cases are still classified.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
grate story. any buddy have a feeling for the contact dose rate of the core?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
grate story. any buddy have a feeling for the contact dose rate of the core?

Having surveyed nuclear weapons on my boat, not very high. Both uranium and plutonium are self-shielding. We carried MK-45 nuclear tipped torpedo's that we called a twofer as the range of the torpedo and its effect blast range were the same (removed from boats in 1975). We also carried the Subroc torpedo tube launched missile/nuclear depth charge. The torpedomen working in the torpedo room did not get any detectable dose. The only people who got any detectable dose were the ELTs who sampled the primary plant and the occasional junior sailor whose temporary bunk on the torpedo handling racks ended up over one of the nukes (barely detectable). We both still got significantly less dose than someone ashore.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023, 12:39 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?