Career Path > Navy Nuke

Nuclear-trained sailors, considered the Navy’s ‘best and brightest,’ face mental

(1/1)

Marlin:
Nuclear-trained sailors, considered the Navy’s ‘best and brightest,’ face mental health challenges

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nuclear-trained-sailors-considered-navys-best-brightest-face-mental-he-rcna65393

Blacksnake66:
Mental Health in Veterans:

I have a friend here in Florida who's daughter was recently a Navy Nuke, discharged less than honorable.
She was in the prototype phase of her training when manditory COVID jabs were implemented.
She refused, was pulled out of training, harassed and pressured with threats to make her pay financially for her training up to that point.
She held, stayed in limbo for several months, then they released her.
That's real bravery and toughness.
And in hindsight the best damn move for her considering all we've learned about those shots and the after effects.
It did mess her up though and she's struggling out here now with anger, disillusionment and depression.
My wife's a trauma therapist and we're waiting for her to come around and see her.

When I was in, I just stood there in boot camp and medical and let the military jab whatever they wanted into me, an obedient, naive, raisin head.
In hindsight, I wish I had the knowledge, self-confidence and chutzpah to research, question and say "No" if I determined I didn't want it.

I recently worked with several young recently departed Navy Nuke sailors,
young enough that when I mentioned cruisers, they just looked at me with a blank stare.
A sub puke friend or mine told me to just tell them I was on a target, and they'd get that. They did. Arrrgggh....
Anyways, I was shocked that a few of them also reported disappointing and even traumatic times experienced while in the service,
and more than a few had no sentimental and positive memories of it like I mostly have, and were glad to get out ASAP.
That's terrible.

I also thought they'd be of lesser stuff, the "rate and schooling turned from a filter to a pump"
as I heard from a commercial nuclear training department head describe.
But, I found them to be solid sharp top shelf people who reminded me a lot of the guys I went through the program with.
It was a pleasure to work with them, get to know them, and it gave me hope about the future of our nuclear industry,
but not for the US Navy that can't seem to get it right for our sailors, unintentionally or hopefully not- intentionally.

Therapy I did for several years after the Navy:

1. Talk therapy, ok.
2. EMDR, powerful but it depends upon psychologist. (Do not do this without guidance, support and controlling the impacts to family and work)
3. Hypnotism, good, was a little helpful, but I only did a little.
4. Reike, Energy work- voodoo stuff, amazing experience. great balance to EMDR which can be dark and stressful by bringing in positive experinces.
5. SE, Somatic Experince, a great compliment to EMDR and better in many ways.
6. IFS, Integrated Family Systems, for me voodoo mind-F stuff, but the most powerful so far for healing and healthy living results.

My advice: Veterans with trauma, and struggles, please don't soley rely upon VA provided services.
Avoid mainstream advice written by journalist ding-bats. Also, realize that there's no shame in getting help in therapy.
Think of it in the way you think about accomplishing any goal and overcoming any obstacle.
If you're struggling and screwing up family, work, your life with personal issues- see the best you can afford, like you would with a personal trainer.
Don't go to Walmart for the most important things: your heart and mind- your life, and family.
Otherwise you'll get cheap Chinese made stuff.
See yourself and what you are- a high end sports car, and take it to the right and best place for tune-up and repair.
It's all just energy muddled, jammed up- mental, emotional, and spiritual energy.
Get it un-stuck, processed, healed, transformed and moving again.
Like software viruses, malware and spam in you, de-bug your system, then operate cleanly, even upgrade your OS software.

I had nothing but overwhelming anger, depression, disillusionment and debt when I first left the service.
Now I have a home, beautiful and awesome wife, two healthy kids... with little and manageable anger, depression, disillusionment and no debt.
Thanks to Lee, an ex-Navy Nuke coworker, and Dave Ramsey for the out of debt and finacial wellbeing I have.

You can do it to, so get on it.

GLW:

--- Quote from: Marlin on Feb 11, 2023, 08:43 ---Nuclear-trained sailors, considered the Navy’s ‘best and brightest,’ face mental health challenges

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nuclear-trained-sailors-considered-navys-best-brightest-face-mental-he-rcna65393

--- End quote ---

from the article (which is about a year old),...

In a statement, Capt. Scott McGinnis, the commanding officer of the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command, said........“Our curriculum is rigorous and the nature of our work is difficult, but our country’s national security depends on the performance of our aircraft carriers and submarines,” McGinnis said..........

bingo snowflake children!!!!

the NNPP is not training civilian nuclear power station operators,...

it is training sailors, who work in engineering spaces, whose job it is to keep that warship fighting to it's victory or it's bitter end, which will likely include their death,...

it's a warship,...

warship's win or get sunk while losing,...

sometimes, they even get sunk while winning,...

it is hard, it should be hard, it has to be hard,...

the USN does not pump up wannabe nukes with "best of the best of the best" for the wannabes' egos,....

they pump 'em up so on that day when it is dark in the spaces, with only battle lanterns to see with, and cold seawater rushing in, already waist deep, and you are the only sailor still breathing in your lower level engineering space, and you have to take a deep breath, go below the water surface, and find a valve and turn it closed to stop the ocean from pouring in and keep your submarine fighting for 15 more minutes to win whatever battle the Captain and his cohorts are fighting 150 feet and lots of steel bulkheads away from you,....

that you have the mental prowess to never let anything beat you until you are cold and dead, and you do all you can do to shut that valve until you either shut it or, you are cold and dead,...

anything less is not sat,...

because the boats and the ships are there to keep the ChiComs, the Soviets before them, and the IJN before them, on their side of the international date line and not on our side,...

sorry it's hard snowflake, but it needs to be, collateral damage is unavoidable,...

Marlin:
   I don't remember any suicides 70-78 but that was a different time. We had a 600-ship fleet and there were lots of places to go if you washed out. I have heard a few people compare the program then as a filter and today as a pump, more pressure to complete the course now. There were many who enlisted back then due to the draft, me included. Now there are fewer qualified candidates to enlist, less incentive to enlist, and fewer places to send washouts in a 300-ship fleet. I would be cautious today about recommending the Navy Nuclear Propulsion program to a young person. Just my opinion, if you have a young relative who is interested, they should know exactly what they are in for.
   I think that DEI contributes to the lack of candidates. Traditional military personnel tend to be conservative; todays military is less attractive to them.

[coffee]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version