Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu VC Summer Spring 2023

Author Topic: VC Summer Spring 2023  (Read 418 times)

Offline Blacksnake66

• Light User
VC Summer Spring 2023
« on: Mar 13, 2023, 01:28 »
First time heading to VC Summer.
Anyone know what the good areas and places to stay are?
Anything interesting to do around the area?
Anything to be acutely beware of?

Thanks-
BS

Offline Blacksnake66

• Light User
Re: VC Summer Spring 2023
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2023, 09:29 »
I guess this site isn't what it used to be.
No responces?
Is everyone retired, dead, moved to another platform, or been replaced by DEI programs?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2023, 01:12 »
I guess this site isn't what it used to be.
No responces?
Is everyone retired, dead, moved to another platform, or been replaced by DEI programs?

Most of the people that use this message board are our age (yours and mine), so yes, they are mostly retired, or later in their career.

The 'kids' use other social platforms. Depending on their demographics, it could be linked in, facebook, twitter or even maybe tic tok (I dunno, I don't use any of them.).
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2023, 01:13 by Rennhack »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2023, 04:41 »
I'll tell you what I've heard.  I've never been there.  I heard it's a good place to work from people who have been there, but that was a few years ago.  I knew a housetech there and he is a great guy.  I've heard it's a good place to have an RV.  I like Columbia (near Summer)  and they have a great small Zoo that I have been to. When I was there they had elephants which is rare for a small zoo.  Let us know how things are now.

Offline Blacksnake66

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:22 »
I had a good experience at VC Summer last Spring, 2023.
The pay is decent, the location requires some travel from lodging, but the area and drive is easy and attractive.
The plant was clean and decently maintained, though I did see signs of slipage there.
They suffered a massive brain-drain with the failed new construction and now retiring of staff.
Operations was mostly Navy Nukes, while the crafts were people from the area.
It reminded me a lot of Crystal River that way.
The shop I was in had a lot of new hires and so there was a huge gap in age, experience and culture between them and contractors.
The result was a division that wasn't closed easily and so an under utilization of contractors.
Most of the six weeks I was there was getting paid to sit with other contractors in the corner of the shop, not included in the work.
To be fair, the pay and per diem aren't high here and quals amongst contractors was spotty, so unless you know the contractor and they aren't very old, taking them out wasn't always helpful.
For example, I was working with an in-house tech and another contractor tech on the main turbine. The other tech not only didn't know what the proximity sensors we were repairing were, or how they functioned to protect the asset and unit, or how to adjust them, but she didn't even know we were working on a main turbine. No systems fundimentals. What really struck me was that as I explained these things to her she had a look of not caring one bit about it, no real interest. She was happy to be paid to carry tools.
So I could see how in house techs would then just leave contractors behind rather then pulling trainees around. Especially ones making as much or more than they were! I'd be distant too.
That's really on management to supply quality people to the shops and pay people properly.
Maybe in other departments they hire more qualified and capable techs and then train the new hires on how to work with them.
I joked with the in-house people that if they weren't going to put us to work, they should task us to start cleaning and organizing the shop, maybe even wash their trucks in the parking lot, anything but sitting for twelve hours on our phones. A few contractors even pulled out iPads and watched entire movies during the work day while others around them worked. Pretty audacious, but nobody in-house said anything to them. One older contractor who had just finished a difficult job had enough and lost it. He grumbled very out loud about the situation.
That was refreshing and broke-up the boredom.
Overall, it's a a decent place, with decent people working against the odds to keep it clean, safe and functioning.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?